MOSAIC: Part 4, Chapter 21
Child of Skywalker

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Mara had learned, as she got older, that there were fewer things in this galaxy that she could explain, much less understand. Word had gotten around about the possibility of Durran opening up again to offworlders, and at this particular inn, they were celebrating the lifting of the ban that had just gone through the Durranian government. It was experimental, they said, but with the new order of Jedi Knights firmly rooted in Durranian history, they felt safe. Palpatine, as they learned, was long since dead, and they even looked upon Mara and Luke in a sort of awe, as if they were not human beings but angels in disguise.

She had to smile at that. Angels were usually angelic. Vaiya's brief description of them did not match the image she saw in the mirror. She had been brought new clothes by the tennants of the inn, a welcoming gift. The place had thrown a big banquet, and had made a roaring bonfire. When the strange light had appeared in the sky, they rejoiced in the belief that it was a sign. Mara felt her heart stiffen at the sight, knowing it was the end of their battle.

For the time being, anyway.

She sighed and shut her eyes. She had come so far, had faced so much. But life was always full of problems, difficulties, trials. She knew her self-confrontation would never end--it would always be there, as long as she existed. The feeling that the worst was yet to come tingled in the back of her mind, but she pushed it back. Worry was useless. She had learned that some time ago. Now she was determined to practice it.

Luke came up behind her, silently, to where she stood on the long, wooden balcony that lined the back of the inn. The bonfire wasn't too far away, its golden light illuminating all those around it who laughed and drank and talked. But Luke and Mara were safely hidden in the shadows of the large trees that draped over the rail. She let him touch her mind, relishing the feel of his comforting presence. His hands went around her waist and pulled her tightly to him. Twenty years together had taught him well. He knew exactly how to handle her.

"Vaiya is okay," he whispered.

"I know," she said, her voice strangely hollow. "I felt it."

Luke nodded, then slowly buried his face in her hair, letting his breath flow over her. "You know, there isn't much difference," he said.

"In what?" she asked with an arched eyebrow.

"You now and you twenty years ago." She felt him grin.

"There are differences," she murmured. She glanced down at her hands. They had gotten smoother with her new youth. And she felt lighter, not so heavily muscled from her smuggling experiences. They had no idea how permanent the changes were, only that they could not be changed back.

"When we get home, we can put some more time into figuring out exactly what happened to us," Luke said conversationally, his eyes lifting up to the dissipating debris of Cal's space station. "And find out if there are going to be any sideaffects."

Mara scowled slightly. Luke felt it and looked at her, willing her to turn and face him. She did so, only half way, the moon light sillouetting the other half of her face. "It was the dark side that did this, Luke," she said, troubled. "I don't understand how we could have been bathed in that and not felt it already."

Luke shrugged. "You know, a lot of things I've encountered on other worlds that most people see as being magical, or even caused by the Force, turn out to simply be chemical reactions. I'm sure the brotherhood wouldn't succeed in a change this radical unless it was based in something scientific."

Mara sighed. "I guess so. I'll have Drianna look into it. She loves doing that kind of research."

"Actually," Luke cleared his throat, "Drianna and Derrin are going to go to Coruscant. They're Jedi now, Mara. They're going to help with some of the Durranian negotiations because they've been here."

Mara frowned. "What about us?"

"We're going back to Yavin," and then he stalled, realizing that he was giving Mara orders, making her decisions for her, something she couldn't stand. "Well I was hoping we would, anyway," he added quickly. "I mean, with Vaiya."

"If she comes back."

Luke took Mara's face in his hands. "Mar," he whispered, his forehead resting against hers, "you know she's coming back. You know she survived whatever Cal tried to do to her."

Mara nodded, her hands covering Luke's. "But she's not just a Jedi Knight," she reminded him. "She's a Master, with a will of her own. She may not want to stay on Yavin IV."

Luke cast his eyes aside, as if looking into the distance behind her. "Not for long, no. She'll have to move on. But for the time being, she's going to come with us."

"How do you know?"

"I felt it."

"Strange that I did not." His hand dropped from her face to her slender neck. She frowned, a little harder. "This de-aging thing...do you think it would decrease our Force sensitivity?"

It was Luke's turn to frown. "Are you saying you can't feel her at all?"

"No...it's just....I don't know. All I'm getting in some kind of overwhelming saddness." She shrugged. That had to be what was bringing her down. "Like Vaiya had to part with something."

