HOME LEAVE: Part 5

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The second morning of Alban Arthan dawned with quiet splendor, the sun reflecting off the new-fallen snow. Qui-Gon rose early, sparing a quick glance to make sure Obi-Wan was still asleep. He stretched and ran quickly through some light warm-up exercises. The Jedi Master dressed quietly, and slipped out to get some tea.

When Obi-Wan woke, he was disoriented. Hadn't he fallen asleep on the floor? He reached out, calling mentally for his Master, and found him in the kitchen. Obi-Wan noticed he was still in his clothes from the day before and he changed into a clean tunic and trousers before joining Qui-Gon.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon began, "Have you ever heard of using the Force to find someone's true name?"

"No, Master. Fea'la told me that Keena wants you to find a name for her baby. I have no idea how to even go about looking for one." A sudden thought struck Obi-Wan, and he added, "What about using the rock?"

Qui-Gon's eyes widened slightly. "An excellent idea, Padawan. May I see it?"

Obi-Wan handed over the small river stone. Qui-Gon took it in his palm, fitting in into the hollow of his hand. He contemplated it, looking at the orange-colored streaks.

"Come with me, Padawan."

Obi-Wan looked slightly startled, but rose and followed his Master down the hall. When they arrived at Keena's bedchamber, Qui-Gon knocked softly. Keena's husband, Nun'ken opened the door.

"Hullo, Qui-Gon. Please come in."

The Jedi Master nodded to his Padawan. "This is my Apprentice, Obi-Wan. I don't think you've had a chance to meet him yet."

"Be welcome, Obi-Wan."

"Thank you, sir."

They walked over to the bed where Keena lay, the baby sleeping in her arms.

"Hullo, Uncle. This must be your Apprentice. Fea'la was telling me about him last night."

Obi-Wan blushed at the mention of Fea'la, but managed to nod.

"Uncle, can you find my baby's true name?"

"I'm about to try. May I see him?"

Keena passed the baby over. Qui-Gon took him and held the sleeping child with ultimate care. Obi-Wan looked over Qui-Gon's arm at the little boy. He'd never seen a child this young. Most of the one's that were in the crčche at the Temple came at six months. Keena's baby was less than a week old.

"He's so tiny," he breathed in something akin to awe.

Qui-Gon smiled faintly. "That he is, Padawan. But he shall grow. Now, place the river stone on his head, and be gentle."

Obi-Wan took the river stone from his Master, and laid it carefully on the sleeping boy's forehead. Qui-Gon drew in a deep breath, and Obi-Wan, for all his lack of connection to the Living Force, felt the power as well. The very air about them seemed to hum with energy. Even Keena and Nun'ken could feel some of it, and they looked slightly startled and confused.

"What…what's happening, Uncle Qui-Gon?" Keena asked. "Is my baby doing that?"

But Qui-Gon couldn't answer; his attention was riveted on the infant. Obi-Wan didn't know the answer, so he couldn't help her.

"Ti-kan."

"Master?" Obi-Wan looked at Qui-Gon in confusion.

"Remove the stone, Padawan," Qui-Gon nearly gasped.

Obi-Wan was startled into instant obedience. Once the stone was back in his tunic pocket, the energy level in the room returned to normal. Qui-Gon sat down on the edge of the bed, his features showing plainly the exhaustion he was feeling. He handed the baby back to its mother.

"Padawan, tell me something."

"Yes, Master."

"Did I say anything just now?"

"Yes, Master. You said 'Ti-kan' and then you told me to take off the stone."

Qui-Gon nodded, still short of breath, but pleased. "Then you have your answer, Keena. The baby's name is to be Ti-kan."

Keena smiled. She looked down at the still sleeping child and mouthed the word, getting used to saying it.

Nun'ken, however, was staring at Qui-Gon in something of a cross between awe and panic. His eyes were very wide. "What did you just do, Master Jedi?"

"To be completely honest, Nun'ken, I'm not sure. The stone is from the River of Light not far from here. Tell me, was the baby tested for midiclorians as soon as he was born?"

"Yes, of course. But the reading was normal."

Qui-Gon nodded thoughtfully.

"Master," Obi-Wan began, "Why…I mean, how…"

"I've no idea, Padawan. Perhaps it is the pure innocence that a newborn child has; perhaps it is a reaction of the stone to being home again. I cannot tell you why the reaction was so intense. It was not an unpleasant experience, but neither was it one I wish to repeat any time soon."

"What did it feel like, Master?"

"It felt as though the answers to all the mysteries of the universe were within my grasp. It felt as though I had the power to move mountains, create whole new worlds. I felt as if I could speak life into something by merely saying 'Be' and it was beyond words. I was not meant to wield such power, Padawan, but nevertheless I felt it pulling at me."

Obi-Wan's jaw dropped at his Master's words. "But it wasn't the Dark side?" He was confused.

"No, Padawan, it was not. The power of the Light can tempt as well."

Obi-Wan's brow furrowed. Qui-Gon smiled faintly and he reached out and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Think not on this, Padawan. It is beyond mortal comprehension. We have other things to attend to at present - like the Alban Arthan ritual." He turned then, looking at Keena and her husband questioningly.

"We will join you soon," Nun'ken said, in answer to the Jedi's unspoken question.

Qui-Gon nodded, and with Obi-Wan trailing behind him, left the room.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||