AN OLD FRIEND: Part 3

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Elin walks between Ardeth and Qui. They are several yards in front of you jovially chatting. Dinner was miserable to say the least. The food was too spicy for you to eat and no one talked to you during the entire meal. Needless to say, you're still hungry.

You pass by the shops which remain open languidly examining their wares. A shimery blue satin scarf glides in the breeze catching your eye. You touch the cool fabric wanting it immediately.

"I just received it today." The shop keeper says. "It is nice."

"More than nice. It's beautiful." You purr and hold it against your face. Smooth, soft and cool. "How much?"

"Twenty dactari."

You grin and open your purse. You see that you only have five. You caress the fine fabric again. You know Qui and Ardeth have more money. You look ahead, they are still walking and talking.

"Never mind." You say quietly.

The shop keeper nods as you move on. You go to a produce vender and buy a piece of fruit. You hungrily bite into it and continue strolling. The three are far ahead of you and don't seem to notice your absence.

"Chana? Chana Fey-Jinn?" A male's voice calls behind you.

You turn. Your eyes greet Russell Garr, a former teammate and friend. You did two tours with him.

"Russell?" You turn your head.

"I knew it was you."

You two hug warmly.

"How are you?" You beam. He stills wears what the service calls white walls, hair cut razor short on the top and sides. The cut is so blunt you can see the color of the wearers' scalp peeking through the hair.

Sgt. Russell Garr was your running buddy. You guys ran point together, jump school, basic training and more importantly--- raised a whole lot of hell together. Whenever the chips were down Russ had your back.

"I'm great. How are you?"

"I'm fine." You gesture at him, "I see you're out of uniform."

"I didn't wear that thing all the time. Besides I'm out."

"Really? Since when?"

"Officially? Yesterday." He grins and blushes.

"Watch out. Civilian life is more dangerous than a rookie going operational for the first time."

"So I've heard." Russell flashes you a charming grin.

"How is Becca?" You ask truely interested. They were newly married when you left active duty.

"She was killed last year in a dispute with the Trade Federation."

"I'm sorry." You finish the rest of the fruit and toss it in a bin.

"Yea me too. It's tough but slowly I'm putting my life back together. Do you miss it? The shootin' and lootin', the transports...nights in the cantinas." Hazel eyes study you fondly.

"Sometimes I do," A grin crosses your lips, "damn when it was good it was good...but that last mission took something out of me."

You find talking with Russell easy. But then it always was.

"Oh, yea you left soon after that." He shakes his head, "We were all shitin' bricks for a long time. Thank the Force you made it. Did you carry to term?"

"Yep. A little girl."

He looks around, "Where is she?"

"She's at the Temple training."

"A knight?" He nods impressed, "I'm sure Becca would have wanted that. She was never really crazy about The Forces."

"Neither was Qui and Ardeth. You planning on rebonding?"

"Chana I don't know." He paces, "When she died, I literally felt a part of me go with her. That's devasting."

"I can't imagine."

"You know what it's like to be on the other side though. Too almost touch the ethereal plane is incredible."

"To tell you the truth I don't remember much. And I'm also not in a hurry to try and experience it again."

"I hear ya."

You both chuckle.

"Anyways, you look great." Russell gestures grandly, "You're positively glowing. But then again you never had a problem in the looks department."

Embarassed you stare at the ground. Lately you haven't felt so pretty.

Your hands caress the lose material around your stomach.

"I'm expecting." You nod and smile.

"Really?" He grins all teeth. "May I?"

You shrug, "Sure."

His hands hesitantly touch your belly. Then they firmly rest upon it. As if on cue, your babies kick.

"Whoa." Russell declared, "That's incredible."

"You think that's something try being on the receiving end of it."

"Now I can't imagine."

"When you and I first met, being a mom was the furthest thing from my mind." You declare laughing.

He laughs along with you, "Hey don't tell me space stories. I use to play Sabacc with you."

"You tried to play Sabacc with me. I just got all your money."

"That's probably why I stopped playing with you." He circles you, "The way you were with kids, including the base brats...you were a natural." Russell pauses as if he is going to say something and he thinks better of it.

"Chana." Qui says behind you.

Your smile disappears. You pause, "Russell, you remember Qui- Gon."

He shakes the Master's hand, "Yes I do. It is good to see you again. Ardeth it's a pleasure."

Qui and Ardeth peer at Russell stoically. Their typical mask of serenity is replaced with acrimony.

Now they are embarassing you. Russell's gaze is firmly locked upon you. He never did intimidate easily.

"Give me a call sometime. We'll have lunch."

You nod slightly. Qui-Gon guides you away.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||