THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Part 3

by:  Elaine Mc
Feedback to:  elaine_mc@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Qui-Gon and Mace waited for their fate to be determined. Before them, Master Yoda was pacing-- never a good sign. The tip of his walking stick clicked with each step, in perfect rhythm. Under ordinary circumstances, this could be amusing. Under the current circumstances, the tap-tap-tap was disturbing.

At last-- just when Qui-Gon was ready to scream-- he turned to look at them both. "At a loss for words, I am." Of course, he wasn't. The only reason Jedi never said "I told you so", is that it was too short. "Jedi, you are. Make a good example for the children, you should."

"Yes, Master Yoda."

"Teach them to be aware of their surroundings, you should. Fall down hills, you should not."

"No, Master Yoda."

"Introduce them to nature, you should. Adopt carnivorous animals, you should not."

"No, Master Yoda."

"Encourage their imagination, you should. Terrify them with stories, you should not."

"No, Master Yoda."

"Came out to see how you were doing. An error in judgment, that was." Yoda took a deep breath and looked at them. Looked away. Paced some more. Tap-tap-tap. He turned to them both. "Talk to you now, I cannot. Go to your quarters. Meditate."

The two younger men paused.

"Go. Now."

Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. This fundamental law was proven, as both men tried to exit the chamber at the same moment. A brief struggle ensued, which Mace won [barely].

Safely in the hall, the friends were uncharacteristically subdued. Other Masters gave them a wide berth as they passed. It was clear that word of their little adventure had spread through the Temple; the look on each the face of each passer-by said, as clearly as words, "Sucks to be you guys."

"You realise, we're never living this down," Mace said, at last.

"I'm just glad I'm getting a chance to live through it," Qui-Gon said.

"It wasn't that bad."

"Like Sith, it wasn't."

"Admit it. Some of it was fun."

Qui-Gon didn't bother to answer.

Mace sighed, then said, "You know, they're going to do a nature trip to Endor soon. I was thinking--"

"Don't."

"Don't what?"

"Don't think. Not ever again."

"Someone's grumpy."

"Mace...."

"All right, all right. No more teasing."

They walked a few more metres.

"Qui-Gon?"

"What?"

"You know, you looked really cute, doing that little dance."

Qui-Gon chased him all the way back to his quarters.


The Jedi's fist made the door shake in its housing. "Windu! You can't hide in there forever, you son of a space slug! Come out here, so I can kick your--"

"Master Qui-Gon?"

Qui-Gon stopped, and looked down. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lesandre. What a surprise.

"Yes, children?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, just fine. I was just... going to say good night to Master Mace," he said. Well, he wasn't stretching the truth too much.

"Okay. Well... we just wanted to say thanks. It was a lot of fun," Obi-Wan said.

Lesandre nodded. "I've never been on such a neat camping trip before."

"I'm glad it was fun. Now, both of you need to be on your way to your quarters. I'm going to mine, myself," he added, turning reluctantly from Windu's door.

As they walked down the hall, Obi-Wan was watching him closely. "Sir?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

"Did you get your nose broken when you were a padawan?"

"As a matter of fact, yes, I did."

"Was Master Mace there when it happened?"

"Yes, he was."

Obi-Wan nodded. "I kind of thought so. Bye, Master Qui-Gon."

"Good-bye." He watched the youngsters turn down the corridor that would take them to the children's quarters. For a moment, he considered renewing his assault on Mace's door, then changed his mind. Time enough for his revenge later.

A long, hot shower later and a cup of tea later, Qui-Gon collapsed into bed. Once again, he was covered with bruises. Once again, his pride had taken quite a beating. But... taken all in all, it had been a pretty good trip.

He dialled down the lights, and settled in for a sound night's sleep. In the corner, the tarirse snored.

*Swamp monster!*

*Go to sleep, Windu.*

*I am, I am. Good night.*

*Mmph. 'Night.*


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||