LOYALTY OF A PADAWAN: Part 6

by:  Katie
Feedback to:  SailrScout@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Qui-Gon watched as his Padawan slipped into unconsciousness and watched as the hood of their rescuer was removed to reveal the identity of the person beneath it. Long pale hair spilled out of the hood and fell about the waist. Crouching by the fallen Apprentice, she checked his pulse and his breathing. Only when she was content with what she found did she turn to the battered Jedi Master.

"He will be all right." The tall woman said, answering the Jedi's unvoiced question. Qui-Gon noticed that her blue eyes seemed to gleam in the darkness.

"Who are you?" Qui-Gon asked in a tired but determined voice.

"I am Counselor Noela Tanmhin." She gave her formal name. The Jedi was somewhat stunned to learn that a government representative was behind their rescue. "I must apologize for what has happened to you Master Jinn", she stated remorsefully. "I am sure you have many questions, all which will be answered in time. However, first we must leave this place and get you and your Apprentice to a healer." Counselor Noela motioned for them to follow. Obi-Wan was once again picked up off the ground and his limp form was carried down the dark passage.

Qui-Gon kept a close eye on his Padawan as they walked. The boy had saved him, even when he had told him not to, even when he warned him of what would happen, and ordered him to go, his Apprentice had saved him. However, Obi-Wan had also gotten himself badly hurt in the process. Now instead of one injured Jedi on the mission, there were two.

'Obi-Wan,' Qui-Gon thought more to himself than his unconscious Padawan, 'why do you have to be so stubborn!' Another thought crossed his mind at almost the same time, one of Yoda's teachings.

"Look to yourself you must, when questioning others." Came the words of the old Jedi Master.

A small faint smile appeared on Qui-Gon's bruised face as he realized his own feelings. He gave an inward sigh and thought to the boy, 'I would have done the same thing for you.' Although Obi-Wan could not hear him.


"Gone?" Kai-Shia hissed though clenched teeth. "What do you mean he is gone?"

"He is gone, my Lady." The shaken Captain of the Guards replied.

"Tortured Jedi do not just disappear from their cells." An angered Kai-Shia shot back. "Report Captain."

Many things flashed though the Captain's mind as he attempted to speak, the lives of his family, his wife, what would be done to them, in the midst of this he founds his voice. "He escaped with the help of his Apprentice." He said, fearful of angering his leader.

Kai-Shia stood from her chair and faced the window.

"So it appears I have underestimated the Apprentice." She said to herself. "A mistake I don't plan on making again. Captain!" She called and the Captain immediately came to attention. "I doubt they got far without aid. The Master was already weakened and from your reports one or both of them very likely might have been shot. Find them, and when you do, throw the Master back into his cell, but bring the Apprentice to me." She said, and the Captain of the guards quickly left the room, gathering his troops as well as his wits. With no one left in the room to hear her, Kai-Shia added, "It's time I met this Obi-Wan Kenobi."


There was a far off point of light in the darkness he was surrounded in. He knew he must reach the light to return to the surface. Slowly, ever so slowly, he made his way to it. It became brighter and brighter, leaving the darkness behind him. He heard someone calling to him, and he knew he must break free. He pulled toward the light and toward consciousness.

"Obi-Wan?", came the voice in the haze around him. The image before him was blurred and he couldn't quite make out all of the voices around him for his heart was pounding in his ears. He felt a hand move to his and the voice come to him again. "Padawan?", it said, the voice of his Master. His eyelids opened the rest of the way and the blue-green orbs which lay beneath focused on the older man at his side.

"Master?" Obi-Wan asked questioningly, Qui-Gon simply nodded. Slowly he began to remember the events which took place before he was knocked out. As he tried to sit up he was met with a stab of pain in his ribs and shoulder. He winced as the sensation hit him, his head still throbbing.

"Careful, my Padawan." Qui-Gon caution as he slipped a bandaged arm around his Apprentice to support him. "You have been shot twice and you have quite a concussion. You've been unconscious for some time now. You are lucky to be all in once piece."

Obi-Wan looked up at his worried Master. The wounds Obi-Wan could see had been treated and the rest lay under a new tunic. The Apprentice looked around him. They were in a large room lit by many glow lamps, what was not lit was dark and shadowy, there were many people dressed in dark clothing talking amongst themselves. The entire place had a very secretive atmosphere about it.

"Where are we?" The confused Jedi asked. Before Qui-Gon had a chance to answer a figure stepped out from behind the shadows.

"I believe that is a question I can answer, young Kenobi", said a female voice. Obi-Wan recognized the voice as its owner came into view.

"Counselor Noela?" the Padawan said, surprised to see the government representative. "You were the one who helped us." he stated, Noela nodded.

"I am afraid that the Prime Minister has more secrets which he hid from you, young Jedi. It is time you and your Master hear the entire truth", she paused for a moment, then began again. "I know that you were told that everything in our power was done to attempt to stop Kai-Shia, although that is not true."

"What has been done?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Nothing." Noela said bitterly. "Nothing at all has been done. The Prime Minister is in a state of complete denial. He refuses to believe it is his daughter doing these things. He put up the force field around the government building in hopes of waiting her out and that she will soon tire of her little 'game' as he likes to put it." Her fists were clenched tightly and they began to turn white. "Before either of you ask," she said, her gaze drifting to each Jedi, "Yes, he does see the terrible things which take place at his daughters behalf, those who are tortured and killed. Yet, he is determined to be a good father in his own mind and will therefore do nothing to stop her."

"A good father would not have let things escalate this far." Qui-Gon interjected. Noela nodded in agreement.

"The people are getting tired, Master Jedi. I am getting tiered." She said with a great sigh.

