LOYALTY OF A PADAWAN: Part 8

by:  Katie
Feedback to:  SailrScout@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The wind blew a cool gentle breeze across the now peaceful landscape, a long awaited sense of rightness in the air.

"I hope that your trip home is safer than your stay on our planet." The tall woman in the shimmering green robe half teased.

"I assure you it will be quite uneventful." Qui-Gon replied, then added, "Prime Ministress Noela."

Noela smiled shyly. After the death of Prime Minister Eman-Jep it was voted that Noel should take his place as head of the planet.

"The title comes at a great cost." she said sadly. "The Prime Minister made quite a few bad choices, but he was a good man. He did not deserve an end such as the one he was met with."

"He gave his life while trying to do the right thing." The Jedi Master comforted. Obi-Wan had told them of the late Prime Minister's attempt to speak to his daughter and save her before the unthinkable happened. "MaraTa has lost a leader, but it has gained a great one in his place."

"Thank you, Master Jedi." Noela said with a nod.

"Prime Ministress Noela," The young Apprentice said quietly, as both sets of blue eyes turned to him. He was reluctant to ask the question biting at his tongue, but he had to know, "what will become of Kai-shia?"

Noela was touched by his hesitancy to ask a question that he feared would bring her pain. "That was something which was discussed for many hours." Noela told him. "Many wanted her killed for all of the death and pain she has caused the people and for the destruction of so much of our world."

She paused for a moment, the vision of her brother came into her mind, it faded and she began again. "But her life will not come to an end. She is to live out the remainder of it in a prison tower, alone, with the knowledge that she failed, and that all that she had accomplish was lost to her and can never be regained. That knowledge will hurt her more than any torture she could endure."

Obi-Wan nodded in acceptance to what Noela told him. Although he had been angry at Kai-shia for what she had done to his Master, the rage he felt was no longer in him. He decided instead that he felt sorry for her. He felt sorry for a person who was so cold and had such a lust for power that they would hurt others for it. Such a person knew no warmth and no goodness in life and never felt love. That was a very lonely way to live and the young Jedi pitied her for it.

A ship began to appear in the distant sky, coming closer with each passing moment. Noela looked up at its figure on the horizon, then turned to the Jedi and said, "No more formalities between us, my friends. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, I hope that one day you will return to MaraTa. I assure you it will be under much better circumstances." She smiled at them warmly.

"I hope that day will not be long in coming, Noela." Qui-Gon said to the woman.

"Thank you, for all that you did to help us." The Apprentice put in, realizing he never truly had a chance to thank her for the help she had shown them throughout the mission.

"No, Obi-Wan. It is I who thank you." She said as she looked down at the young Jedi. "I have no doubts that your bravery saved our people and our planet. You and your Master will be remembered for all of time."

The ship landed and caught their attention. The entrance slid open and a robed figure stepped out and quickly came to stand next to the Jedi and the planets new leader.

"It is good to see you alive, my friend." Mace Windu said while placing a hand lightly on the shoulder of his Jedi friend, aware of the injuries he had sustained.

"It is good to see you as well, Mace." Qui-Gon replied.

"Prime Ministeress Noela." Mace said with a bow.

"Master Jedi." Noela said, returning the gesture. As the two briefly talked about some minor points from the Jedi Council, Obi-Wan felt the Living Force, which he usually had a difficult time grasping, come to him in a rush. He looked around and understood why. Off in the distance he could see the capital, which had been deserted when he first arrived was now buzzing with activity. The citizens were out of hiding and no longer feared their day to day lives. All of the living that had been forced to come to a halt now was able to begin again.

Obi-Wan felt his Master's eyes on him, and looked up to meet them.

Qui-Gon nodded at him in a silent gesture of approval. Their mission here was over.

The Jedi exchanged their goodbyes with Noela and started toward the transport that would take them home to the Jedi Temple on Corucsant; a trip which seemed past overdue.

