MOSAIC: Part 4, Chapter 17
Victory

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Vaiya called upon everything that Syrian had taught her during that long year, but she was slipping. Seth was fuled by his rage, and in spite of his deep desire not to kill her, he was coming a little too close. His blade singed her hair, scorched her clothes, and hammered at her muscles as his blade slammed into hers again and again.

She had to do something quickly if she didn't want to get herself killed.

She reached out with the Force and shut her eyes, letting it guide her, praying for an opening where she could knock him down. Her sudden change in tactic took him by surprise--it wasn't often when an enemy suddenly went into a meditation in the middle of the fight. She could see the energy around him, and called upon it, drawing it away from him and slowing him down.

Their blades crossed and twisted as she let hers fall under his, then bringing hers back up to lock with his far to one side. He would have pulled back angrily, making her loose her balance and possibly fall right into his arms, if she had not let go of the saber with one hand and balled it into a fist.

And sucker-punched him right in the mouth.

Uncle Han would be proud, she thought. It seemed that he fell in slow motion, his bottom hitting the hard metal of the catwalk with a faint echo, his face comical with surprise and astonishment. She stood over him, both hands gripping the long handle of the saber. He shook his head and looked up at her. She casually kicked his fallen lightsaber over the side, sending it down into the oblivion below them. The hum of her violet blade sounded in his ears, and the light it cast made her eyes turn a remarkable shade, a color he could not even describe. Blue and purple and green, all set in front of a fire that was not like anything he'd ever known before.

Then, her muscles relaxing and her feet taking a step back, she turned off the saber. He just looked at her, blood dripping from his lip, his teeth aching with the vibration of her punch.

"What are you doing?" he snarled at her. "Finish me!"

She shook her head. "Seth, one day you will thank me."

He jumped up, but she didn't move to defend herself, just in case he had another weapon stashed somewhere. "Finish me, or I will jump!" he raged, getting near the edge of the catwalk. Her eyes smiled at him, that alien love returning to her gaze. Her mind reached for his, and he felt her compassion, her acceptance...her love.

But there was something else there, as if she were merely a brightly colored window to let the light shine in in all its bright beauty. Another light behind the one in her eyes, Someone reaching for him, Someone he knew, and had always feared. He had spent so much time in denial. So many years in this misery because he was too afraid of everything else, too afraid of being alone, too afraid to search himself.

His eyes softened as he realized that this might be his only chance. He looked down at the chasm again, and then slowly, he reconsidered.

"I don't understand you," was all he could say.

"You understand more than you think," she replied, almost smiling.

He gazed at her, feeling as if he had suddenly lost her. She had defeated him, and was going to leave him. He had lost...all those visions, all those promises that he had been made...all of it was lost.

He sighed. "Very well. Go."

She shook her head. "I need your help, Seth."

The continued use of his name made him flinch. Heavy despair crept upon his soul, and he felt his proud shoulders slumping. "Why would you ask me? I think you've already taken enough from me for this day."

She stepped closer to him, and said in a pleading tone, "Cal's taken my parents and I have to find them." She paused, waiting for him to reply. "Please, Seth...please help me."

He was silent for a long minute, and finally he lifted his gaze to Vaiya. "And what do you offer me in return for my help?" he asked, a touch of defiance in his voice. "Surely there is nothing I could ask that would not tarnish your virtue," he muttered sarcastically.

She frowned at him. "Seth...every journey has a first step. I am asking you for this one favor. In return, I am offering you my trust."

"Trust," he mocked. "Why trust me? Have I done anything to earn it?"

"No," she replied. "But I'm giving it to you anyway."

The tone of her voice made him look at her again, and their eyes met for more than just a few seconds. She was offering him her trust, her hand...her friendship. He tried to scoff at it and say, "What good is your trust to me anyway?" but it was weak and she saw right through it.

"You know what it is," she said, her voice suddenly quaking with strong emotions. "Has anyone ever trusted you, in all your years as a leader? Maybe my trust doesn't seem like much, but I can promise you that it is worth more than a hundred favors like the one I'm going to ask."

He considered this. "I don't know about that," he said, pulling his cloak over his head, which had fallen back to expose his horns. "Why don't you let me judge? What do you ask?"

