JOY: Part 1

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


The seabirds in the pale golden skies wheeled and danced along the clouds, cawing softly. Qui-Gon Jinn watched them as a pair swooped down, skimmed the deep blue waves, and came up with small silvery fish in their beaks.

But their flights were odd, wobbly. As if they were slightly drunk.

Qui-Gon shook himself from his reverie and began the trek along a dirt road, to where Obi-Wan was waiting on the outskirts of the capitol city. Tall crystalline spires rose above the marble rooftops, and he could see bristling seabird nests atop them.

But he frowned slightly as he drew closer to the outskirts, seeing traces of decay in the buildings structure. One of the spires was definitely leaning to one side, and ivy overgrew the walls in places. He saw crumbled pillars and holes in the walls.

"They could use some repair, Master," Obi-Wan said quietly.

Qui-Gon squinted into the distance. "What do you sense, padawan?"

"Not much, Master..."

Two white-clad figures were coming toward them, a man and a woman. The Asme, the inhabitants of the world of Asmirae, were tall and unnaturally pale, with grayish hair cropped short and luminous green eyes. Their faces were composed.

"Master Jinn," the man said.

Qui-Gon bowed slightly to them. "I am Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is Obi-Wan Kenobi, my apprentice."

The two smiled almost rapturously, as if they were delighted by the Jedi's presence. "We are honored by your taking time for our petty bickerings," the woman said with a wide smile. "Please, we will take you to your suite before the negotiations begin."

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow and grinned.

As the two led the Jedi into the city, Qui-Gon reached out and touched the minds of the guides. They felt peaceful and happy, genuinely glad to see the two Jedi. He felt some of his tension release. Obi-Wan also seemed happier, chatting with the female guide, Lasal.

"Tell me," he asked Toshoi, the male guide, whose name was embroidered on his vest. "Why are these buildings so run down? I was under the impression that your planetary trading was going well."

Toshoi smiled slightly. "We only repair that which severely needs it. Is everything always repaired on Coruscant?"

"No," confessed Qui-Gon.

Toshoi's smile widened. "All right, you have me," Qui-Gon said with a smile. "I'm surprised that a world with such a reputation as yours has gotten into a trade dispute."

Toshoi shook his head regretfully. "A very sad thing, Master Jedi. A very sad thing indeed. I hope that the negotiations with our rival province will be brief."

"A very refreshing viewpoint."

"I thank you."

"Is it something that all of the Asme possess?"

Toshoi raised his head proudly. "We receive it as Joy."

Qui-Gon fell silent. Some cultures saw happiness and bliss as being almost holy things, and that was probably the case here. "Intriguing."


The "suite" turned out to be a small house, built low to the ground and overlooking a grassy lavendar field, and a winding river that led to the sea.

Obi-Wan's eyes went wide at the sight of the view. "Can you believe this, Master?" he asked, flopping down on a pristine white couch.

Qui-Gon smiled at his apprentice, seating himself on a large wooden chair that looked vaguely like a throne. "It's better than the caves of Rumari 7."

"ANYTHING is better than the caves of Rumari 7. The bats, the poisoned drinking water-"

Qui-Gon smiled. "-the endless marching."

"I thought my feel were going to fall off." Obi-Wan winced at the memory."Did I mention the bats?"

"Yes."

"The carnivorous ones?"

"Is that how you showed up with bites all over your hands?" Qui-Gon teased.

Obi-Wan sat up suddenly as Toshoi and Lasal reentered the room, with a young man and a middle-aged woman, both of them wearing the green robes of servants and peaceful expressions on their pale faces.

"This is Mortha and Jais," Lasal said, beaming. "They have been specially chosen to serve you and your apprentice during your time on Asmirae."

"I'm sorry, Jedi cannot-" Qui-Gon began.

Lasal looked slightly hurt. "Their services are a personal gift from the Council of Asmirae."

That tore it. Qui-Gon sighed, and nodded his agreement. Rejecting Jais and Mortha might offend the Council, and with the kingly treatment they had received, he doubted if it was fair to displease his hosts.

Lasal and Toshoi smiled dreamily and drifted out the door. Mortha, a bright-eyed little woman with a motherly manner, bowed to Qui-Gon and said, "Master Jinn, your room is on the second level. Your padawan's is down the hall, overlooking the river."

Obi-Wan grinned at that news, and as Mortha faded into the kitchen, he leaned back in his chair. "Master, are you looking forward to these negotiations as I am?"

"I believe so, padawan." Qui-Gon went to the window and glanced over the flower-strewn fields. "The Asme seem to be genuinely friendly and kind, they are happy to see us, and are treating us well than many of our hosts do. I think that this trip will be very relaxing..."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||