A MISTAKEN LOVE: Part 5A

by:  Jenn
Feedback to:  ipomea@email.msn.com

Author's Notes:  I will tell you that the heated stuff is coming, but these two characters are stubborn and want the relationship to age like fine wine...



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


“The wall is invisible and negatively charged against humanoid body tissue and electrical impulses, son. It’ll let you in, but there is no way it will let you out.”

Obi-Wan squinted at the man talking to him. The speaker was an elderly fellow sporting a head of shocked white hair and the palest eyes that the young Jedi had ever seen. The Padawan had come across the old man sitting up against the wall and had engaged him in conversation. So far, the man had been the only one to talk with any of the Jedi.

“My name is Treback, by the way, young one. And there is no need to look at me like that. We are not responsible for the situation that you find yourself in.”

Obi-Wan grimaced and nodded, but before he could answer he felt his Master’s hand land heavily on his shoulder. The Jedi Master knew enough about his apprentice to know that a gibed comment was forthcoming and was trying to avoid issues. This man was friendly and was giving them information and it was not a good idea to look for trouble. “Thank you for the information, old friend,” he stated.

The old man’s nod was absent-minded at best. “You are offworlders.”

“Yes,” Mace answered, glancing at Qui-Gon as he moved forward to stand in the little group. “Our transport intercepted a distress call.”

“That would be Olrtria and her fool technology. Probably the first time anything of hers worked.” The old man’s face broke in a small smile. “I’m glad it worked, but I don’t know what good it will do us now.”

“What is the situation here, friend?” Qui-Gon asked, keeping his voice low. Larina shivered slightly at the rumbling that his voice induced in his chest. It is bad enough, she thought, that I have to hear his rich voice, but now I can feel it. The Jedi Master’s arm tightened around her waist and brought her fully into contact with his chest.

“Are you well, Larina?” he whispered, lowering his head until his mouth was next to her ear. She nodded. She could do nothing else. Qui-Gon would not understand her comment that she could feel his voice all the way to her toes.

Treback looked to Larina but answered Qui-Gon. “The news of our war has not made it far offworld - I can tell.”

“I am afraid not,” Qui-Gon answered a slight apologetic smile on his face. His blue eyes met Mace’s and held for a few minutes.

“Ah well, that is to be expected—what with the Senate never sending anyone here and that Council of Jedi avoiding us like the plague…” Treback’s smile warms a little of the area around him with its sincerity. “Our world has been plagued with a war these last three years. It was only two months ago that our side was overrun with the Yartidans…”

“Scum,” a young girl stated, coming to stand behind Obi-Wan as he crouched on the ground.

“Yes, well,” Treback cleared his throat, “scum they are, dear. They used mercenaries, sir. Who they didn’t kill, they placed in holding areas such as this one. One by one our villages are falling. And the ones that are held in places like this dank cave are in for fates worse than those that died, I can assure you.”

The young girl pressed through the small crowd of Jedi to lay a hand on the Treback’s arm. “I know your son will make it, Treback. He is strong.”

Treback turned his eyes to the girl and laid a hand on her cheek. “And return to you too, eh Uglara?”

“Yes, my father, and return to me too.”

Larina turned away from the two persons ahead of her. The depth of their uncertainty and their sadness was overwhelming. Their love for each other tempered it, but it still remained strong. She rested her hand on Qui-Gon’s arm around her waist and turned her head to survey the rest of the people around her. She could feel the fear, the hatred rolling around in the cave. It was stronger in some corners, ebbed in others, but it was present everywhere. She ran her eyes over the people. After several seconds, she frowned and pulled on Qui-Gon’s arm. With a sigh, he lowered his head to the side. “Yes, Larina?”

“The demographics here, Master, they’re all wrong. Have you noticed that there are no young men…none…even children are not here.” Larina gripped his arm. “That explains the pain that I feel.”

