THE JEDI WHO WENT OFF TO LEARN WHAT FEAR WAS: Part 1

by:  Maddy
Feedback to:  popculture66@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


“I’m not afraid of anything.”

It was that announcement--not intended as a boast but rather as a statement of fact--which had landed Obi-Wan in the position he currently found himself in, namely roaming around the site of the original Jedi Temple in the middle of the night.

Alone.

At the age of fifteen, Obi-Wan was already known as one of the top, if not THE top, apprentices in the Temple. He was quick and clever in his studies; he excelled at physical challenges as well, and while he wasn’t necessarily giving his Master a run for his money yet, there were very few of his fellow Padawan he couldn’t best in a duel. His abilities had taught him that he could do anything he set his mind on doing, and he met each new obstacle with a fierce determination--and a characteristic fearlessness.

Fear was simply a concept he didn’t grasp. Why should he be afraid of anything? He had a good life, doing exactly what he wanted to do: training to be a Jedi Knight. And he was good at it. There was no chance of him being rejected by the Order or his Master, and he knew himself well enough to say that while he might feel the occasional twinge of temptation, he would never turn to the Dark Side.

New situations, new opponants in battle, these were nothing to be feared either. They were simply matters to be dealt with in an appropriate manner. Fearing the unknown made no sense to him. The unknown wouldn’t be unknown any longer if you met it head-on and figured it out, now would it. THAT was his reasoning, and it had served him well.

He had sensed fear in others, of course, so he was familiar with what it felt like. To them, anyway. He couldn’t remember ever feeling it for himself. He had simply never learned what it was to be afraid, to turn pale and cold and tremble with fear.

“Not of anything?” Master Qui-Gon had arched one eyebrow at him, stroking his beard as he always did when he was trying to hide a smile. “I’m sure there must be something.”

“No, Master,” Obi-Wan had replied with a respectful bow. “I cannot recall ever being afraid of anything in my life.”

“Well, then.” His Master had risen to his feet, looming over the slightly built boy. “I think it’s high time you learned.”


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||