MINE FOR THE ASKING: Part 3

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan swallowed. Kat'ri was really stunning in her wine colored evening gown. She sat demurely on the settee. He stood uncomfortably beside her. Part of his discomfort came from the fact that he was wearing clothes he found far too flashy. The other part stemmed from Kat'ri's changed appearance. He had never seen her in anything other than the nondescript robes all Jedi wore.

Qui-Gon stood at the door, speaking in low tones to the most recent arrival. It was his friend, Cal'breth. She was a Jedi Healer. Qui-Gon had not told Obi-Wan anything about her, other than the fact that she was an old friend. The Jedi Padawan wondered idly just how good a friend she had been. What secrets of his past was the Master keeping from the Apprentice?

Had Qui-Gon known the thoughts coursing through Obi-Wan's head at that particular moment, he probably would have boxed his ears and set him to doing the purification mantras.

"Well, Padawan, are you and Kat'ri ready to depart?" Qui-Gon asked.

Obi-Wan found himself well and truly tongue tied. He nodded dumbly.

The Jedi Master chuckled knowingly. He offered Cal'breth his arm, leading the way out of their quarters. Obi-Wan, after a moment's hesitation, followed his Master's example. Kat'ri took a gentle hold on his elbow and they walked out of the room.


The cloud-car ride was a short one and before long, the Jedi disembarked at the Senate ball. The music was playing a fast-paced, popular song that Obi-Wan knew well. He looked at Kat'ri and she at him.

"Um, Kat…would you like to dance?"

"I'd be honored," she said, with a wink.

Qui-Gon nodded his approval and the two young people moved away. The Jedi Master turned to his companion.

"Just like old times, eh Cal?"

"You old battle-ax. You did this just to torture your Padawan, didn't you?" She grinned at her oldest friend.

"Not entirely, no. Although it is amusing."

"You're a sadist."

He bowed to her mockingly. "Thank you, milady."

Cal'breth rolled her eyes. "You pretend to hate these parties, but I know you rather better than you think Master Jinn."

"You do indeed, old friend. You do indeed." He paused, breathing in deeply. "However, the music is a trifle loud."

"Ah, the first sign of old age rears its ugly head."

He chuckled. "Touché."

"Next thing you know, you'll be complaining about your bones and how no one respects their elders today." She winked at him.

"And then I'll shrink by a few meters and turn green and my ears will grow and I'll be Master Yoda."

Cal'breth laughed heartily. "Careful," she warned teasingly. "I'll tell him you said that."

"Ha," he countered. "Go right ahead. See if I care." The two of them continued their banter without regard for the curious glances that were cast their way from a pair of Padawans.

"So, Obi-Wan," Kat'ri began conspiratorially. "Give me the scoop on your Master and this mysterious Healer."

"Honestly, Kat, you probably know more than I do. The first time I met her was this evening when she came to the door."

The two of them had ceased dancing awhile ago, and were now nibbling their way from one end of the buffet table to the other.

"So he's never mentioned her before?"

"Uh-uh," Obi-Wan said, pausing to take a bite out of something that looked vaguely quiche-like. "The first time I heard about her was the day the invitation came in the mail and we were discussing who I was going to bring. I asked him who he was bringing and he said 'I have a friend in the Healers' wing who would enjoy such an evening' and then he told me to hurry up and decide."

Kat'ri looked vaguely displeased. "So I wasn't your first choice," she said, her voice not quite ominous enough for it to register on Obi-Wan's sixteen year old brain.

"No, Bant was, but she's off on a mission right now. And I thought about Pevika too, but she likes to rub it in that she did better than me on the last set of exams."

Kat'ri's eyes were blazing now. "I can't believe you just said that to me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. That was the most heartless, conceited," she broke off, furiously searching for another insult, "boyish thing I've ever heard in my entire life." And with that, she turned, slamming her drink down on the tray of a startled waiter, and stalked off.

Obi-Wan was left staring after her. /What in the name of the Force?/ He wondered bleakly.

Qui-Gon felt the sudden ripple of distress from his Padawan. He turned, just in time to see Kat'ri startle the waiter and stomp off. He turned to Cal'breth. "I'm going to go speak with Obi-Wan and find out what upset Kat'ri. Why don't you follow her and see if you can get her to calm down. I don't want her making a scene, especially before the Senator even arrives."

Cal'breth nodded briskly, setting off after Padawan Kat'ri while Qui-Gon went to talk to his Apprentice.

"Alright, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon began gently, putting his hand on the young man's shoulder. "What just happened?"

"I'm not sure," Obi-Wan replied honestly. "Kat'ri had asked me about Cal'breth and I told her about our conversation the other day when I was wondering who to bring to the party." He broke off, taking a deep breath. Qui-Gon nodded for him to continue.

"So then she asked if I was her first choice and I said no that Bant was, but she wasn't here and Pevika was too, but she did better than me and then…and then she got all mad and snapped at me and left."

"Padawan, I know that I've stressed honesty and integrity in all things, but," Qui-Gon took a deep breath, wondering how to put this succinctly. "Sometimes it's better to lie. Especially when someone's feelings are at stake."

"Oh," Obi-Wan looked at his feet, blushing. "I guess I should go apologize."

"Uh, not just yet, Padawan. Cal has gone to talk with Kat'ri. I think you'd best stay here for a little while. They'll come back when they're ready." He shrugged. "Women are like that sometimes."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||