"You know, Qui-Gon," Mace, who walked next to his Jedi friend, started. Qui-Gon gave an inward groan, knowing by the sound of his friend's voice that whatever remark that was to come would be a sarcastic one. "You look terrible." Mace softened his statement with a smile.

"Thank you, Mace. I could not have figured that one out on my own. I'm so grateful that you are present to tell me these things." Qui-Gon teased.

"Any time, Qui-Gon. Anytime." Mace replied.

Obi-Wan laughed; causing Qui-Gon to smile, knowing that it was the first time the boy had done so since before they arrived on the planet. He put a hand on his Padawan's good shoulder. "It's time to go home, my Padawan." Qui-Gon said. Obi-Wan looked up at him and smiled.

"Yes, Master."

"Oh, and Mace." Qui-Gon called over his shoulder to his friend who was behind them now as they walked up the ramp of the ship. "By the way, you looked like you've gained some weight."


Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were given as much time as they needed to recuperate from their injuries. Qui-Gon especially needed rest after the torture he had endured. Both Master and Apprentice were healing well now that they were home at the Jedi Temple. Only, their spirits seemed to be healing slower than the bodies which kept them.

The sun had set on Courscant long ago, it was far into the night. All was quiet and peaceful within the Jedi Temple, all except the apartment where a restless Qui-Gon slept.

He sat up with a start on his sleep couch, dripping with a cold sweat. It was only a dream, yet it seemed so real. He saw himself, back on MaraTa, cold and tortured. But more to his horror he saw blood on the ground, which he knew to be Obi-Wan's. He could hear his Padawans screams in the darkness before him, only he couldn't reach him.

But it was only a dream, no a nightmare, and not the first he had suffered since his return. He lay back down and centered himself, attempting to get back to sleep. However, sleep eluded him, he was beyond rest. He stood up from his sleep couch and quickly dressed himself. He needed to find peace, and he would not find it here.

Almost unconsciously Qui-Gon quietly slid the door to his Padawan's room open to check on the sleeping boy, as any parent would their child when they themselves were ill at ease. Obi-Wan seemed to be sleeping soundly for the time being. The Jedi Master stood watching the boy rest for a few moments longer, he then turned and left, shutting the door behind him. He left the small apartment and walked to the most peaceful garden in the Jedi Temple, the Garden of a Thousand Fountains.

The wind blew lazily though the trees, the sound of the wind in the leaves along with the trickling of the many fountains was that of a gentle whisper. Qui-Gon seated himself on a bench near one of the larger fountains, letting his hand dip into the cool water which glimmered in the moonlight.

He tilted his head upward to the sky, letting the atmosphere of the garden be absorbed into his consciousness.

"Beautiful the garden is at night." said the familiar voice of the Jedi Master whom Qui-Gon hadn't noticed was sitting beside him.

"Master Yoda," Qui-Gon said, almost startled, "I'm sorry I didn't hear you enter the garden."

"Quiet I can be, when I want to." The small green Jedi Master teased his former student. "How feel you?" he then asked.

"Better, Master Yoda, thank you." Qui-Gon replied.

Yoda nodded thoughtfully, "Yet, unrestfull your sleep has been." He said, looking at Qui-Gon with sleepy eyes.

There was no use in arguing, Yoda knew him to far to well. "Yes, Master Yoda."

"Understandable this is, Qui-Gon. Been through much you and your Apprentice have." Yoda said.

At the mention of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon's thoughts turned to the dream he had suffered. He closed his eyes and images of the events on MaraTa sprang before his eyes. Yoda sensed his change.

"Hurting you are, Qui-Gon." Yoda commented, putting up a hand to silence the tall Jedi by his side when he began to open his mouth to say other wise. "Your spirit cries out. Listen to it you must. Failed your Apprentice think you did."

"I was warned they would be after him." The Jedi Master replied while shaking his head, "I should have watched him more closely."