"You formed a resistance then." Qui-Gon did not ask, but stated.

"I did not like going behind the backs of the Prime Minister and the rest of the Council, but I had no choice. I could not let this continue." She truthfully said. "I suppose you could say we are a rebellion for the rebellion. We are growing stronger but we still do not match Kai-Shia's forces."

"Who are the people who decided to join you", asked the Apprentice. She turned toward the other people who filled the room.

"Mostly we consist of those who have lost someone they love because of Kai-Shia and do not wish the same for others." She said this sadly, turning to face the Jedi again. "I will not ask you to help our cause. I am aware of the Jedi code and I understand you cannot take sides. That, and how could I ask you after what has been done." She stated this without looking in Qui-Gon's direction, she couldn't. "Only, I am afraid that there is no way to get off of the planet and there is no way to call for help. We have no starfighters and Kai-Shia is in control of the transmissions. Until she is over thrown I am afraid you are simply stuck here."

Qui-Gon felt her deep remorse and placed a hand on her shoulder. "We thank you for your help Counselor. And we assure you that we will do everything in our power to help and protect you." Noela smiled at the tall Jedi.

"Thank you", she but whispered. "Now," she said with more confidence. "I ask that both of you get some rest. You are in need of it." This time she did look at Qui-Gon when she spoke.

"Thank you Counselor Noela." Obi-Wan stated to the woman who was filled with sorrow. She smiled at him.

"You are very brave, Young Kenobi. Many have wanted to do what you did. You give our people hope." She bowed to the two Jedi, then turned and left.

Obi-Wan watched her leave then looked back up to see Qui-Gon starring at him. A question hit the Apprentice with a wave of panic. 'Was his Master angry with him?'

"No Obi-Wan, I am not angry with you." Qui-Gon said with a shake of his head. "I am simply worried, but by no means angry."

A flood of emotions came over the young Padawan. "Oh Master! I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! But I couldn't, I just couldn't..." he stopped unable to go on as he was struck with the visions of his Master suffering so much pain and not being able to do anything to help him.

"Shhhh it's all right, my Padawan. I know." Qui-Gon soothed his grief stricken Apprentice. Although he was still in great pain and was weary the older Jedi sent a gentle wave of the Force though the bond he shared with the boy.

The complete caring and sense of family which came over Obi-Wan calmed his hurting soul. He relaxed into the Force and let it lead him to sleep.

Qui-Gon watched his sleeping Padawan for a moment longer before he turned to leave. He was only a few feet from where his Apprentice lay when he was struck by a sensation of pain. The effects of the torture had left him weak and the pain he had been trying to hide came back to him with a stronger force than before. He abruptly stopped, his hand moving protectively to his chest where many of his injuries lay hidden under his tunic. He brought the Force around him to relieve some of the agony.

"Are you all right", came the voice of Counselor Noela.

"Yes, I will be" he assured her. She looked at him sadly.

"I am deeply sorry, Master Jedi."

Qui-Gon nodded, "Thank you." She looked over to the sleeping figure of Obi-Wan.

"I hope you were not too hard on him for coming to find you." She stated, and for the first time truly spoke of the abduction of the Jedi to him.

Qui-Gon smiled and gave a small laugh. "I assure you Counselor I was not." He said. "That boy is like my son. If things had been turned around and it was him who had been taken I would have done the same thing." Noela smiled at him, but the Jedi saw the mournful look in her light blue eyes. "She took someone from you." He stated.

Noela looked startled for the moment, not understanding how the Jedi could know such a thing. "Yes," she confirmed. "My older brother, who was also my best friend. He was always so watchful and protective of me. I use to find it annoying, now I would give anything to hear his voice scolding me for being out too late or not letting him know where I was." Her mask of strength and confidence slipped for a moment and her eyes sparkled with tears. "Kai-Shia bid me to join her," she continued, "but I refused to have any part in her rebellion. So she took something I loved. She tortured him, as she did you. I was forced to watch his life drain away and there was nothing I could do. She stole him from me." The tears spilled down her cheeks. She felt the Jedi's hand once again on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry", was all he could say to her for the loss of someone whom she cared had for so deeply.

She regained some composure and very lightly put her hand on his arm, afraid of further hurting one of his injuries. "Take good care of Obi-Wan, Master Qui-Gon. You will never truly know how precious he is to you until you lose him." The Jedi held her gaze for a moment until she broke away, "And I am afraid he is in danger now", she said regretfully. "By saving you he has shown the people of MaraTa that they can rise up against Kai-Shia. If one person could do it, Jedi or not, then so can they. He has shown her up, Master Jedi and she will not take kindly to that."


Qui-Gon was in pain, but more to his horror, so was Obi-Wan. His Padawan was screaming, crying out for his Master to help him, only, Qui-Gon could not. He could not move, could not speak, and could come to the aid of his Apprentice.

"It is your punishment, my Jedi." The soft but evil voice of Kai-Shia said, "Yours and his alike." Violent laughter erupted as his Padawan gave out one last bone chilling cry and then was gone.

Qui-Gon awoke with a start, sitting straight up in the sleep couch, sweat dripping down his face; a nightmare, an awful, horrible nightmare. Or was it? Something did not feel right.

The Jedi Master heard a clank and the shuffling of feet. Panic flooded the bond he shared with Obi-Wan, then there was nothing. Qui-Gon already on his feet, raced to where he had left his Apprentice, only the sleep couch was empty, his Padawan no where in site. Qui-Gon felt panic surge through him again, only this time it was his own. He looked down to discover what had made the noise he heard. He bent down and picked up his Padawan's lightsaber where it lay discarded on the ground.

Obi-Wan was gone, and whoever took him was still here.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||