LOYALTY OF A PADAWAN: Part 7

by:  Katie
Feedback to:  SailrScout@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Qui-Gon sensed his attacker hiding in the shadows and quickly turned to face him. The man shot out the same weapon they had used on Qui-Gon before in an attempt to once again stun the Jedi Master. The Jedi would not make the same mistake twice. Although the movement caused pain to his battered form, instead of jumping to the side Qui-Gon tucked and rolled away from the energy claw, the electric wires passing over him by only inches. While still on the ground he ignited his Padawan's lightsaber and cut the cables away from the claw. His attacker watched as the weapon fell useless to the ground.

The man drew a blaster set for stun; however before he could fire at his target he felt cold metal press against the back of his neck.

"Drop your weapon." the female voice of Counselor Noela said, pressing her blaster closer to the man's neck as he hesitated; he threw his weapon to the ground. "Are you all right?" she called to Qui-Gon who was slowly rising to his feet.

The Jedi did not reply as he ran to where Noela held the attacker at bay.

"What have you done with Obi-Wan?" Qui-Gon asked, almost out of breath. The man simply looked down at the floor beneath his feet, saying nothing.

The Jedi Master had great amounts of patients, however it was wearing thin. He brought the lightsaber up so that it was level with the man's neck. The fearful eyes of his would be abductor stared at the blue fire.

"I want to know what happened to my Padawan, as of now you seem to be the person to ask. Where have you taken him?" Qui-Gon said calmly yet allowing force to enter into his voice so the attacker would know his request was not to be taken lightly.

"No..." the man quivered. "No, you don't understand. You don't know what she'll do to me." he pleaded.

"Right now she is not your concern, we are." Noela countered. "Tell us where the boy is and no harm will come to you."

"W...we were ordered to come here and recapture the Jedi." he said to them but his gaze never pulled away from the blade of light at his neck. "But, this time the Lady Kai-Shia wanted the Apprentice as well. Once we took him a group of us were told to stay and wait for the Master. But at the first sign of trouble the rest took off and left me here." he said the last part bitterly as he was left behind by his fellow soldiers.

"They took Obi-Wan back to the base then?" Qui-Gon asked. The soldier gave a small nod, not wanting the blue blade to come any closer to him. The Jedi felt despair go through him. Kai-Shia had told him what would be done to his Padawan if he was caught, and she did not seem like the type to go back on her word.

He looked to Noela, who understood his worry.

"They'll be gone by now, and they'll be expecting us to try something." she said to him.

"That can be easily fixed." the Jedi said as he took the comlink from the soldiers belt. "Contact your people and tell them to come back."

"No!" he said horrified. "No, I can't she'll torture my family! She'll kill them! I can't! Please!" he pleaded.

"She will do all of what you have said to my Apprentice if you don't help me." Qui-Gon said, the soldier looked up at him confused. "I am not ordering you, I'm asking for your help. Don't let what has happened to so many happen to my Padawan. He has done nothing to you or to Kai-Shia. He does not deserve what will happen to him."

"You can do this of your own free will, make the right decision." Noela asked softly. "We can protect you."

"The choice is yours." The Jedi said to the soldier, hoping he would make the right one. The man looked at him for a moment longer, then took his comlink from Qui-Gon who lifted the lightsaber away from his neck.

The conversation was short. The soldier said that he had the Master and needed help to bring him back to base. The team which had left him would be sent back to offer assistance. Although he was thanked for his help the soldier was taken into custody by Noela's forces to assure that they would not be double-crossed. As he was taken away, the Jedi Master and the Counselor raced down the dark corridors to meet Kai-Shia's forces who would soon arrive.

"I need reinforcements on the roofs and in the alleys now!" Noela ordered into her comlink to her commanding officer. As they ran, she mumbled something about how Kai-Shia could have found her secret base.

They reached the entrance to find that Kai-Shia's band had already returned.

"Send team two down there to help." the commanding officer of Kai-Shia's troops ordered firmly but quiet in manner.

"That wont be necessary." Qui-Gon said while stepping out of the shadows, Noela at his side. All weapon's pointed to the Jedi Master and the government representative.

