MOSAIC: Part 2, Chapter 13
Run

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


This time when Mara embraced her daughter, Vaiya was the one gaping at the small abrasions and cuts that Mara's brief encounter in the hallway had caused along her arms. She hugged her mother more tightly, and even tried to cling to her leg, causing Mara a fresh flood of guilt. What had she thought she was doing, anyway? Running off like that right in front of her daughter. Both she and Luke were very lucky that they hadn't traumatized her by their actions. They should have just sat and waited for security to show up and clean up the mess.

She snorted. *On a cold day on Tatooine,* she thought.

Mara picked up the little girl and cradled her in her arms. Vaiya wasn't very big for her age. She fit into the cook of Mara's arm rather easily, while her other arm supported Vaiya's legs. It was times like this that truly tested her muscles, though. The constant weight could get pretty tiresome. Although Jedi were pretty good at keeping themselves in the best of shape.

"I missed you, Mommy," Vaiya said, yawning. All the excitement had finally taken its toll.

"I missed you too, Vai. But I'm home now. And the next time we leave, we'll all go together."

"When we go?"

"Soon."

"To the sky?"

"Beyond the sky. We'll fly in our pretty ship through the stars."

"Uncle Han talk about pretty stars. He says they make shapes."

"They do. Some stars make big shapes across the sky, and some of them are made of swirling gas filled with every color in the rainbow."

Vaiya's eyes drooped. "When we go, Mommy?"

"Soon."

"When soon?"

"As soon as you go to sleep, my love, and you can dream about them."

"Don't wanna dream," the little girl protested sleepily. "Wanna go."

"You can do both. Right now."

"Kay." Vaiya let her eyes close, and in a few seconds Mara knew she was asleep.

Several minutes passed. Mara considered putting Vaiya in bed, but it was so peaceful like this. Plus she knew if she tried to move it would wake her daughter up again, and Mara was just too plain exhausted to use the Force. No, she would just sit here for a little while and enjoy the peace.

After those minutes had passed, Vaiya wasn't the only one dreaming about flying through the stars.


"Son of Vader," one of the Nighori guards pleaded in his rough voice, "if you would allow us the honor of protecting you, this sort of thing would not have happened."

Luke shook his head with a smile. "I appreciate the offer, really, but my wife and I have decided it's better this way."

Behind the Nighori guard, Leia rested her chin on her palm. "I can't change your mind about this, can I?"

Even Han looked a bit shaken. "At least come by to visit, Luke. So we know you're still alive."

Luke smiled. "I'll be fine, trust me. I just don't want Vaiya exposed to this sort of thing again. And especially if that Cal Saphringer," he practically spat the words, his smile gone, "is responsible for this like I think he is. He can't know where we are. Ever."

Leia nodded. "I can't give you my blessing on this, Luke, but I do wish you well."

"I know." He hugged her. "Tell the kids I love them, okay?"

"Anakin's going to be crushed," Han muttered.

Luke slapped him on the arm. "I'll see him when I come to visit. You're just mad because I'm taking Vaiya away."

Han tried to fight off a smile. "I just don't want to see her turn into a lunatic Jedi like her father."

"No, you'd rather see her turn into a cunning smuggler like her mother, right?" Leia teased.

"Speaking of Mara, I'm going to go find her. We'll say goodbye before we leave, don't worry." Luke turned and left Leia and Han's apartment, heading right down for his own. There was a Nighori standing guard, and Luke relieved him---respectfully. Maybe he should rethink his refusal of Nighori aid, he thought as his eyes passed over those needle-like teeth. Creatures like that never had to do anything to intimidate enemies. They just *were.*

He stepped into the apartment and felt Mara's warm presence. Very warm, actually. A few steps into the next room showed him why. She was asleep, with Vaiya nestled in her arms. Her head was resting back and tilted a little to the side, exposing her neck, well muscled and yet slender and graceful. Her red hair gathered on top of Vaiya's own strawberry curls, and their chest rose and fell in the same rhythmic pattern.

He really didn't want to break this up, as precious as it was. Maybe there was a way he could absorb this picture into his head with the Force. Make it a momento for the rest of his life, a holograph that would never fade. The pure peace of it was like a thick, sweet wine--it lulled him into a quiet, calm place where he could almost see the Force around them.

Stepping forward, he lightly grasped Vaiya with the Force, careful not to move her as long as Mara had her arms adjusted to hold the weight. He bent over and gently kissed Mara's neck, and Mara's eyes fluttered open and her head turned to gaze at him. She stirred, and Luke slipped Vaiya from her grip and lifted her with the Force into his own arms. While Mara came back to the conscious world, Luke put Vaiya in her bed.

*You know,* Mara sent, *most parents have to take their chances and move their kids with normal force. You're cheating to do it that way.*

Luke tossed her a crooked grin. *If you like, we can go back and do it again.*

Mara stretched like a cat and stood up to walk over to him. *Nah, you've already taken care of it.* She gave a little shrug, and then looked down at Vaiya. *Poor kid. She's been through so much.*

*Very little, actually, compared to what you and I faced when we were young.*

Mara sighed. *That's part of what worries me, Skywalker. I mean, she's got both you and me for parents. Her genetics are all screwed up.*

Luke eyed Mara up and down. *Where she got her genetics from looks fine to me,* he sent.

*You've got anger, I've got anger, Vader had some really big anger...Force forbid Palpatine scared me enough to have it hurt Vaiya too.* Mara touched her daughter protectively. *Sometimes, I want to have a normal life so much it hurts. But this is the best thing, I know.*

Luke slid his arms around Mara's torso and pulled her close. *If we had had normal lives,* he sent, *you and I would never have met, and she would never have been born.*

*You know what I mean.* She rested her head against his chest. *I'm just..so tired.*

*But what about the old saying that life begins at 40?*

*They lied.*

*Did they?* There was a seductive note in his mind, and Mara looked up to see his eyes gazing down at her, hazy with desire. *You've been away too long, Mara.*

She wanted to laugh, but didn't dare. All Luke got was the mirth in her mind. *I guess you'll keep me young, Skywalker. You'll never grow up, will you?*

*Never.* And he pulled her down to the floor.

*HERE? But what if we wake Vaiya?*

Luke pressed himself on top of her, his lips nuzzling her ear. *Then we'll just have to make sure we stay really quiet. Like this.* And his covered her mouth with his kiss.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||