MINE FOR THE ASKING: Part 1

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan stared at the wall. He rose from his meditation and began pacing the floor. He frowned. He had been sparring with Qui-Gon earlier that day, but his timing and footwork had been off. Qui-Gon had noticed - that had been the most embarrassing part. The Jedi Master had not rebuked him. Instead he merely suggested that Obi-Wan needed to focus his concentration. He'd assigned him extra meditations. Which was why Obi-Wan was sitting in his room. Or rather, pacing the floor, trying to pretend that he was centering himself.

Obi-Wan wrinkled his nose. His stomach churned. He hated to admit it, but he was nervous. About what, exactly, he had no idea. Well, he did know why he was nervous, but the spectrum was so broad, it was hard to pinpoint exactly what was bothering him. The fact remained - Obi-Wan Kenobi had to find a date for a party. And he was scared out of his mind. Okay, so maybe it wasn't a real date, since Qui-Gon would be there too. He wrinkled his nose again. He and his Master had been invited (rather forcefully invited) to a Senate sub-committee ball to celebrate the coming of age of the daughter of some Senate official they had rescued from somewhere - Obi-Wan had forgotten the particulars. He rolled his eyes. Lately they'd spent so much time on purely diplomatic missions he was beginning to get antsy. He had no wish to go to some kid's birthday party. The worst part was that the invitation had specified that each of the Jedi bring a guest. When Qui-Gon had read that part, he'd merely quirked an eyebrow at his Apprentice.

"You'd best be thinking of who you like to invite, Padawan," he had said.

"Who are you going to bring, Master?" Obi-Wan had asked, impudent to the end.

"I have a friend in the Healers' wing who would enjoy such an evening. And you, Padawan? Who are you planning on bringing?" Qui-Gon's question had made Obi-Wan blink.

Bringing someone along meant he had to ask a girl. That was the hard part. Although at sixteen Obi-Wan long since past his first kiss, he had never really asked a girl out on a date. Which, to be honest, was what the evening was. It didn't really matter whether his Master was there or not - it was still a date.

Obi-Wan shook himself out of his reverie with effort and contemplated the list of possible girls he'd made thus far. There was his friend Bant, she would be his first choice, but she was away on a mission with her Master. He crossed her name off irritably. There was Pevika, but she had done better than he had on their last set of exams and had teased him about it afterwards. He crossed her name off too. He could ask Kat'ri, but she was just a friend. Then again, Bant was just a friend too. /Grrrrr/

He hated the process. It was the thought of asking a girl, any girl, which had plagued his morning workout and embarrassed him in front of Qui-Gon.


Qui-Gon sat on the settee reading a data pad. He knew quite well what was bothering his Padawan Learner. He smiled faintly. He'd spoken yesterday with his friend Cal'breth, the Healer, and she had agreed enthusiastically to be his date for the party. Qui-Gon wished he could be as excited. The Jedi Master did not relish attending social functions, preferring to keep to himself. The party was in two days. Just two days. He wondered if he should hurry his Padawan's decision making process along at all. /It wouldn't do any good/ he consoled himself. /It would only make things worse/


Qui-Gon looked across the table in dining hall to where his Padawan was sitting. "Obi-Wan," he began casually. "Have you decided who you will ask to the Senate party?"

Obi-Wan winced. Trying to sound equally casual, he said "I was thinking about asking Kat'ri, Master. Do you think she would be a good choice?"

"I'm sure she will be, Padawan." Qui-Gon frowned. He'd heard the name before, but couldn't place a face. "Tell me, Obi-Wan, which of your friends is Kat'ri?"

"She's the one from Zeladonia, Master."

"Zeladonia?"

"Mm, hmm," Obi-Wan said, around a mouthful of food.

Qui-Gon rolled his eyes heavenward. "Obi-Wan, I certainly hope you will display better table manners at the Senate function."

Obi-Wan swallowed. "Sorry, Master."

"Alright, Obi-Wan, tell me what Kat'ri looks like. I'm trying to place her. Have I met her before?"

"I dunno. She's about yea-high." He held his hand up in the air. "She's got sorta pinkish hair. Maybe purple, I guess."

/Never ask a sixteen-year-old boy to describe anything female - ever/ Qui-Gon made a mental note to himself.

"I would like you to bring her by our quarters, Padawan, so that I may meet her."

Obi-Wan suddenly became defensive. "Are you saying you have to approve her first?"

"I'm sure if she has your approval, than she has mine. But I do want to meet her all the same."


The next morning, Obi-Wan sat in his astro-navigational class. This was one of two classes he shared with Kat'ri throughout the day. If he asked her now, and she said 'no' then he'd have to face her in their second class. But if she said 'yes' then he'd have it over and done with. He ground his teeth in frustration. Sith, but this was hard. He rubbed his hands on his trousers again.

"Um, Kat'ri, can I ask you something?" Obi-Wan had to forcibly stop his hands from shaking.

"Sure, Obi. What's on your mind?"

"Well, uh, there's this thing tomorrow night that Qui-Gon and I have to go to. And, well, feel free to say no and everything, but if you're not doing anything…." Obi-Wan's cheeks flamed.

Kat'ri looked amused. "Are you asking me out, Obi-Wan?"

"Yeah," he muttered, looking at the floor.

"Well," she began, watching his head jerk up. "I'll have to clear it with my Master first, of course."

"But you want to come?" He sounded so hopeful that she tried not to giggle.

"Sure, it sounds like fun. I don't get to go to parties all the time like you do, Obi-Wan."

"Usually, they're really dull."

"It's still a chance to get out of the Temple," she said. "I'll ask Master Lin'ya during lunch, okay?"

The relief on Obi-Wan's face was so evident that Kat'ri laughed. /Are all boys this silly, or is it just Obi-Wan?/ She thought to herself.

Further conversation was halted by the appearance of Knight J'ten, their instructor, and the students' attention focused on their lessons. The party was momentarily forgotten as each struggled to appear attentive.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||