"I think team two can belay that order." Noela stated while motioning toward the roofs of the buildings above them. All looked up and standing over them were Noela's volunteer soldiers, and within moments her comrades where in the alley as well, all with blasters pointed at Kai-Shia's group who were greatly outnumbered.

"Put down your weapons." the officer said, unwilling to let his men be killed in a battle they were destined to fail in. He looked to the pair in front of him. "Counselor Noela." he said to the representative.

"Captain Parcen." Noela replied with a slight bow.

"You know him." Qui-Gon did not ask but stated.

"Yes," Noela nodded. "he was the Captain of the guards of Tanhimm before he joined with Kai-Shia." she said with a certain amount of bitterness.

"What was I to do Noela?" the Captain asked, forgetting formalities. "Let Kai-Shia torture and kill my wife and children?"

"You could have taken a stand, Parcen." she stated gently, understanding his reasoning. "You didn't then, but you can now."

The Captain shook his head, "It's not that easy."

"Captain," Qui-Gon interjected, "when was the last time you gave an order to your forces which was your order, not Kai-Shia's? When was the last time you were given an order which you knew would not cause another person pain, and then passed on that order?" Captain Parcen hung his head, not looking at the Jedi's face, which still had cuts and bruises from his torture. Qui-Gon went on calmly, "I know you don't want this to continue. There has been so much pain here and it must be stopped. You can stop it Captain. The question is: will you?" The Captain lifted his head and looked at the Jedi Master.

"Commander," Parcen called over his soldier to his second officer.

"Yes, sir." the female officer responded.

"Send out the order that I am overriding any command given by Kai-Shia or anyone associated to her. We are no longer a part of her rebellion. Anyone still following her orders will be considered our enemy."

"Gladly, sir." She replied and ran back to give the long awaited order.

Qui-Gon heard Noela sigh in relief, s small victory had been won.

"The boy has been taken to Kai-Shia." The Captain answered the question Qui-Gon had not yet been able to ask. "After he helped you escaped she has been very interested in him. I'm not sure what her plans for him are. Only, considering what has been done to you and so many others I doubt it can be good."

"Will you take me to him?" The Jedi asked.

"Yes, but there are those who still follow Kai-Shia and have from the beginning. Some forced, some of their own free will. There could possibly be a battle. It may not be easy." The Captain admitted.

"It's no matter." Noela said, calling for her forces to follow. "It is time we end this."

"I will do whatever it takes to get him back." Qui-Gon said. The Captain nodded and gestured for them to follow.

"I just hope we get to him before it is too late." Noela said under her breath, not wanting Qui-Gon hear her.

Only, the Jedi had heard. His hand unconsciously moved his hand to his Padawan's lightsaber on his belt, his own had been taken from him long ago after he was attacked when they first arrived on the planet. Clutching to the last thing he had of his Apprentice for the time, images flashed before his eyes of the horrible things that had been or would be done to Obi-Wan if they did not reach him in time.

The Jedi Master let out a long, shaky breath. He would get to his Padawan in time to save him. He would not let Kai-Shia win by hurting his Apprentice. Because then she would have achieved what she wanted all along, to strike him with fear and pain in the only way she could, in the only way anyone could.

When they reached Kai-Shia's base, the battle began.


'Oh no, not again.' was the first thought that came to the young Jedi when he realized he was, once again, trying to regain consciousness. As the fog swirling about his mind began to clear he thought of the last thing he could remember. He had been sleeping peacefully when he was brought abruptly awake by the sharp pain of a needle in his neck. He had panicked and as he struggled to move, many rough hands grabbed him and held him in place. After that there was, once again, the darkness.

His eyes slowly opened as he awoke from his drugged state. He was lying crumpled on his side on the floor of a large and lavishly decorated room. When his vision finally cleared, he was met with the coldest, darkest brown eyes he had ever seen glaring back at him.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, little Jedi." Came the voice he recognized as Kai-Shia.

Obi-Wan did not answer, he could only gaze at the person who singly caused the one he cared for most so much pain. He found that his hands were chained behind his back. He began to use the Force to unlock the binders around his wrists, an almost instinctual gesture for him. When one of the binders opened a loud click was heard and echoed though the room. He was seized roughly by his injured shoulder by a guard he had not realized was behind him in the room. He bit his lip to keep from crying out as the pain in his shoulder sent a tingling down his spine. The guard hauled him to his knees, then quickly re-chained his hands.

