IN THE BEGINNING: Part 5

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Hehehe," Mackleby gargles and spits into the washbasin, "Droids. Can you imagine being replaced by droids?" The burly man in his early twenties inspects his face in the mirror. Too many missions and harsh weather have taken its toll.

Chewing on a toothpick, you continue cleaning your weapon. You've heard this talk before, the higher ups threaten to replace people with droids. It'll never happen. Droids maybe cheap but they're not skilled warriors. No c-p-u can replace a living mind. The door to the NCO lounge slams. You move your legs briefly so your buddy, Sgt. Russell Garr, can get by. Sandy blonde hair and hazel eyes give him an innocence he has long since outgrown.

"So which one of you clowns is going on training detail?" Garr unholsters his blaster and begins inspecting it.

"Not me." Mackelby swears, "I'm staying out in the field. Leave the princess' to the little girls. No offense, chief." He remarks to you.

"Up yours Mackelby." You usually ignore the comments of your subordinate. Censoring his opinions before he speaks isn't one of his strong points. You finish scraping away the last bits of carbon deposits and begin reassembling your rifle.

Knock, Knock!

"Get that Mackelby." You direct not looking up. You love your rifle. It has saved your life and the lives of your buddies many times in battle. The connection between you and it gives you peace.

"What?" Mackelby asks behind the door.

"Message for Tech. Sgt. Kenobi."

Mackelby hangs on the door.

"Sarge?"

"Who is it from?" You attach the last section.

"Doesn't say. Visitors, diplomatic I believe." The person answers.

You shake your head, aim the rifle and shoot. The trigger and empty barrel respond perfectly.

"She ain't in." Mackelby slams the door.

"You know that could have been important." Garr eyes you warily.

"It's always important." You answer flatly.

You collect your belongings and leave. You're tired and weary. Life have has been complicated as of late and after the fiasco with Qui-Gon Jinn and Ardeth Fey, you've decided to simplify things. The first way is to not date two men at the same time, the other is to rededicate yourself to your work. You are the youngest Tech Sargent in the history of the Security Forces, you've got your own squad and division may send you to Coruscant to train at the Academy. There's so much to be concerned with and your love life doesn't have to be one of them.

//Turn right.//

Hearing a voice, you pause on the corner. The base is almost closed for the night with the exception of a few VIPs at the tavern down the road.

"I must be tired." You shake your head, "No matter, I'm going to bed anyways."

You continue heading towards the bachelor quarters.

//Turn right. Then enter building C.// The voice compels.

You find yourself complying without hesitation. You enter the Spousal Visitation Center. Your friends like to call it Conjugal Heaven. You have no idea why you're here. You have no spouse. You skirt passed the remaining visitors.

//Office 5B//

Your heavy boots echo in the empty corridor. The lights dim as you near the end of the hallway. Coming to your senses, you sense a presence. Unholstering your weapon, you cautiously stand outside the door.

//Chana enter.// the voice says sounding familiar.

You wonder, //Could it be?//

The door creaks open. Qui-Gon Jinn patiently sits at a table. His expression softens upon seeing you. The blaster clicks in place back on your belt.

"What are you doing here?" He is the last person you expect to see after the row you and he had.

"Chana?" Ardeth Fey says exiting the shadows.

You frown unable to fathom this situation. "What is going on?"

"We need to talk." Qui says quietly.

Your eyes dart between the two, "We've done all the talking that needs to be done. You were right. It was a betrayal and I'm sorry. I will never see either of you again."

Hurt flashes on the Master's face. He purses his lips. Ardeth sits across from him at the table.

//At least they are able to be in the same room again//, you note. //It's an important step.//

"I am sorry for the harsh words. I was hurt." The master says trying to mask his anguish.

You shake your head and glance out the only window in the room, "Nope. No need for apologies." To love both men, best friends, was a costly mistake.

That date made in the cantina blossomed into a wonderful romance which Qui-Gon quickly dropped after realizing he'd be unable to nurture it fully. He said, "My work will not allow me to give you the life you deserve." And he left.

You sent message after message to the temple begging to speak with him. You even set a date for a meeting. He acquiesced saying,"I can make no promises." The very day you were to meet, you saw Ardeth instead. You couldn't begin to understand why. He seemed to dislike you with every fiber of his being. After a curt greeting, he gave you Qui-Gon's final departure message. "Friendship only and best wishes."

You turn stoically and head for the door. Ardeth's hand keeps the door from opening.

"Please stay." He whispers.

Ardeth talked with you for hours on that fateful day. All that leave you saved up and took to spend with Qui-- and he never showed. Morose, melancholy, these words couldn't begin to describe your mood. Fortunately for you, Ardeth's typical jedi compassion kicked in and he stayed and talked.

Nothing happened at first. Just talking really. Dinner. Lunch. Flowers. A trip to Coruscant. A day trip to the temple on Yavin 3. Holding hands, a tiny kiss. You spent your entire leave with Ardeth. The man you discovered was no where near the droideka you'd originally met. Love was inevitable.

NO! You've got to stop this.

You pull yourself together. //I've seen my buddies lose limbs and I toughed it out. I can handle this.//

"All right speak." You lean against the wall facing them.

"We have talked." Ardeth nods to his best friend, "We acknowledge that we both love you. But we do not know, do you love us?"

You sniffle and swallow the lump in your throat. //I'm tired of crying over this.//

"We've covered this." You growl, "There's no in need picking old sores."

"Little one--," Qui begins, his face full of worry.

He calls you by your pet name. Your heart melts.

"--please. Do you?"

"Yes." You answer quietly. "And that's why I won't see either of you. I can't have you both."

It's definitely time to go. Feeling the urge to drown yourself in a bottle of whiskey, you close your eyes and sigh. The damn tavern is closed due to a private party.

Qui-Gon approaches you, "Says who?" He kisses you chastely on the lips.

Ardeth smiles weakly. His eyes search yours for approval.

"Can we try?" He finally asks.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||