HOME LEAVE: Part 8

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


For the next two days, the only times Obi-Wan and Fea'la saw one another was at meal times. Qui-Gon kept his Apprentice on a short leash - figuratively speaking, of course. He never let the boy stray further than arm's reach. When the young people did the washing up after the meal, there was always an adult in the room.

Obi-Wan also found that, to his chagrin, Qui-Gon lifted the temporary ban on his studies. Any and all spare time was now spent in his room, reading incredibly boring texts on astro-navigational charts and Galactic History. What was worse, Qui-Gon quizzed him in the evenings over what he had read and made him write reports.

Fea'la, on the other hand, was kept busy doing chores. Her mother set her to minding the younger children for hours on end. Fea'la was afraid she was going insane. Her temper was short and the only one who seemed to understand was her sister, Keena.

On the afternoon of the third day since their momentous first kiss, Fea'la was in the kitchen peeling the tough, root-like vegetables that accompanied every meal. Her youngest brother, Mul'kan, was playing with some new toy on the kitchen floor. The door to the kitchen opened and Obi-Wan came in. When he saw her standing there, he looked surprised.

"Um, hi," he began, realizing belatedly how stupid that probably sounded. "I just came to get a drink of water."

"Obi-Wan, I'm sorry I got you in trouble," she mumbled, looking away from him. "You probably hate me now, don't you?"

"Hate you? I've spent the last three days wanting nothing more than to be with you."

"Really? You mean it?"

"Of course."

The peeling knife clattered to the floor and she embraced him. She tipped back her head to kiss him again when suddenly her mother came flying into the room. Obi-Wan let go of her almost immediately, but he was not quick enough. Boni reached out and grabbed his ear in her hand.

"Ouch!"

"You quit that, young man."

Suddenly Qui-Gon was there too. He realized that at some point he had to teach the boy how to shield his mind, but right now the emotions that Qui-Gon could pick up on were beneficial - at least to him - what Obi-Wan's thoughts on the matter might be…


"Padawan, I've half a mind to put you on the first transport back to Coruscant."

Obi-Wan looked stricken. He blinked hard, squeezing back the tears that threatened to fall. He was thirteen. He wouldn't cry.

"I'm sorry, Master," he mumbled.

"Not half as sorry as you're going to be," Qui-Gon said ominously. "We talked about this, Padawan."

"Yes, Master. I know, Master."

Qui-Gon took a deep, cleansing breath.

"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear the first time."

"No, Master, I understood."

"Oh, so you chose to willfully disobey me, Padawan. That does not bode well for you either."

Obi-Wan gulped. "I just went to get a drink of water."

"That's not what it looked like to me," Qui-Gon said. His eyes blazed. "What part of 'keep your hands off my niece' didn't you understand?"

Obi-Wan's cheeks were flaming. Under normal circumstances, he would probably have held his tongue, but he'd been cooped up for nearly three days. Days in which the rest of the household had spent celebrating.

"I didn't do anything wrong!" Obi-Wan nearly shouted.

Qui-Gon's eyes narrowed dangerously. "You'd be wise to reign in that temper of yours, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

/Oh, Sith. He used my full name. This is gonna be bad./

Obi-Wan was angry. He couldn't keep in his frustration and rage any longer. "It was just one kiss, Master! And I've been held prisoner for three days! For one kiss! And it's not fair!" The boy was nearly screaming now.

Qui-Gon had to restrain himself to keep from backhanding his Apprentice. He wanted to, oh Sith, he wanted to. But he clenched his hands and kept them at his sides. He took a deep cleansing breath and counted to ten. And then to twenty. And then to a hundred. When he felt he could control his emotions he put his hand to his forehead. Why? Why did this bother him? It was just a kiss after all. Was he getting old?

Making a decision, Qui-Gon turned to his Padawan. "Follow me, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan looked confused, but did was he was bidden. The Jedi Master led the way out to the barn. A couple of vaguely bovine-looking animals were in the stalls, staring out with their customary vapid expressions. Qui-Gon held out a shovel to his Apprentice. Obi-Wan stared at him, appalled.

"Go to, Obi-Wan. I want this place cleaned out by the time I return."

"Master, you've got to be kidding."

"Absolutely not, Padawan. The muck heap is in the back and there is a trundle-cart behind that wall."

Obi-Wan blinked. He stared incredulously at his Master. "You're serious, aren't you?"

"I thought I made that abundantly clear."

Obi-Wan winced. "Alright," he grumbled, petulantly, snatching the shovel from Qui-Gon's outstretched hand irritably.

The Jedi Master ignored his rudeness. Instead, he nodded curtly to the young man and, turning on a booted heel, strode out of the barn.


As Qui-Gon strode into the kitchen, he found Boni giving Fea'la a dressing down.

"What will everyone think of you, hm? You've been flirting outrageously with that boy and then you went and kissed him. Apparently your father's lecture and some extra chores weren't enough. What am I going to do with you, Fea'la? Should I ship you off to a religious order? Or maybe an all-girls' school?"

"Mama, your overreacting," Fea'la objected.

"Don't talk back to me, girly. You're in enough trouble already."

"I wasn't talking back."

Qui-Gon decided the proceedings had gone far enough. He interrupted Boni before should could respond to Fea'la's comment.

"Boni, I think maybe I should have a word with Fea'la. If I may?"

Boni looked slightly surprised. She regarded her brother-in-law. Her brow furrowed and for a moment Qui-Gon was half-afraid that she would take out her ire on him. Boni blinked. "Okay," she said slowly, as if she were concerned that Qui-Gon was going to further corrupt her daughter.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon replied with the ease of long years in the diplomatic service. He took his niece's elbow and led her out of the kitchen to his own room. He sat her down on the edge of his sleep-couch.

"Fea'la, tell me something," he began.

"Anything, Uncle."

"Do you truly care for Obi-Wan? Or is it the desperation of a lack of options? Or is it merely rebellion?"

"I truly care for him, Uncle. At least, I think I do," she said, as honestly as possible.

Qui-Gon sighed. This made it difficult. Teenage rebellion was something he understood. Affection, on the other hand, was something that couldn't be explained as easily.

"I'm sorry I've ruined your holiday, Uncle. I didn't mean to," she said, her eyes beginning to tear up.

"You haven't ruined it, child. You've just made it interesting." He smiled at her.

"So you're not mad at me?"

"No, not mad. Irritated, yes. Surprised, yes. But angry? No, not angry."

She looked triumphant. "I told him you didn't get angry."

"You told Obi-Wan I didn't get angry?"

"Yes," she replied.

Qui-Gon chuckled softly. "What did he say to that?"

"Nothing. He kinda looked at me funny though."

"I'll bet he did."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||