Luke nodded. "I feel one thing, you feel another. I know I didn't feel any deep saddness. Who can say who's closer to who? I know one thing, though."

She glanced up at him, a slow smile creeping onto her face. His mind was playful now, his lips beginning a grin. "What?" she whispered.

"I'm glad I'm this close to you."

Her eyes brightened, and the smile crossed her face. "Damn you, Skywalker," she nearly giggled. "I don't know why you're sappy, romantic farmboy routine always--"

He kissed her. It made her feel young.


Vaiya saw her parents standing close together, trying to melt into the shadows but unable to hide from their own daughter. Her grip on the small hand in hers tightened, and she looked down, the distant firelight catching against her eyes.

Valery smiled up at her, silent. Neither of them dared to speak. This moment had been coming for nearly twenty years, and it no words could possibly fit it.

Mara was the first one to sense her, pulling slightly away from Luke to look over his shoulder. Luke followed suit, and they took a step apart, but their hands stayed latched together. First there was relief and pride as Vaiya approached from the path, her hair floating around her reflecting the light, her steps confident, unafraid, embodying everything a Jedi Master should be.

There was a dip onto the main platform, which she took without hesitation. Then she abruptly turned and reached for something following her in the shadows.

It was a young boy. Nine, maybe ten. Their relief turned to puzzlement as Vaiya took the boy's hand in hers, and began to lead him across to her parents.

She glanced to one side, feeling the familiar presences of both Drianna and Derrin, who nodded at her, respectfully silent as their eyes landed on the boy. They senses what this was. The entire place had to send it. It was as if something cosmically important were going to happen, some historical moment that would be theof an entirely new age.

Luke and Mara's puzzlement turned to confusion as Vaiya got closer, the boy just behind her in step. Then, as he neared them, their eyes widened and Luke stepped forward, Mara put her hands against her cheeks in astonishment, nearly reeling back from the shock.

Vaiya stopped before them, taking a breath. She looked down at Valery. "Valery Ben Skywalker," she said, her eyes full of laughter, "this is our father, Luke Skywalker."

The boy stepped closer to Luke, his grey eyes gigantic with joy. His young face was serene and beautiful as it glowed with his emotions. Luke dropped to one knee and pulled him into his arms without hesitation.

Vaiya stole a glance at Mara. Tears of joy streaked heavily down her cheeks--something she never experienced. Her face was like the stain glass windows of the First Temple lit by the sun. Her eyes glowed a brighter green than had ever been seen by anyone--save Luke--and her lungs forgot to breathe. The boy, Valery, looked at her, and gently pulled away from his father to step to her and embrace her, which she accepted with no hesitation. She shut her eyes as she hugged him tightly, the relief, the feeling of wholeness enveloping her.

Gently, she pulled him back to look into his eyes. Callista's eyes, Luke's delicate features, and Leia's thick, dark hair. She found herself laughing, not sure why but not knowing why not. "We've spent a long time looking for you," she managed.

He nodded. "I know. But I'm here now."

Then Valery turned back to Vaiya, but Vaiya was not watching them anymore. The other Jedi, Derrin, had approched her, with Drianna close behind. Derrin's hand was on Vaiya's shoulder, a comforting guesture, a welcoming guesture.

"Where is Larin?" Drianna asked.

Vaiya smiled and turned away, her eyes going up into the night sky. She was thinking about a hundred things--about Larin, about her future as a Jedi Master. She was thinking of how blessed she had been, that Yejion had made her so victorious in spite of her weakness, had even sent her His own angels to aid her. She even thought about Seth, and had to push away the pressing mystery of how their lives had touched the way they did, how maybe if things had been different...but he, too, had had to leave.

One dark shadow fell over her heart. She felt very much alone. Larin was not gone for good, but he was not here now. Without him, she felt empty, and it disturbed her. She had so much--why should just one person matter so much?

Valery stepped forward and threw his arms around her waist. She jumped and looked down at him startled. He grinned up at her.

"You've got me," he said.

She began to smile, and then laugh. "Yes," she said, brushing his hair back from his face. "I do." And she found that she knew the answer to her own question. Even though they were not blood, Vaiya could see Larin in Valery's eyes. They were bound together--their destinies were entwined. One way or another, she would see him again.

There was nothing else to do but live one day at a time....and wait.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||