"Get us out of here," she said.

His eyebrows raised. "That's all?" he asked.

She nodded. "And find out where Cal took my parents."

Seth snorted. "All of that for a little trust. I think I'd like something a little more solid."

"All right," she said, her voice firm. "If you won't do it for my trust...do it because it is the right thing to do."

The words stung, and he nearly recoiled. But after a few seconds, he managed to compose himself. When his brothers found out about this...."Very well. Follow me."


Vaiya rushed to Larin's side, and she pushed the damp hair out of his face, gazing into his eyes. Her joy at seeing him out of the maddness that had been induced radiated from her, and Derrin felt himself get a little sentimental and put his arm around Drianna, who was a little chagrined that the fight had stopped before she'd gotten to it. They were both nervous about Darth Seth being in the room with them--not even the fact that he was lightsaber-less changed it.

"Hello, Vaiya," he murmured, smiling up at her. He was struggling against the pain that raged within him. "I think I owe you an apology. As soon as I figure out what I did, I'll give it to you."

She kissed his cheek and burried her face in his neck, a guesture that he melted into. "It's good to see you, too," she said. "We have to get out of here. Can you walk?"

"Alone, no. Maybe with help." He straightened and struggled to get his legs underneath him. His arm swung over Vaiya's shoulder and she lifted him up. Drianna came to Larin's other side, and he used them like crutches.

"Vaiya," Seth said, his voice tight, "you should let your friends take him. Your skills might be needed. Surely my brothers have learned of what has happened by now."

Vaiya nodded, and Derrin came over to take her place. Before she stepped away, Larin tightened his grip around her neck, and pulled her close to him, hugging her as hard as was possible in his current state.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Just something I missed," he whispered, and let her go.

Seth had his head turned. Even as she went to his side, he would not look at her. "This way, Jedi," he said, and guided them out of the throneroom.


Vaiya was silent on the way down. Seth had led them to a small, private elevator, just large enough for them all. She did not stand with either Seth or Larin, but had her back to them, her temple lightly touching the wall.

She could hear whispering.

It wasn't very loud, and it was more like air than an actual sound, but she had heard it before--or rather, she had felt this way when the angel had come to guide her.

Funny...why didn't she see him now? She could feel him as surely as those of flesh and blood in the lift beside her. It felt like he was standing over her shoulder, but other than the whispers, he was silent.

The lift stopped and Seth stepped out, but Vaiya found herself getting ahead of him. She stepped into his path and managed to block a killing blast with the palm of her hand. A blast that had been aimed for his head.

Seth seemed to wake up, and he saw that there were guards nearby, their blasters poised and ready. But then the guards parted, revealing five figures in black cloaks, their red sabers glowing like stinging tails.

The Cult of the Destroyer.

Darth Knar was at their head, his eyes filled with rage. "Betrayer!" he screamed. "You stand with our enemies, Seth! Now you are our enemy!"

Seth remained silent. He wanted to sneer back at them that it made little difference whether he was their enemy now, because they hadn't been his real allies to begin with. But he didn't. Instead, he reached for the white saber that Larin had used, which hung from Drianna's belt, and ignited it.

"No," Vaiya said, her voice unnaturally calm.

"We match them in number," Derrin pointed out.

"Yes," Vaiya conceeded, "but we're vulnerable."

"Then we're dead," Seth whispered gravely.

Vaiya flinched, ever so slightly. These guys had whipped her butt before. Maybe Seth was right, and....

Trust Me, Vaiya, came the inner voice. She gritted her teeth, yeilding her will to the voice.

"No, we aren't." She stepped closer, pulling her blade from her belt. Now she knew why she had been told to make two blades. As if being guided from some outside force, she lifted her saber and extended one blade.

It shone and glimmered, outside of its natural powers. It seemed as if part of the violet light were turning to bright silver and sliding off the blade. It became tangible and curved downward, oozing onto the floor in a silver puddle, and then taking shape.

Taking a very human-like shape.

