MOSAIC: Part 1, Chapter 12
Light

by:  Nyc
Feedback to:  Ahdriann@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc, 20th Century Fox, Timothy Zahn, Barbara Hambly, YKW and the other writers of the expanded Star Wars Universe.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Luke didn't remember much after he started lifting stones. It was twisted and broken in his memory. Mara lying in a pool of blood, Callista nearby. Mara in the back of the shuttle as Luke drove at an impossible speed to the nearest medcenter, which thankfully was half the distance to the resort--only in the opposite direction. Telling Han and Leia what had happened. Mara's face, as white as the sheets she lay on, as the doctors told him she had lost so much blood. Luke searching for her mind to realize she was too far away, then reaching into her body to help it heal while she was gone.

Hearing the cry of his daughter had woken him. What had Callista called her? Vaiya? Was that a name? Surely Mara would never agree to a name Callista had picked.

The doctors asked him what the name was, and Luke firmly said, "I'll discuss it with my wife when she awakes."

"But Master Skywalker," the doctor protested gently, "your wife is in a very serious state---"

The look Luke gave him shut him up instantly. "How do we help her?" Luke said.

The doctor sighed. "We've given her blood, but it will take a while for her body to recover. I cannot lie to you, Jedi Master, but the longer she is unconscious, the worse her chances get. If you can reach her through the Force, please do so. Only her will will keep her alive."

Luke carefully pushed the hair out of Mara's face. If there was one thing Mara Jade Skywalker had, it was will. So what was wrong?

He kissed her. "Don't leave me, Mara," he whispered. He had lost so much in his life. Even his own family. They had all died or left him for their own families, even Han and Leia, those closest to him in the world. All his loves had either died, left him, or both. In fact, with Callista dead, that only left Mara.

And there was only Mara. From that, he knew he would never recover. It didn't matter where or when anyone else had come and gone. Mara was different. If she died, the baby would bear her name.

Luke had to let that thought go. He couldn't bear to think of raising his daughter without Mara--if he was even able. If Mara died, he might just die with her.


"See how ridiculous you're being?" Callista stormed back and forth. Okay, so she had a body here, her old body, the one with the right features, but the same malt-brown hair and grey eyes. "God have mercy, Mara, but you are pathetic!"

"Trying to goad me, eh, Callie?" Mara challenged, liking the feel of it. Yes, it was about time she got down and dirty with this woman who would have liked nothing better than to steal Luke away. She'd show her exactly what Palpatine had taught to his Hands.

*Mara!* It was Luke. It was the sweetest mind she had ever touched, and it stopped her cold. But it was only a flicker, and it faded quickly. Mara realized what was happening...the dark side was having its last hurrah with her soul, trying to drag her down into the madness at the last minute by making her despair over Luke.

And why should she despair over Luke?

"EXACTLY what I was trying to say!" Callista shouted. "Come on, Mara! Where's that spirit I've heard so much about!"

Mara smiled, but froze again. Okay, she wanted to live now...but how did that put her in any better situation than she had been in fifteen seconds ago?

No sooner had the thought come forth when Callista began to glow brightly. "That's more like it, Mara," she said, before disappearing in a brilliance of light and color. "We'll meet again, my friend...but not for a long, long time." Then the light was overwhelming...and it became Something Else.

Mara reached for the It, reached for Callista within It, a thought coming to her mind of panic, but the cry of "Don't leave me yet!" dying in her throat. There was no chance to say it. In one of the briefest spans of time, Mara became Aware. It was not just knowledge and power and wisdom in that light that was folding back toward her, spreading over her outstretched fingers. It was the very Fabric of Existence, the Essence of the Force, its Master and Guide.

Mara was entranced. This was beyond anything she ever knew, anything she could even fathom. She was staring into the Face of eternity itself, where Callista had gone, but not before saying that the Force was only the beginning.

Then It pushed. Color exploded around her, and before Mara could more than revel in the beauty of the moment, it was over.

She was back.

She opened her eyes, feeling strange. She was lying on something that was mildly comfortable, but that didn't explain the warmth coming from beside her. Turning her head just a little, she reached out with the Force. The presense was so familiar....

