HOME LEAVE: Part 12

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Qui-Gon was jolted from his slumber by the knowledge that his Padawan was in trouble. The emotion was strong. It could only mean that Obi-Wan was close by. Sitting up, the Jedi Master took stock of his surroundings.

Fea'la and her father, Hal, were snuggled together for warmth to Qui-Gon's left. Brakkan, his brother-in-law, was to his right. He shook Hal gently.

"Wake up, Hal. There's something wrong. Obi-Wan's in trouble. He's close by, I can feel it."

Fea'la sat up too, rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Uncle?"

"Yes, child?"

"Is Obi-Wan gonna be okay?"

Qui-Gon swallowed. "I hope so," he replied.


Meanwhile, Obi-Wan was standing with his back to a tree. He was still wrapped in the blanket. The satchel he'd been using for a pillow was on the ground at his feet. There was some sort of ursine animal sniffing around the indentation his body had left in the snow.

/Sith, but that thing has big teeth!/

Obi-Wan was frightened. There was no use kidding himself that he wasn't. He was wishing that he hadn't left his lightsabre behind. At least then he might have had a chance. His survival training hadn't included fighting off wild animals with one's bare hands. He made a mental note to mention that to Master Yoda if he made it back to the Temple alive.

The ursine creature snuffled and sniffled its way closer to Obi-Wan. In idiocy born of desperation, he began making shooing noises.

"Shoo, go away. Leave me alone."

In response the animal cocked its head and looked up at him. It growled. Obi-Wan shut up. He licked his lips nervously. He reached out to the Force, trying to send calming waves towards the animal. But his own aura was so panicked that he was unable to do anything.


Crawling out of the tent, Qui-Gon realized with some dismay that it was still very dark. The twin moons had not yet risen and the snow obliterated all landmarks.

Fea'la stood beside him, staring out across the landscape. He heard her swallow nervously. He wanted to reach out to reassure her, but he could not.

Qui-Gon felt a ripple in the Force that he knew could only come from Obi-Wan. It was so faint it was almost a whimper. But at least it gave him a direction to work with. Hauling one of the speeder bikes out from under the tarp, he clambered on board. Fea'la crawled up behind him.

"No, Fea'la. You should stay here."

She shook her head violently. "No. I'm coming. He's important to me too."

Qui-Gon grinned at her and gunned the engine. They set off, daring Hal and Brakkan to keep up.

As if on cue, the twin moons arched over the horizon as Qui-Gon neared the stand of trees where Obi-Wan was camped. The moonlight sparkled brilliantly over the snow, giving the entire area an eerie blue glow.


Every nerve in Obi-Wan's body was screaming at him to run, but something told him this animal liked moving targets. A sound approaching a sob was torn from his throat.


Qui-Gon heard the tortured sound from where he sat on the speeder bike. With a gruff, "Stay here," to Fea'la, he jumped off. The Jedi Master ignited his lightsabre, its green glow contributing to the eerie lighting.

He ran towards the stand of trees. He could see Obi-Wan's dimly outlined form against the tree. Standing before the young man was a wild animal he remembered from his own youth. The ursine creature was growling deep in its throat and it was making swiping movements at Obi-Wan with a well-clawed paw.

Qui-Gon projected the image of a small rodent into its mind. The animal sat back on its haunches, obviously confused. It was but the work of a moment, and Qui-Gon convinced the beast that it should go chase smaller creatures in the forest.

The Jedi Master barely had time to extinguish his lightsabre before Obi-Wan was flying into his arms, sobbing openly.

"I'm sorry, Master. Won't ever, ever again." At least, that's what Qui-Gon thought he said. The boy's face was buried in his tunic.

Qui-Gon patted his back awkwardly. "Sshh, Padawan, you're safe now."

Obi-Wan pulled back. "Are you mad at me?"

Qui-Gon flinched at that. "Padawan, it is I that owe you the apology. I realize that I have been unreasonable about you and Fea'la."

At the mention of her name, the young girl came running into the clearing. She walked straight up to Obi-Wan. She looked angry, dark eyes flashing and braids streaming out behind her. Without a word, she pulled back her arm and slapped Obi-Wan across the face as hard as she could.

Obi-Wan staggered. He looked absolutely bewildered. Qui-Gon's face betrayed his shock too.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, Obi-Wan Kenobi." With that, she flung herself at him and kissed him soundly on the mouth.

Obi-Wan's eyes flew wide open in shock. Qui-Gon shook with silent laughter.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||