MOSAIC: Part 2, Chapter 7
Suspicions

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Mara sat in the pilot's seat of the Jaded Sky. Cal's ship (which she had misheard before, it was actually called the Caliber) had docked her in their cargo hold, and she'd agreed to stay against her better judgement. The more space she could put before her and Cal, the better.

She remembered being with Luke, near the end of her pregnancy, and thoroughly freaking out on him when he'd done to her what Cal's old trick had always been--biting her right on the back of her neck while holding her down. It was like a trademark, a thing he got off on and always made sure his victim got off on, too. The more she thought about it, the harder she shuddered.

Cal hadn't changed. Perhaps there was a small amount of comfort she could take in that. After all, the devil you knew was better than the one you didn't. What was it he had said? "Such bad experiences make memories more vivid...don't they?" Bad experiences...sure, she could say that now, now that she was on the side of the light. Now that she was with Luke, who was sometimes the only thing that held back the dark forces that she had served for so long without knowing. She had told Luke once that she didn't think she'd ever served the dark side, only Palpatine. He was a man, while the dark side was the Force. But Palpatine's entire life and purpose had been for power from the dark side. Perhaps she had served the dark side after all. But that didn't explain why it hadn't dominated her destiny the way it had threatened to do to Luke's.

Or maybe it had...and she'd just never seen it before. One rarely noticed a smell once they'd been immersed in it for so long. Seeing Cal after how much she had changed and grown...she'd been wrong when she'd said that to Luke. Very wrong. But she had been saved from it, just as Luke had.

*Saved by what?*

Mara frowned. There was that feeling again. That feeling just under her stomach, the feeling that had haunted her while she carried Vaiya in her womb. She shut her eyes, determined not to let it have any power over her. It hadn't been this strong since she'd given birth, but maybe if she meditated on it right away there might be an answer.

A vision flas hed before her. She wasn't sure if it were terrible or beautiful. They were on Endor, and it was the night that the Rebellion celebrated the death of the Emperor. She hadn't been there in real life, but in this vision she was with Luke. He looked so young, so victorious as he strode toward her. He had gained his victory over the dark side, and was now a Jedi Knight. He held out his arms to embrace her, and then he changed. His hair, sandy and fair, turned long and golden, flowing over his shoulders like honey. His crystal blue eyes turned to the blue-green hue of her lightsaber, and his face changed shape.

It was Vaiya. But she was not smiling in radiant victory. Luke had been a boy in many ways, exhuberant to return to his family. He had always been solemn, and would be solemn again, but there was still a restlessness to him that gave him an extra spark.

Vaiya did not have this spark. There was a sense of enormous loss about her. She grasped her mother's hands and looked into her eyes, and Mara saw herself and her own fear. A future gaped before them, and she felt the Presence she hadn't felt since she had nearly died, and given Vaiya her entire self as a memory. It was beyond light, beyond the Force, beyond time and the universe. And it radiated behind Vaiya's solemn eyes that had a peace beyond anything even Luke Skywalker, hero and master of the Force that he was, had ever known. The loss, even though it left lingering pain, meant nothing. Hope was stronger. Mara could feel it in Vaiya's grip. And as they stared at each other, Vaiya spoke, although there was no voice coming from her lips.

"Your courage will sustain you, Mother, but trust will be your salvation."

Mara's eyes snapped open to see Luke staring at her from the holovid.

"Mara!" he shouted. "Wake up!"

She ran a hand over her eyes and found herself sweating profusely. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Well, you did!" He looked nearly angry with concern. "I tried to reach you through the Force, but something was blocking me. Luckily Ghent called about Jabba's Fist and I asked him if he could splice be a better line to contact you. Seems the space you're in is only open by old Imperial lines."

She scooted closer to the console. "I had...another vision."

His face softened. "About what?"

"The past, the future...I wonder if there is a difference anymore." She paused. "How is Vaiya?"

"She misses you."

"I miss her. Kiss her for me."

"If I can find her. Han came by to visit the twins, drop them off some things from Leia. Vaiya has grafted herself to his leg."

The vision those words conjured up made Mara smile. "And how does Han like that?"

"He's absolutely enchanted. You know he didn't get to spend too much time with Jania when she was little, so he's thrilled about Vaiya's attentions." Luke gave a little snort. "She keeps wanting to call him Daddy Two."

That made her smile wider. "Give him a break, Luke. He's married to the Chief-of-State. His kids spent their earliest years on another planet, being protected. You and I, however, are free to protect ourselves." She paused, wondering how to tell him, but she didn't have to.

"What is it?" he asked, frowning at her.

She shook her head. *Talk to me like this. We can't risk anyone hearing.*

*Who did you meet?*

*An old boyfriend. That one I told you about, Cal?*

Instantly, Luke darkened. Mara couldn't help but enjoy the jealousy a little bit. "What?" she asked innocently.

"That isn't funny," Luke said softly.

"I know," she sighed. "But he was involved with the Fist. He might be able to help us."

"How long are you going to stay here?"

"Until tomorrow night. Then I'm out of here. If Cal doesn't have anything by then, he won't have it at all."

"Maybe he'll stall...try and keep you there."

She shook her head. "Don't you trust me, Skywalker?" she said teasingly.

"I trust you. I don't trust him."

"You haven't even met him!"

"Mara," he gave a nearly whithering look, "I trust you, and I can feel your emotions. You don't trust him, I don't trust him."

She sighed. "Tomorrow night, I promise. I have a feeling, though, that it won't even take that long." She yawned. "Luke, I hate to do this, but I'm exhausted."

He nodded. "I understand. Use a trance. It may keep you from having any more visions."

"I will. And Luke?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too. Goodnight." And he was gone.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||