LANGUAGE, LANGUAGE: Part 1

by: Cheshire Cat
Feedback to: cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com

Author's Notes:  This is just a bunny that wouldn't die quietly.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"You've got some explaining to do, Padawan." Qui-Gon was irritated. His eyes held that dangerous gleam Obi-Wan had come to associate with disciplinary action. He winced inwardly.

"What have I done, Master?"

Qui-Gon turned his sternest gaze upon his Apprentice. "When I get stopped in the hall by a fellow Knight I expect conversation to be confined to mission details or pleasantries. I do not expect to be told that my Padawan has exhibited inappropriate behavior in his classes."

Obi-Wan closed his eyes briefly. "This is about what I said to Rac'ne, isn't it?"

"Yes. If you had said what you did to him privately, I would have no objections. However, being as you used incredibly rude language in the presence of other Padawans, some much younger than yourself, as well as in the presence of your teacher…" Qui-Gon left it hanging.

Obi-Wan shifted his feet on the floor of their quarters. He had lost his temper in class earlier that day and had snapped at a fellow Apprentice. In point of fact, he'd used a couple of choice phrases he'd picked up from the spacers' bars and the crew of some of the freighters he and Qui-Gon had traveled on together in the past three years.

"I guess we're way past the point of 'I'm sorry', huh?"

"Way past, Padawan."

/Sith, I'm in for it now/ Obi-Wan thought to himself. Aloud, he said: "Respectfully, Master, what more do you want me to say?"

Qui-Gon drew a deep breath. He took his Apprentice by the arm and led him to the dining room table. The Jedi Master took a seat and gestured for Obi-Wan to do the same.

"Obi-Wan, I assume if you're old enough to use such… colorful language, that you're old enough to understand what the words mean."

/Oh by the hells/ Obi-Wan thought, /We're not going to have 'the talk', are we? Sith, I'm sixteen/

"Yes, Master. I am aware of the meaning."

Relief flickered briefly across Qui-Gon's features before they turned stern again.

"I'm disappointed in your restraint, Padawan - or rather, your lack of restraint. You allowed your temper to get the better of you."

Obi-Wan's eyes were firmly focused on the table in front of him. He swallowed before answering. "Yes, Master. I should have known better than to allow Rac'ne to…agitate me."

"So you should have," Qui-Gon's voice was iron hard.

"Master, I-"

"No, Padawan, I don't want to hear another word. We will discuss this further after you have meditated on your actions. Moreover, I want you to compose three letters of apology. One to Knight J'ten, one to the rest of the class, and one to Padawan Rac'ne."

"No."

"Excuse me, Padawan." Qui-Gon fairly snarled the words.

Obi-Wan swallowed hard again. "I don't mind writing to Knight J'ten or to the class, but I will --not write a letter to Rac'ne."

Their wills clashed silently. Qui-Gon considered if this was a case of 'picking one's battles.' He decided to rely on his diplomacy training.

"Padawan, I will not allow your behavior towards Rac'ne to go unpunished. However, if you can think of a more suitable apology to offer to Rac'ne, I'm willing to hear it."

Obi-Wan considered his Master's offer. He met Qui-Gon's gaze steadily as he answered, "Master, I would prefer that any discipline be conducted privately. Between the two of us."

"Obi-Wan, you're sixteen. I'm not going to turn you over my knee, as I could when you were younger. You have to face this one on your own. Now, either you think of a suitable apology, or I will think of one for you."

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan said, somewhat disconsolately. "I will apologize to Rac'ne in person, Master."

Qui-Gon looked momentarily baffled. "Padawan, how is apologizing in person more acceptable to you?"

"If I wrote Rac'ne a letter, he would have a permanent record of a rather humiliating document. This way, it'll just be his word against mine."

Qui-Gon chuckled softly before becoming stern once more. "Your quarters, Padawan. Now." He pointed a commanding arm.

Obi-Wan rose from the table, bowed to his Master, and crossing the room, entered his quarters.


Part 1    Part 2

Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||