MOSAIC: Part 2, Chapter 8
History

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


So Mara Jade was back. What a wonderful little coincidence, Cal thought as he scanned over his old files. He kept a minimal amount of records strictly for business reasons, and all of them were carefully encrypted to keep unwanted eyes from seeing them. She was back, and she was searching for the child of a dead friend. That was even more precious. And the fact that he was possibly one of her last leads---too perfect! He could sense her frustration. He'd gotten better at that over the years, and the price he had paid was starting to be worth it.

All he had to do now was make it worth her while to stick around a little bit. Surely this thing with Skywalker had to be nonsense. The woman he had known all those years ago would never have even thought of Skywalker in that way. After the nightmares and the visions, surely this couldn't be real. Maybe she was with him, even married to him, even given the Jedi-wannabe a child--for Mara Jade, that was nothing. With her, loyalty had been everything. Loyalty to Palpatine, loyalty to her cause.

Of course, Cal had never kidded himself that she was every loyal to him. Mara made herself clear about what she thought of him. He was fun--no more, no less. He knew he would have to prove his worth to her if he wanted her loyalty. Then she'd gone and left him before he could get the chance. He really couldn't be too angry at her for that. That was just how she was. Restless, forever searching to fulfil her last command.

Perhaps...perhaps this was all a scam. Perhaps her revenge on Skywalker was worse than a simple death. By murdering the Emperor, he had murdered Mara's life. Cal remembered how she had softened to him, telling him these things about herself. He knew he'd taken advantage of a lonliness inside of her, but it had been worth it--to him. She'd shared her pain, her sorrow, and her plans for revenge. Now, as Skywalker had taken everything from her, perhaps she was now preparing to take everything from him, just when he least expected it.

How beautifully wicked, Cal thought with a grin. And so like her. She was a prize, all right. How could he have just let her go? Now it was just a matter of getting her to trust him. Surely she had to keep her cover story intact, even make an old lover like him believe it. Skywalker couldn't know, couldn't come anywhere near the truth. But out here, on the rim, so far away from all of that...it was just a matter of time before she started to remember, and he started to win her over. All he had to do was keep smiling and wait.

He chuckled to himself as he strode down the hall back to his quarters. He would send her a line, inviting her to join him for a meal. Perhaps that would help relax her a bit. And maybe he could find out why she was really here before she arrived. It might give him some useful leverage. He knew what persuaded Mara Jade the most. He would be sure to find it.


Back on Yavin IV, Han Solo was busy tossing his niece, Vaiya, high into the air and catching her. Vaiya was loving every second of it, although Luke was nervous enough in his observational post to stick close by in case Han should slip in his grip. Vaiya, however, knew what her father was up to, and Luke could feel her protesting him in her little-girl way.

*No, Daddy, no Force! Fly free! Uncle Han can make me fly free!* And she let out a delighted squeal as she floated a bit higher.

Finally, she alighted on the ground like a graceful bird. Her long, sharp green tunic was twisted every which way, and Luke took a step forward to fix it.

"I don't remember seeing you toss your own kids around like that, Han," Luke said in his chastising Jedi-voice.

Han shrugged. "I know I did, but they were always surrounded by the Force so I never felt like I really tossed them. No danger, no fun, right?"

"I'm sure Leia just agrees with you a hundred percent," Luke drolled sarcastically.

"She hovered around me just like you did with Vaiya. But the kids were always so heavy with the Force they never needed her. I guess Force sensitives don't like being without it. Vai seemed to thrive without it."

Vaiya giggled. "Daddy's head too full."

"That's what I've been telling him!" Han said, taking Vaiya's hand. "He won't listen to me...maybe he'll listen to you."

"All right, you two, that's enough." Luke ruffled Vaiya's soft hair. "Go on inside and get something to eat."

"You guys keep any Dewback around here?" Han asked.

"Dooback?" Vaiya chirped.

Luke smirked. "What kind of desert farmboy do you think I am?"

"Now you're starting to sound like Mara."

"As much as you sound like Leia."

"Oh, eat my lightsaber, Jedi," Han snorted.

Luke laughed. "Now you're starting to sound like Mara."

"If only I were as smart. She was apparently smart enough to take a vacation from you."

They headed into the kitchen, Vaiya dragging Han behind her, and Luke bringing up the rear.

"The more you insult me, Han, the more I know you love me."

Han just grunted and shoved a piece of cold dewback in his mouth.

"Pumperbread, pumperbread!" Vaiya said, jumping up a down. Han frowned at Luke, but the Jedi/dad just walked over to a air-tight box and opened it up to pull out two thick loaves of dark brown bread. Vaiya snatched them up and flattened them out on the counter.

"She does really well for a three-year-old," Han murmured as he munched another piece of dewback and watched Vaiya put some meat on the bread. When she had arranged the pieces how she wanted them, she looked up and her father expectantly. Luke stepped forward and spread a thick layer of some sticky substance on one piece that smelled like peanut butter, but was a little too moist to be peanut butter. "Come to think of it," Han added, "you do well for a forty-four year old. Most new dads freak out when their kids eat freaky combinations like that."

"She eats like a Hutt," Luke said dryly as he folded the two pieces of bread together and cut them into quarters for Vaiya to eat more neatly. "You get used to it. Nothing comes as a surprised. Last month, she was eating Mon Calamari seastew and chomping those sugarbars in the same mouthful. Mara had a hard time with that one." He let out a little sigh. "I hope she gets back soon."

Han looked sympathetic. "I know how you feel, Kid. But trust me, Mara is loyal to the core. She won't do anything to make you sorry."

"I know that," Luke said, the tired tone was still there. "It's that Cal I don't trust. From what Mara's told me...he's been dabbling in the dark side. I would just hate to have her find out the hard way he's picked up some manipulative powers."

Han clucked his tongue. "Come on, Luke, not every corrupt Jedi is Palpatine! You still haven't learned to let go yet, have you? To just not worry and trust? If anyone in the world can resist temptation, it's Mara. She wanted to kill you, didn't she? Not only did she not kill you, but she married you!"

"Yeah, but not until after I spent ten years....never mind, forget it." Vaiya was almost done with her third piece, and she was watching her father with big, thoughtful eyes. Luke wanted to blush when he realized that she might, on some basic, emotional level, know what he was talking about.

"Gen gonna call," was all she said.

Luke frowned, and a full minute later, the comlink buzzed. Luke opened the line.

"It's Ghent," the blue-haired man said, his voice traced with a heavy line of dread. Luke felt his throat close a little.

"It's Luke," he answered. "You don't sound too happy, Ghent. What is it?"

"Get to a holovid. There's something I have to tell you."

Luke nodded and started out of the room, toward the bedroom. But not before giving his daughter a quick meaningful glance.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||