HOME LEAVE: Part 10

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com

Author's Notes: Thanks to Suze for the plot twist!



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


As Obi-Wan stood in his room on the morning of their last day, he stretched and prepared to put on his clothes. He looked around. Qui-Gon was still asleep.

/That's a first,/ Obi-Wan thought. /Usually he's up way earlier than me./

As he dressed, Obi-Wan thought back over the events of the last two weeks. The visit with his own family had been wonderful and the first couple of days at Qui-Gon's Mother's farm had been amazing. But after Qui-Gon had caught his niece Fea'la, and Obi-Wan kissing in the barn, the Padawan had not had a single minute to himself.

A sudden thought struck Obi-Wan. /Does he object that I was kissing a girl in general, or that it was his niece?/ He scowled. Qui-Gon's admonishment earlier reverberated in his mind. The Jedi Master had, in a fury, snarled, "What part of 'keep your hands of my niece' didn't you understand?" /Does he think I'm not good enough to be a part his family?/Obi-Wan wondered, silently.

Obi-Wan had had a hard time getting Qui-Gon to accept him as his Padawan. Even after he'd saved the Jedi Master's life on more than one occasion. He sighed dejectedly. Fears and doubts surrounded him.

/Maybe he doesn't want me anymore./ His lower lip trembled. He squeezed his eyes shut tightly.

Tired of feeling sorry for himself, Obi-Wan decided to do something about it. He finished dressing and tossed his thermal cape and a couple of blankets into his satchel. Leaving his lightsabre and the rock, he scribbled a hasty note to his Master and, opening the latch on the window, threw a leg over the sill. It was but the work of a few moments, and he was gone.


Qui-Gon shivered. A part of his sleep-soaked mind wondered vaguely why it was so cold, but the rest of him objected violently to waking up and he slept on. The banging of the window frame jolted him from his slumber. He sat up, blinking. The window was open, which explained the cold. A light fall of snow was on the floor.

Scowling he rose and went to shut it. He gasped in surprise as he sleep-warmed bare feet came in contact with the snow.

/Sith, but that's cold./

Noticing his Padawan was not in his bed, he called out, "Obi-Wan? Are you in the bathroom?"

No answer.

"Padawan?" He poked his head into the hallway looking to the left and right. When his gaze fell upon Fea'la's door, he frowned. Two short strides and he was at her door. He knocked. No answer.

With a frown, he opened the door. Fea'la was still in bed, and she yelped in surprise as he entered.

"Uncle! What's wrong?"

"Do you know where Obi-Wan is?"

She shook her head.

"Fea'la if you know, you must tell me," said Qui-Gon. "Did he say anything to you yesterday?"

"No, Uncle, he said nothing. Don't you have a bond or something with Obi-Wan?"

Qui-Gon frowned. "It's not fully formed yet," he explained. "He hasn't been my Apprentice for long enough."

"Oh," she answered, obviously confused. "But you said you found us in the barn with it."

"I can feel emotions and sensations from Obi-Wan most of the time. But not always. Especially not if he's far away…" He trailed off, fighting a sensation of panic.

Qui-Gon swore. Fea'la's eyes went very wide and she giggled. "Sorry," Qui-Gon said winking at her. "Don't tell your Grandmother."

Fea'la followed Qui-Gon back to his room, wrapped in the comforter off her bed. Her nightdress was long and white and she'd pulled a pair of thick stockings on over her bare feet.

"Here, Uncle, look at this," Fea'la said, holding up a piece of paper that was weighted on the table with a rock.

As Qui-Gon read the note, Fea'la saw the color drain from his face. He closed his eyes for a long minute. Fea'la was half-afraid he was going to faint. Without a word, he handed her the note and she read:

Master, I'm sorry that you don't think I'm good enough to be with your niece. I guess that I'm not good enough to be a part of your family. I guess that means I'm not good enough to be your Padawan either. I'm leaving my lightsabre and the rock, since it was my Padawan-gift.

-O.K.

"He's gone," Fea'la said, stunned. Qui-Gon nodded. He picked up the rock and looked at it, cocking his head to one side as if seeking answers within the stone itself. With a sigh, he slipped it into his tunic pocket.

He turned to her, eyes blazing with a fury he could not express. /How could I have been so blind? First Xanatos and now Obi-Wan! Damn it all!/

"Fea'la, go get dressed. Get your father. We're going hunting."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||