MOSAIC: Prologue

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Callista Skywalker tapped her foot inpatiently against the smooth metal floor of the landing bay. Her red hair was getting in her eyes, but she shoved it out of the way anxiously. The ship had landed, but Dayved was taking forever in getting out of it to come and greet her.

He finally appeared, tall and handsome in his black flight suit, his smooth silver helmet under his arm. His warm brown eyes danced as he saw her, relishing her anxiety. "Been waiting long?" he asked in a droll, but he didn't get much beyond that before she threw her arms around his neck and cut off his oxygen supply.

"Dally like that again, Dayvie," she warned, her voice husky in his ear, "and you're going to realized how cold your bed can be."

He laughed. "And after I brought you a present, too."

She let go and looked up at him, her eyes--like blue-white newborn stars, Dayved had always thought--trying not to plead with him but unable to help themselves. "Well?" she said, practically dancing on her tip-toes. "Where is it?"

He reached into his helmet and pulled the cube out. It was the size of his hand, with strange markings on all sides, except for the top and bottom, which were the only giveaway that the cube was some sort of an electrical device. "I wasn't sure," he said. "I mean, it fits the description alright, but I'm not a Force sensitive. Only you would know."

Now she hesitated, Dayved thought with mild annoyance. Her hands hovered a good foot away from the device.

"The Skywalker Holocron," she whispered. "After all these generations...can it be?"

"Touch it and find out," Dayved said, his voice deceptively calm. He was dying to know, too. That thing had been locked in his ship for the last two weeks, and he'd gone through hell and back to get it. But if it was what it truly claimed to be, all of that would be worth it.

So she closed her palms around it, and instantly something happened.

He stepped away, then became afraid that Callista would instinctively react in kind and drop it. So he reached out again and clasped her two hands--which cupped the holocron--from underneath, holding them steady.

For indeed, it was the holocron.

The image that appeared on top of the cube was that of a woman. She was very beautiful, even in the old tech image. Her hair seemed to be alive, the strawberry blond curls tangling down her back like tentacles. And her eyes--a blue-green he hadn't seen even on the ocean worlds of Chad. They shone out at them, but mainly on Callista.

"Greetings," the image said, her voice rich and regal, like a woman of stately bearing. "My name is Vaiya Jade Skywalker. I am the daughter of Jedi Masters Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker, sister of Valery Ben Skywalker. You are Callista Skywalker, my great great great granddaughter. How may I serve?"

"It knows me," Callista whispered, her eyes on Dayved.

"God preserve us, Callie," Dayved said, wanting to laugh in frustration. "Do I know that much more about Jedi lore than you? Of course it knows you. Holocrons aren't just computers...they're a part of the Jedi that created them."

"Your friend is wise," said the image of Vaiya Jade Skywalker, "and is also Force strong, although he does not know it. You are not Jedi yet," the image stated, almost casually, "but you have much potential. How may I be of aid?"

Callista swallowed. There was so much...."Many of the legends of the Skywalker family have been told and retold through the centuries," Callista said respectfully. "Perhaps you could tell us the true story of the Skywalkers. Luke Skywalker's aid in the building of the Republic is well known, but nothing has been recorded of his and Mara Jade Skywalker's lives after their marriage. Perhaps...you could fill in the gap history has left for our family."

The image of Vaiya smiled. "A wise question. The past must always be understood to aid the future. Very well, Callista Skywalker, you will learn the story of your ancestors. But it is not all mine to tell. This Holocron is called the Skywalker Holocron for a reason. While I am its keeper, there are the wisdoms of the other Skywalkers that are kept here. There is another to tell the tale of my conception and birth."

The image faded, and another appeared, this one bedecked in a vibrant green robe that brought out her eyes, and hair as red as Callista's. She smiled at them, but it was a wry smile.

"Greetings, Jedi-to-be," she said, her voice like a dry purr. "I see you have discovered the Skywalker Holocron. The only Holocron to be built after the war between the Rebellion and the Empire, as well as the only Holocron to contain the knowledge of four Jedi Masters, rather than one." In a more humorous tone, she added, "Oh, the wonders in technology. But in reality, it took four Skywalkers to come up with enough wisdom to take the trouble of building this Holocron. Surely that doesn't make us an impressive family. I hope our generations have gotten smarter."

Dayved laughed. "I like her."

The image of Mara smiled. "Okay, you want the story. I warn you, I don't dress things up. Picture, if you will.....me, fifty pounds overweight."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||