"I trust you will not try that again." Kai-Shia said to him.

"I wouldn't count on that." Obi-Wan replied dryly while using the Force to control the pain

Kai-Shia gave a small smile and laughed under her breath. "You are very bold, little Jedi." she stated, amused. "Bold and foolish."

"You are not the first person to tell me that." The Padawan said. Kai-Shia ignored his remark.

"I mistook you for being weak. It would appear that I was mistaken in doing this. I must say I was impressed with your successful rescue." Her smile widened, "Such a shame it didn't work out quite the way you planned, isn't it?"

"How did you find us?" Obi-Wan asked, genuinely curious.

Kai-Shia shrugged, "Noela has her spies- I have mine."

"You can't want this for these people." The young Jedi attempted to reason with the woman. "They are in so much pain, Kai-Shia. They are tired and are beginning to hate you. You must end this before it is to late."

"You Jedi are all like." she said. "Always trying to talk things through, always trying to see the good in people. Well, you will find none of that here. I am in power, that is what I want, that is what I care about." Again she laughed quietly. "Yes, you Jedi are all alike." She turned away from him and slowly walked to the other end of the room. "Or perhaps it is just you and your Master who are alike." she stopped as she reached the wall opposite side of the room and opened a secret panel. In it was his Master's lightsaber. She took it out and held it before her. "I hear the Master-Padawan bond is strong. I am now quite sure that you were there so I'll ask you; what was it like watching your Master tortured before your eyes, little Jedi?" Her smile and eyes both held an eerie coldness to them as she said these words.

Obi-Wan looked away. How easy it would be to use the Force to call his Master's weapon to his hands and escape this place. But, as the hand of the guard once again gripped his injured shoulder and he felt the cool metal of a vibroblade against his neck, he forced himself to be realistic. He would not be able to escape under these circumstances. He had only two choices: to hope he could make Kai-Shia see things his way, which he found very unlikely, or hope that Qui-Gon would find him in time.

Kai-Shia walked back over to where the Padawan was on his knees. She put a hand on his cheek, forcing him to look up at her. "I made a promise to your Master. That he would feel pain, and fear beyond his imagination. I have not yet achieved my goal, but, as I'm sure you know by now, I don't give up that easily."

Two more guards entered the room and moved toward Obi-Wan. They held him by his shoulders while the other brought the vibroblade back to go down across his chest. They looked at Kai-Shia who nodded at them. He saw the blade glisten before he clenched his eyes tightly shut. The Apprentice braced himself for what was about to happen, calling to the Force to help him.

"Stop this at once!" A voice called before the vibroblade came down on the Padawan.

Obi-Wan opened his eyes to look at his rescuer. What he saw stunned him. He and Kai-Shia shared the same look of surprise.

"How did you get in here?" she asked in a hiss.

"I have my ways." The intruder replied as he moved closer to her.

"Well, Father, you are certainly the last person I expected to see." An amused smile crept up her face. "What is it that you want?"

"For you to stop this Kai-Shia." The Prime Minister said softly to his daughter. "It is time for it to end."

Kai-Shia gave a quick laugh, "You have never been able to stop me before. What makes you think you can do so now?"

"That is only because I never tried before, but now I must. I owe it to the People, and to the Jedi." He said and glanced down at Obi-Wan who looked back at him.

Suddenly the sound of blaster fire caught their attention. Kai-Shia and the Prime Minister looked out the large window to see her own soldiers in a battle against each other joined by the unmarked volunteers of Noela's army.

"You!" she hissed though clenched teeth at her father. Rage was written on every line of her face as she saw everything she had worked so hard for crumbling away. "You did this! How dare you!"

"This is not my doing, my dear, but your own. Because you have let these people grow to hate you. This is the people acting on their own, with their own thoughts, thoughts that are not yours." She turned away from him, and momentarily had what Obi-Wan thought to be a sorrowful look on her face. "It is over Kai-Shia, you must accept that." She turned back to her father as he held out a hand for her. "Come home, my daughter."

