THE JEDI WHO WENT OFF TO LEARN WHAT FEAR WAS: Part 6

by:  Maddy
Feedback to:  popculture66@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Long hours or only minutes could have passed as Obi-Wan sat in a light trance state, stretching himself outward to see if he could pinpoint the source of his discomfort, but he found nothing. This annoyed him more than anything else--he hated being uncertain--but he was powerless. He had no choice but to wait and see what presented itself.

When the distraction finally came, it was the last thing he expected: his Master’s voice.

His blue-green eyes flew open, and before he was consciously aware of his own actions, he was scrambling to his feet, running for the door that lead to the main hall of the Temple. In the distance, he could hear Master Qui-Gon calling for him, his voice echoing through the empty ruin, and he followed it back to the entrance where a familiar, tall figure stood in the middle of the entry hall.

Despite the fact that he knew he would have to tell his Master that he’d failed to learn what fear was, Obi-Wan’s lips curved in a welcoming smile, and he ran even faster to greet Qui-Gon, eager to tell him of his adventures and more pleased than he could possibly say to see his Master again.

--Suddenly movement in the darkness.

To his left, Obi-Wan saw a strange creature leap into view, moving too fast for him to process anything more than fleeting images: something roughly humanoid, billowing black robes, red blotches on its face.

With a low growl, the creature whirled to face Master Qui-Gon, whose hand had strayed to his lightsaber--

--but the creature drew a weapon of its own.

A lightsaber.

Obi-Wan caught the barest flash of a crimson blade before the creature lunged forward--Qui-Gon doubled over, his expression registering pure shock--the creature snarled its satisfaction as the Jedi Master sprawled at its feet.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Tendons stood out on Obi-Wan’s neck with the force of the cry, and he found himself reeling backwards as if staggering under the shock of the death-blow.

And then the creature turned to Obi-Wan.

Somehow, his lightsaber was in his hand and activated. Somehow, he made himself push aside the pain and horror to deal with this enemy.

With a hoarse scream, the Padawan ran full-tilt towards the creature with only one thought in his mind: revenge

The creature made a taunting little “come on” gesture to him, gloating over its victory, succeeding in infuriating Obi-Wan even more. He knew anger was of the Dark Side, but there was no time to calm himself, and so he redirected it, tempering his rising fury with memories of lessons with Qui-Gon. He could almost hear his Master’s voice in his head, directing him: “Breathe, Padawan. Study your opponant, and let the Force guide your movements.”

Gathering his strength, he opened himself to the Force, letting it flow through him--and as the creature mocked him, he struck.

Now it was the creature’s turn to look stunned, but that’s all it had time to do before it staggered backwards, then collapsed, sliced open from shoulder to waist.

His chest hitched with sobs as Obi-Wan let his ‘saber drop from suddenly nerveless fingers; it was the first time he had ever killed another living creature, but even that wasn’t the tragedy weighing most on his mind. Stumbling over to his fallen Master, he fell to his knees, groping frantically for the pulsepoints at the wrist and neck, but he felt no spark of life fluttering weakly under his fingertips. Qui-Gon’s eyes were open, but dull and faded, already clouding over.

His Master was dead.

“No...No...” Obi-Wan moaned over and over, unable to comprehend what had just occured. It had happened so quickly--it couldn’t be true--it just couldn’t!

But the evidence lay before him. He caught Qui-Gon’s hand in both his own and pressed it against his cheek, feeling it growing cool to his touch.

“My Master...” Tears stung his eyes, streaked his face as he wept freely and without shame. “My father...”

He hadn’t been fast enough...If only he’d gotten there sooner...if only he’d shouted a warning...

“Obi-Wan?”

The words, softly spoken in a voice that it should have been impossible for him to hear, made him snap his head up; the doors leading out of the Temple stood open, and pale morning light streamed in, illuminating the entry hall. His eyes blurred by tears, he couldn’t see details, only a large, dark figure standing backlit by the sun; dashing the salty drops away with the back of his hand, he stared harder, the figure stepped into the entrance hall--and there stood Master Qui-Gon, apparently alive and well.

Gasping, Obi-Wan glanced down at the body--only to see it shimmer and disappear. Across the room, the creature’s body faded away as well, leaving only the two living humans in the room.

“M-master?” Obi-Wan gazed up, is breath caught in his throat, scarcely able to believe what--or rather whom--he was seeing.

“Yes.” Master Qui-Gon knelt down next to him, peering at him with growing concern. “It’s dawn, my Padawan. I’ve come to take you home.”

With a wordless cry of joy, Obi-Wan did something he couldn’t remember ever doing before: he threw his arms around Qui-Gon and hugged him tight; Qui-Gon went still, momentarily stunned by this unexpected show of affection, then he returned the embrace.

“Obi-Wan, what is wrong?” He grasped his apprentice’s shoulders and held him at a slight distance, peering at the young man with alarm visible in his eyes. “You’re trembling.”

Obi-Wan laughed shakily, uncertain where to begin. “I...learned what you sent me here to learn, my Master. I know what fear is; I’ve felt it ice over my heart. It smells of blood and tastes of bright metal. I understand now.”

His Master smiled slightly and touched his cheek. “A harsh lesson, I think. What happened here that frightened you so badly?”

Obi-Wan slanted a questioning look at him. “Did you see nothing when you came in?”

“No, only you huddled on the floor, weeping.”

Nodding, Obi-Wan gazed thoughtfully at Master Qui-Gon, mulling over the events of the night and wondering if he should reveal what had happened; in the end, he said nothing and rose to his feet, bowing respectfully before turning away to retrieve his lightsaber. His Master asked no more questions, respecting the young man’s silent request for privacy in the matter, and if his apprentice was more attentive and affectionate in the days that followed than ever before, he let the behavior pass unremarked on, perhaps attributing it to Obi-Wan reaching a new level of maturity rather than anything that might have occurred on that long, dark night of the soul in the ruined Temple.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||