Qui-Gon turned his head to look at all the people collected. Old and young women sat grouped, talking quietly or resting. Very small children ran around their guardians, still holding on to their idea of freedom. But it was as Larina had said - there was a distinct absence of men and boys. Mace moved along side of him and laid his hand on Qui-Gon’s shoulder.

“I noticed that too, Qui-Gon.”

Uglara moved away from Treback and approached the Larina and Qui-Gon. “You will need a place to sleep tonight. I can show you where you can make your beds…it is rather crowded at night here.”

“Uglara,” Mace grabbed at her arm, “why are there no men here?”

“They were taken, used. We don’t know whether they live or…. We only know that they have been used for the genetic program that the Yartidans have. It is just a matter of time until they call for the women.” Uglara sighed and nodded. “In fact, it could occur at any time. We have waited long enough.”

Mace sighed, his bulk shifting beneath his cloak. Qui-Gon’s mouth formed a thin line. Larina could feel the displeasure rolling off both Jedi in waves. The lowliest Padawan knew of the Genetic Act formed hundreds of years previous. It forbade genetic experimentation unless outlined by specific scientific outlines. Genetic testing was never to occur on any party involved in a war.

Uglara was oblivious to both men. She began to walk across the dirt to a small overhang area. “It is why the women here both dread and welcome the return of out men…it means that it is our turn.”

Larina sighed, finally able to place the feelings of unease and pain with a proper reason. Qui-Gon’s arm supported and warmed her as they made their way through the groups of prisoners spread throughout the small area of the cave. As they moved, her eyes alighted on several individuals. Dirt was everywhere, caked on the faces, soiling the clothes and creating dust clouds in the air. She could feel the goodness in their hearts, but shivered at the fear in their souls. Of those in the cave that were not fearful were in shock.

The young healer opened up her heart more, allowing their desperation to float over her. She wanted to help them, to let them know that she felt what they did. To let them know that someone understood.

She slowed as they were led to a small overhang area that was devoid of residency. Obi-Wan stepped next to Larina, holding her arm for a moment before speaking. “There is barely enough room for three- let alone five of us.”

“This is a prisoner camp, Padawan.” Qui-Gon stated lowly, grasping his apprentice’s arm lightly. “Space is limited. We will make do with what we have.”

“Yes, Master.” Obi-Wan grimaced as he fell to the ground in an undignified heap.

Mace grimaced as he sank to the ground next to Obi-Wan, clapping the young man on his shoulder. Obi-Wan lifted his head to squint at his teacher. “Master, it is only a matter of time before they find out that we are not of this group.”

“Very true, Obi-Wan,” Qui-Gon agreed, easing himself to the ground. Larina alighted to the ground gently and leaned against his side. The heavy arm around her waist left her no alternative than to do this. “We must plan, Padawan. We need an escape for ourselves and those we are with, as well as a plan to get any information that we gather to the Council and the Senate.”

“And to stop the testing, right, Master?” Obi-Wan grasped at his knees and lowered his head to rest there.

“That would be interference, Padawan Kenobi.” Mace’s voice rumbled in the small space. Ha’run, as she returned to the group from surveying the prisoners’ health, eyed her fellow Master with trepidation before sitting next to him. “You can not make a judgment call on who is right or wrong here…”

“But genetic testing is outlawed, Master Mace. How can interrupting testing be considered a judgment call?”

“If it is occurring, then yes, we must do something. But our actions must be sanctioned by the Council and/or the Senate before we can act…” Mace grimaced as he face Obi-Wan.

“Yes, yes, Mace...bureaucracy must be preserved.” Qui-Gon smiled at Mace’s indignant look as he goaded his friend. “I do agree with you, Mace. We must get the facts, but quickly. If it is true that the testing is occurring, we have a reason to stop it.”

Obi-Wan lifted his head to gaze at his Master. “I might be able to convince the Yartidans that I was left behind and have them take…”

Larina met her Master’s eye and sighed. It was her quiet voice that interrupted Obi-Wan. “They have already taken the men, Obi-Wan. It is the women that have yet to go.”


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||