"Remember you must Qui-Gon, grows Obi-Wan does. No longer a boy he is, but a young man, and a remarkable Apprentice. For knew he did when go against his Master's orders he must. Saved you he did. Taught him well you have, therefore failed him you did not." Yoda lending his wisdom to his former student. Qui-Gon simply looked at him, for a moment, then nodded.

Yoda lowered himself from where he sat on the bench and left the Jedi in the garden with his thoughts.

Qui-Gon remained on the garden bench, pondering Yoda's words. It was true, Obi-Wan was growing, a little to fast for his Master's liking. It didn't seem too long ago that he was that twelve year old boy trying to please him and desperate to be taken as a Padawan, frightened no one cared what would become of him. Now he was a strong seventeen year old, with a good heart and spirit. Qui-Gon thought of the great Jedi his Padawan would one day become.

He smiled and looked up to the sky once again, "One of the greatest." He said to himself.

'Master?!' Came Obi-Wan's voice into their bond, panic and confusion with it. The Jedi Master bolted up and raced out of the garden back to the apartment where he had left his Padawan.

Qui-Gon burst though the door and found his Apprentice standing in the middle of the living area, intense worry written on his face.

"Obi-Wan, what is it? What's wrong?" a deeply concerned Qui-Gon asked as he made his way across the room to stand next to his Padawan.

"I woke up, and you weren't here, you were gone. I... I thought..."

The startled Obi-Wan trailed off, now becoming a little embarrassed.

Qui-Gon saw this and a soft smile crept its way up his face. "Sit down, Obi-Wan." he said as he led his Apprentice to a nearby couch. They both sat and Qui-Gon turned to face Obi-Wan. "Tell me." The Jedi Master said simply.

"I had woke from a bad dream, Master." A calmer Obi-Wan stated. "I went to your room and when you weren't there I thought..." he paused, gathering the painful words, "I thought this time you were truly gone and I would never see you again." he said this with his head hung low, somewhat ashamed that he had let a dream frighten him so badly. He looked up only when he felt his Master's hand on his shoulder.

"It is all right, Obi-Wan." the Master reassured his Apprentice. "I too had a disturbing dream. I left to the garden to center myself, that is where I was. I should have let you know, but I did not want to wake you. I'm sorry."

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan gave the respectful reply, his eyes down cast once again.

"What troubles you, my young Padawan?" Qui-Gon asked, although he knew the answer already.

"I couldn't do anything to help you, Master." Obi-Wan quietly said. "All I could do was stand and watch."

"But you did do something, Obi-Wan. I was too busy trying to protect you to understand what you were feeling at the moment. That is why I gave you the order to leave me. Yet, you knew in your heart what was right, you let the Force guide you. These are things that I have taught you all along. You did the right thing, Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon assured his Apprentice.

"I almost lost you." Obi-Wan said in a barely audible muffled cry.

Although his head was bent, Qui-Gon could see the glistening of tears in the eyes of his Padawan.

"And I almost lost you, Obi-Wan. But, we were able to protect each other and come out safe in the end." Qui-Gon's hand lifted his Padawan's chin up to meet the blue eyes, using his thumb to brush away a tear that made it's trail down the young face. "I am proud of you, Obi-Wan." The life in the eyes of his Apprentice seemed to fill with light once again.

"Thank you, Master." Obi-Wan said, letting his face relax into a small smile. Qui-Gon gathered the young man into his arms, they embraced in a tight hug. The Force filling the bond they shared, yet it was stronger than Master and Apprentice, it was that of a father and son.

When they finally separated the sun shone though the window, taking away the shadows of night, and the shadows which lingered in their minds.

"Come, Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon said as he stood, helping his young Apprentice to his feet. "It is a new day, and you have much to learn."

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan replied, standing next to Qui-Gon.

They turned to walk in the light of a new day, and in the light of the Force.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||