FORBIDDEN: Part 4

by:  Jenn
Feedback to:  ipomea@email.msn.com

Author's Notes:  Hey people I warned you that it was long. The romance is coming though.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


'Hold close to your training, young Jedi. Remember the utterances of your Master. It is only in the time of control that light can overcome darkness. For darkness is strong, but it cannot exist without the light. Balance must be found and maintained; it is our plight and our purpose.'

- Journal of Obi-Wan Kenobi.


The gleam of the Republican cruiser reflected the lights of the planet-city of Corsucant, as it landed on the platform that was adjacent to the Jedi Council building. The floating platform was sturdy, yet seemed graceful in its holding pattern above the buildings. On the rounded form, several senators from the Great Republic Senate stood in quiet gathering. They were eagerly awaiting the disembarkation of the passengers from the ship and milled around orderly while waiting their time. At the fore of the pack stood senator Palpatine of Naboo with the Supreme Chancellor, Valorum. The younger senator turned to the Chancellor with a slight gleam in his blue eyes. "It was insightful for you to send these two Jedi Knights to aid in my planet’s struggle, sir, and well appreciated, I’m sure."

Valorum returned the phrase with a carefully rehearsed smile. "Thank yous are not necessary, Senator. But I am glad that they are returning with news of few causalities and losses on both sides. War is never a welcome outcome. The Trade Federation is moving to abolish Nute Gurney’s name from their esteemed list of Viceroys and will make amends to the Naboo." He nodded toward the lowering ramp from the ship. "I only hope that they learn from this occurrence and will cease to be involved in mixes with your people."

"And I also, Chancellor." The Senator answered with a slight nod. He turned to face the ship as two figures dressed in traditional ceremonial Jedi uniforms moved down the ramp. The elder, taller of the two men moved slightly in front of the younger, a status that many in the gathering knew to be that of a Jedi Master. Upon reaching the Chancellor, the two men bowed lowly in deference to their superior.

"Supreme Chancellor, sir." Qui-Gon stated, his head lowered. The man he addressed laid a hand on the Jedi Master to allow him to rise. "Rise, Qui-Gon."

"Valorum." Qui-Gon nodded to his friend. "Senator Palpatine. We bring news that the dispute over the sovereignty of Naboo has been settled."

"We know, sire." Palpatine nodded towards the knight. "Governor Sio Biddle has contacted us with the news. But he says that another occurrence has happened in relation to Naboo that will involve the Jedi Council. This has worried us greatly: what is the problem?"

Qui-Gon hung his head and motioned toward the ramp of the ship. Obi-Wan had moved back toward the ship to retrieve the suddenly shy young queen. Palpatine’s eyes widened in recognition of the ruler of his people and took in her appearance. Gone were her gowns and theatrical hairpieces, and in their place stood a young girl clad in black and blue roughened material that he recognized from her times of training with her father. "Padme Nadierre…"

"I must confer with the Council on a matter of a life-debt, Chancellor." Qui-Gon stated solemnly. "If I could be excused from my duties for a short time."

"Take the time you need, old friend." The Chancellor recovered his shock at the appearance of the young queen quickly. "By all means…. straighten this mess out."

The Council had gathered as summoned by Mace Windu. They were seated in form fitting chairs surrounding the crest of the Jedi etched in the floor. Each of the members of the Council of twelve had served the order with strength and loyalty for many years, slowly earning their rights to sit in those very chairs. Most of the inner rim planets were represented, and a few of the outer rim also. Yoda and Mace Windu sat in front of the towering windows of the room, atop of the Jedi building; the heavy day traffic of Corsucant visible behind them. To be called in front of the council was a foreboding experience for any Jedi, one that was not looked forward to. It was, however, never to be ignored, either. The Council served to channel the rulings of the senate into action, so long as it did not conflict with the Jedi code. They also sat in supreme authority over the problems, disputes and dealings of the order of ten thousand Jedi. Their word was final, whether it be for the conference of the title of Jedi Master, the acceptance of a member for training, or for problems in which several Jedi would find themselves. Their word was law.