Luke lay beside her, his eyes closed in sleep. But he was troubled. He'd been there for several hours, but the dark circles and deep lines in his youthful face spoke of more time spent at her bedside, worrying.

She hesitated to move, remembering how strongly her body had objected to being immobile for so long all that time ago on....what was the name of that planet again? She could only remember it as the place where she and Luke had discovered that they were in love.

A slight turn of her neck revealed that she was remarkably better off than was reasonable. Obviously some Jedi Master had been working his healing magic on her again. She vaguely remembered the lingering presence of pain and sorrow concerning him, as if for some reason she had doubted him. She made a note to never be so foolish again.

There had been something else, though...something beautiful and warm, something so full of love she could have stayed there forever. But she hadn't. Why hadn't she? It was hard to remember. Her dreams were all getting faint. Could that have been Luke....? No, it was different. It was beyond even Luke.

She smiled. Now she remembered why she had left. Aside from the obvious in the form of the man beside her. Her stomach was much flatter than before...apparently, their much expected guest had arrived.

"Luke," she whispered. His eyes snapped open, their crystal blue quickly losing the foggy film of sleep. He raised his head, the pure joy taking years off his lined face.

"Mara," he whispered. "You scared me."

"Sorry. For what it's worth, I scared me, too."

"How do you feel?"

"Like a wampa's unfaithful girlfriend." She grinned...or rather, she tried to. "How 'bout you?"

"Like a new father."

Her emerald eyes glittered. "Take me to her."

He frowned. "Mara, you need to rest---"

"I've been resting. I want to see her. Please, Luke!" she begged.

"Mara, you know that she came early. The doctors have her under observation. They can't bring her here."

"Then take me to her."

"How? You shouldn't move at all."

"I don't care...carry me if you have to!"

He sat up and sighed. "Okay, but only because you're her mother." He gently lifted her into his arms and she put her own arms around his neck, even though she lacked the strength to support herself.

The doctors and nurses stopped them at the door. "Where are you going?" the head doctor practically shrieked.

"To see the baby," Luke said calmly.

"It was unwise to move Mrs. Skywalker so quickly after she regained consciousness---"

"Listen, boys," Mara said, a hint of her old fire in her voice, "there are two ways to do this. You can either get out of our way, or we can get you out of our way. Trust me, I may have been on my back for the last---how long has it been, Luke?"

"About two and a half days."

"But I've got enough in me to make you all feel pretty unpleasant if you don't let me see my child." Mara gave them a good glare. "Anyone care to see if I'm bluffing?"


For all the machinery around her, the newest Skywalker looked healthy and happy. Even though Mara couldn't touch her with her hand, she reached out with the Force and felt the peace in her daughter's mind.

*Mommy's here,* Mara sent.

The recognition flared back, and Luke started in surprise.

"She knows you already," he said.

"Of course she does. Vaiya is a smart little girl."

"Vaiya...." Luke muttered. "That's what Callista called her."

"Because that's her name."

"Is that what you chose? Don't I get a say?"

Mara looked at him. "Okay, Daddy, what do you have to say?"

"I think....Vaiya is a beautiful name. Vaiya Jade Skywalker. It's perfect."

Mara smiled. "I thought you'd gotten wise in your old age."

Luke turned his eyes toward her. "Who are you calling old?" But he was so happy it was radiating from him.

They watched Vaiya for several minutes. Finally, Mara said, "You know about Callista."

"Yes. I arranged for her to be taken back to Chad and buried. She always loved her homeworld." He paused, and she could tell he was thinking about something troubling.

"What?" she asked softly.

"I kept her lightsaber."

Mara shifted slightly in his arms. "Any particular reason?"

"I felt...our son should have it. When we find him."

Of course. She nodded. "I think that's a wonderful idea."

He looked at her again, and she could have lost herself in that look. "I love you, Mother Skywalker."

She could only look back at him, speechless with her emotions. He felt them and pulled her in closer to kiss her.

"I should warn you," she said, "I have terrible morning breath."

He grinned that grin that had always made her insides melt. "Ask me if I care."

He didn't.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||