THE JEDI WHO WENT OFF TO LEARN WHAT FEAR WAS: Part 4

by:  Maddy
Feedback to:  popculture66@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


“I have nothing to offer,” Obi-Wan told him quietly. “I have very little money--”

“I meant something else to frighten you, boy.” The man climbed to his feet and stumped closer, squinting up at him. “Since the threat of losing that precious weapon of yours isn’t enough. You’re an interesting puzzle, and I’ll teach you for free if you’re willing to learn.”

“Yes.” He nodded resolutely. “My Master sent me here to learn what fear was. I don’t want to fail him.”

“Very well.” Pointing one gnarled finger towards a tall set of double doors on the other side of the room--had they been there before? Obi-Wan wondered; he hadn’t noticed them when he first arrived--the old man gestured towards them. “Follow the hall beyond those doors down into the lower levels of the Temple. There you’ll find something to chill your blood and freeze the marrow in your blood right enough.”

Immediately, Obi-Wan set off, sprinting across the room, flinging open the doors and running down the corridor to a marble staircase leading down into darkness. The moss-covered walls glowed with a dim, pale green light, and since he had forgotten to bring a lamp, this alone enabled him to see as he made his way downward, going more slowly and carefully now lest he slip on the slick marble steps.

He heard the threatening roar before he saw the monster that uttered it, instantly going into battle-alert as the echo rang off the stone walls and reverberated all around him. In the darkness, he could barely make out a shadowy hulk on the other side of the room sprawling at the foot of the steps; slowly it lumbered towards him, and he waited, his breath caught in his lungs, his heart pounding with anticipation--but not with fright.

The fierce growling continued as the Rancor moved into sight, and Obi-Wan tensed, poised for flight--and sprang clear of the steps as the beast lunged at him, its mighty jaws snapping closed on the spot where he’d just stood. He could feel the heat of its breath steaming the air, feel its spittle spraying him, and he didn’t care to get any closer than that.

Darting around, Obi-Wan searched for an escape since the monster was now between himself and the stairs, staying along the perimeter of the room, hoping to find a door, another staircase--anything that would take him to safety. Meanwhile, the Rancor snuffled and roared, stalking him with deliberate care.

Skimming his fingers along the wall as he moved, Obi-Wan smiled to himself as he finally felt a doorframe; the door itself was wide--but not wide enough for the Rancor to follow him through. If it tried, it would be stuck, so it would be best off remaining where it was; either way, Obi-Wan would be safe--except when he closed his fingers around the handle, he found it locked.

Cursing under his breath, he pulled out his lightsaber, ignited it and hastily melted a hole in the metal door large enough for him to scramble through; once he was safely on the other side, he deactivated his ‘saber and stood, panting, as he listened to the Rancor’s frustrated yowling.

“Frightened?” The old man appeared suddenly out of the shadows, and Obi-Wan whirled around, staring at him.

“How did you get here?” he demanded. “What is that thing doing in the lower levels?”

“There are many secrets here, boy. It’s not up to you to ferret them out, especially in only one night,” the man retorted. “Now answer my question: were you frightened?”

“No.” Obi-Wan shook his head, almost regretfully.

“Why didn’t you kill it? That would’ve been the easiest way out. Kill it and go back up the stairs the way you came in.”

“There was no need,” he replied calmly. “Why should I take its life? Until I knew for certain that I had no other choice, I saw no reason to kill.”

“Fair enough.” With a curt nod, the other turned and stalked away, waving for the young apprentice to follow him back to the dilapidated dining hall from which they’d come.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||