She ignited the other blade, and it performed the same trick. Only it wasn't a trick--it was real, almost frightfully so. Seth pulled back, fighting his own fear of what he felt coming from that nearly divine blade. Derrin, Larin and Drianna also attempted to put a few more feet of distance between them and Vaiya.

The other puddle rose and took shape. Whatever it was, it had two arms, two legs, a head of fire instead of hair, eyes that smouldered like lava, and a very bright green lighsaber in its hands. Its body was covered by a thick white robe, embroidered with pearls set in gold. Their full glory would have been too much for them to see, but Vaiya could feel their radiant presence all through her. It gave her a confidence like she had never experienced.

She smiled. She had not been deserted.

The guards were the first to run. The sith lords considered their options...then promptly turned and ran. Vaiya watched them go in amusement, but didn't spend long gloating. The two luminous figures turned to her and saluted her with their lightsabers. She saluted them back before they disappeared. Then she turned to her companions, who were gazing at her in awe.

"Well, what else do you need?" Vaiya said. "Let's go!"

Hesitantly at first, but then with great urgency, Derrin and Drianna carted Larin up into the small shuttle. Vaiya began to follow, but as she reached the top of the ramp, she noticed that Seth was not making any effort to follow her. He just stood at the bottom of the ramp, his eyes gazing at her calmly.

They seemed a little less yellow now, and a darker shade of green. She approached him.

"Are you going to stay here?"

He shrugged. "What other choice do I have?"

"You could come with us."

He smiled and shook his head. "I would be of no use to you, Vaiya. I would only get in the way."

She shook her head. "You know that isn't true."

He looked up the ramp, toward where Derrin and Drianna had taken Larin. "You truly love him, don't you?"

Vaiya nodded. "He needs me."

"But do you need him?"

"I---" She considered her answer, then reconsidered any answer by saying nothing at all. She just looked at him, her confusion in her eyes.

Such beautiful eyes.....

"I can leave by another ship," Seth said in a low voice.

"Then hurry," Vaiya urged him, taking a step toward him and putting her hand on his shoulder. The guesture was warm, and he relished the feel of her touch, even through his thick black cape. Her concern was almost a caress. "Before they catch you alone."

He nodded, and she turned to head up the ramp, but as her hand slid away from him, he reached up and caught it in his own. She turned, a question on her face. He pulled her closer.

"I know that I wasn't going to ask you anything in return for my helping you," he said, feeling irritatingly awkward as he took in her face one last time. "But I would...hope...that you would not deny me one small grace."

Her eyes widened slightly, their gem-like depths reflecting the markings on his face, which suddenly seemed so thin and transparent. "What would that be?" she whispered.

He could not bring himself to say it. But still he held her close, willing her to know what it was that he wanted.

As she gazed back at him, slowly the mask lifted. She could see him, the man that he was underneath it, as surely as if the mask were not there. Then, knowing his thought, she reached up with her other hand and caressed his face, her palm against his cheek, her fingers grazing the base of his horns, ignoring everything but the human face that stared back at her.

Slowly, she kissed him. It was a strange kiss, tinted with a deep underlying passion, but not like the many they had exchanged earlier. It was a clean kiss, an innocent kiss...a kiss of friendship, love, respect.

A kiss from their souls.

As his lips parted from hers, he felt her breath graze his teeth. He felt the terrible sting of tears in his eyes and banished them. She was gazing at him with such warmth, her smile making her entire face take on a soft glow.

"Farewell, my friend," she said, stepping away. "If you ever need me, you will know where I am."

He nodded. The urge to cry out to her, beg her to stay, Don't leave me alone....! All those dreams, all those nightmares were coming true before his eyes. He had known her before she was even born in his world of visions, and now that she was in the flesh, now that she had finally found him, he had only their few days for memories. All of his waiting had only come to a few hours where she was his. It seemed almost worth it, as her kiss still tingled on his lips. Then she was gone, up in the ship, and he had to back away as it lifted from the bay floor and hovered to the nearby exit.

He glanced at the door that his brothers had disappeared through. He considered how quickly he had to move, and then slowly made his way toward a ship. His brothers wouldn't dare return, not right away. Their focus was gone, and they had had the scare of their lifetimes.

Seth smiled. Today wasn't such a bad day after all.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||