Her softened face took a hardened look to it once again. Her brow curled in a glare, "You think you know me so well? You know nothing you old fool!" From under the sleeve of her robe a small blaster appeared. Obi-Wan did not have the time to blink before Kai-Shia pulled the trigger, and the Prime Minister lay dead on the floor, a blaster bolt burned through his chest.

Obi-Wan gasped in horror and shock. Although Kai-Shia had done unimaginable things he assumed that her father could lead her back home and help her begin again, but that was not to be. Only now did the Padawan truly understand what he was dealing with. He was dealing with a person who had no conscious, and seemingly no heart. The fact made him sick to his stomach.

Kai-Shia moved to point the weapon at the still stunned Apprentice.

"A promise made a promise kept, little Jedi." She said as her finger tightened around the trigger once more.

A shot was fired and there was a cry of pain, only it was not Obi-Wan who cried out, but Kai-Shia. She sunk to the floor, the blaster falling from one hand and his Master's lightsaber from the other. She clutched her wrist which had been shot.

The guards who held Obi-Wan abruptly let him go to face their attackers. They reached for their weapons, the guard with the vibroblade already beginning to advance. But before they could take the offensive a stream of blue fire came down on them.

Obi-Wan turned and what he saw made his heart leap. For standing just inside the doorway was his Master and Counselor Noela at his side. Noela held the blaster before her, smoke still filtering from it. Her face took on a look of horror as her eyes trained on the dead prime minister.

Kai-Shia began to reach for her fallen blaster. However, before she could grasp it was pushed away by an invisible hand. Those hands also opened the binders around Obi-Wan's wrists, and they fell with a clank to the floor.

Qui-Gon rushed to his Apprentice. He knelt so he could look into the blue- green eyes.

'Obi-Wan,' he said directly into the bond which they shared, 'are you all right?' he asked concerned, using the Force to check for any injuries on his Padawan.

'Yes, Master.' Obi-Wan replied relieved.

'I'm so sorry, my Padawan.'

'Don't be Master. I'm fine, they didn't hurt me.' he felt his Master's guilt. 'You didn't fail me.' He added to comfort his Master.

Qui-Gon wrapped his arms around his Apprentice and held him tightly and Obi-Wan clung to his Master just the same. It was true, he was safe. There was no pain, and no fear. Noela's footsteps brought them back to the present. She stood in front of the fallen Kai-Shia who looked up at her.

"Well Noela," Kai-Shia gasped, "what will you do now? Will you kill me?" her tone was mocking.

"I would have every reason to." Noela responded calmly. "After what you did to the planet, the Jedi, your own father, and my brother. I'd say I have a fair amount against you." she paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "But I wont. Because killing you wont change what has happened, and it wont bring my brother back. You will have to answer to the people Kai-Shia, not to me." Captain Parcen came in with a few of his soldiers. "Captain." Noela called to him and he stepped forward. "Send out the word to Kai-Shia's soldiers that we have captured their leader, there is no reason for them to continue fighting." She closed her eyes and said, "It's over."

"With pleasure, Counselor." Parcen said with relief. He motioned for two of his guards, who came to where Noela stood. As she stepped away, the guards hauled Kai-Shia to her feet and pushed her out the door. The power and fear she had over MaraTa dissolved as she stepped out of the room.

Noela bent down to pick up Qui-Gon's fallen lightsaber. "I believe this belongs to you." She said as she moved toward the two Jedi and handed the Jedi Master his weapon. He nodded in thanks and returned his lightsaber to its rightful place on his belt, handing Obi-Wan back his own. Noela looked around the room for a moment, then turned and quietly left.

Qui-Gon's strength was failing him. His adrenaline had worn off and he was still weak from the torture. His heart seemed to be beating somewhere around his ears and his vision blurred. The Jedi brought his hand to his pounding temples.

"Master are you all right?" His Apprentice asked worried.

Qui-Gon smiled and said, "I am now, my Padawan." He carefully stood and put out a hand to help the boy to his feet. "Come, Obi-Wan." he said, Obi-Wan took his Master's hand and stood beside him. "It is time we leave."

"Yes, Master."

Together they walked out the door, and together their healing could now begin.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||