THE JEDI WHO WENT OFF TO LEARN WHAT FEAR WAS: Part 5

by:  Maddy
Feedback to:  popculture66@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Although Obi-Wan tried to pay attention to his surroundings, there was something disorienting about all the twisting and turning hallways the old man led him along, and despite his own skill, despite his training, he soon realized he was lost. They could be headed back for the dining hall, or they could be headed straight to a dungeon, and he wouldn’t know the difference.

At last, his guide rounded a corner, opened a small door--and there lay Obi-Wan’s camp site just as he’d left it, his lamps still glowing bright. Feeling a wave of relief sweep over him, he stepped into the room, planning to thank his erstwhile teacher for the attempt and then politely indicate he wanted to go sleep.

The blaster pressed against his temple altered his plans.

“Don’t move, little Jedi,” a gravelly voice snarled in his ear, “or you’ll die.”

Without even thinking twice, Obi-Wan ducked and tumbled away from his assailant, grabbing and activating his ‘saber as he rolled to his feet in one fluid motion, ready to defend himself.

His attacker whirled to face him, and Obi-Wan saw a tall, grizzled man with burning hatred in his eyes.

“What do you want?” he asked softly, holding his lightsaber steady in his hands. “I have nothing of value.”

“Except your life!” The man raised his blaster once more, aiming at Obi-Wan’s heart. “You Jedi--you’re scum, the lot of you! I want to see you all dead, and when you are, I’ll dance on your graves!”

Obi-Wan briefly wondered what had happened to him to consume him with so great a loathing for Jedi, but he didn’t care to ask even if he’d had the time, but the madman was firing at him, and it took all his concentration to block the deadly beams before they could reach him.

After trying to hit Obi-Wan with no success, the man gave an outraged yell and charged--a blind, furious lunge that the Padawan side-stepped easily. With one swift motion of his hand, he landed a blow on the back of the lunatic’s neck, knocking him unconscious. For a moment, he stood quietly, gazing down at the man, considering how wasted his mind, soul and life were, consumed as they were by wrathful fires. This, no doubt, was one of the many possible consequences his Master had warned him about if he ever became tempted to give in to anger.

“He will kill you when he wakes.” The old man, who had merely stood by and watched the battle with something akin to interest, now moved forward and spoke. “Why don’t you kill him first?”

“There is no need.” Obi-Wan deactivated his ‘saber and reattached it to his belt. “He is unconscious, and if I am here when he wakes, I will simply knock him out again. He can’t help himself, and it isn’t my place to punish him.”

“Even though he would gladly rip out your beating heart and show it to you while you die?” The old man was positively gleeful, but Obi-Wan refused to rise to his baiting.

“I can defeat him without killing him.”

“Very well.” Once more, the old man nodded and--to Obi-Wan’s surprise--he bent over, hooked his hands under the madman’s arms and began dragging him away.

“Where are you taking him?”

“Back where he belongs,” came the terse reply. “Never you mind. It’s enough for you to know he shan’t be killed.”

He hesitated, indecisive. Should he follow just to make sure the assailant wasn’t put to death? His instincts, however, urged him to stay put; the madman’s fate was not his concern, and he felt a strange sort of awareness--something was hovering just around the edges of his perception, making him restless, and he knew he wouldn’t sleep now no matter what.

Instead, he sat down on his bedroll again and waited.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||