Mace Windu sat upon a chair, his cloak gathered around him. He was a handsome man with dark skin, and baldhead. He was nearing his sixtieth season, but still radiated an aura of control and power. He was one of the most prolific of the Master’s having trained several Padawan to join the ranks of the order and was looked upon fondly by those he had trained. Yoda, another Jedi Master, was of an age only the Force knew. He had been around for nearly 800 years in the order and still his greenish pallor and wisps of hair held a feeling of youth. Both Masters knew of the problem at hand and were readying for the arrival of the problem Jedi.

The door at the side of the chamber opened slowly to reveal Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and a young girl, barely out of childhood. The trio moved into the room, to stand on the crest and lowered themselves to their knees. Padme sighed as the coldness of the marble from Corellia touched her knees; it was cold and slippery, giving no warmth or support. Mace Windu rose fro m his chair to approach the girl and laid his hand on her shoulder. "Padme." He said softly.

"Master Windu." She answered, lowly but her voice carried strength and respect. "It is a pleasure to lay my eyes on you again, sir."

"And I, you, young one." He helped the girl to her feet, motioning the other two attending Jedi to rise also. "I must ask after your sisters."

"They are well, Master, as well as to be expected." Padme answered, her eyes lowered in respect. "We have done what we must these last four years."

"And done well with your father’s teachings, I suspect, Padme. Come raise your eyes and look upon me as a friend of your father’s. You have his title, stand tall here." Mace nodded towards the council. "They mean you no harm."

"With respect, Master, I must show deference. Regardless of my title or my station, sir, I am not a Jedi Master and should show humility here." A slight smile graced her full lips as she stared at the crest on the floor. "If I remember only one thing of my father’s teachings, it is to be humble in the presence of his old master."

Mace chuckled, squeezing the girl’s shoulder firmly. "You remember then, the time that I dealt with your father’s spirited answers."

"Clearly, Master, quite clearly and I wish not to have the same fate befall me."

A slight humph was heard from Yoda, who watched these proceedings with interest. "Learn quickly, young Naboodian. Save you one day it might. Master Windu, proceed we must."

The elder man nodded his head slightly and moved back to his chair. Motioning to the trio to move forward so that they were in the center of the crest on the floor. "Very well, Qui-Gon, young Jedi, we have reviewed the tapes that you sent from Naboo, but we have questions that must be answered before a answer is given."

"Yes, Master." Qui-Gon stated, moving his hands to clasp in front of his waist. "What are the questions?"

Yoda moved his clawed hand to point at the Jedi. "State you must, your mission."

"We were to proceed to the Naboo system to intervene in the escalating problem over its sovereignty and to return peace in any way possible under the restriction of the Creed." Qui-Gon answered tonelessly.

"Is this how you understood it, young Padawan?" Mace turned to Obi-Wan, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, Master, it is." Obi-Wan opened his arms in a gester of understanding.

"Young Padme Amidala, did these Jedi fulfill their mission?" Another member of the council sounded.

"Yes, they did, Master. Quite successfully." The queen turned her eyes down in respect.

"And of the act that you performed for the Queen, Qui-Gon, how do you answer for that?" Mace nodded at the queen.

"In respect to the code, Master, a Jedi cannot knowingly cause or allow harm to another around him, unless battle deems otherwise. This was a circumstance that, if it had occurred, would have caused harm to Amidala. I could not allow that to happen; it is in direct contradiction with the code." Qui-Gon moved his hands to his waist.

"Know the code, you do, young Qui-Gon." Answered Yoda, who turned to look at Mace with his large eyes.

"He knows the code and follows to the best of his ability." Another Jedi called out in support of Jinn. Obi-Wan nodded in support also, but refrained from speaking.

"Ah, yes, Qui-Gon, you have always strove to live to the code, have you not?" Mace leaned back in his chair. With a turn of his head, he made eye contact with the rest of the council. As one, the council laid their left hands on the arms of their chairs. Yoda watched the gathering with mild surprise, but recovered quickly. He turned to Mace and nodded his assention. Mace sighed and kept his head lowered. "It is done, Qui-Gon."

"The decision is made then." Qui-Gon sighed, lowering his stance. "Return the queen to her planet?"

"Nay."

Silence descended on the council, as both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon opened their mouths in shock. "Nay?" whispered Qui-Gon.

"Yes, young Jedi. The answer is nay. This life-debt is indeed owed."

"But…."

"No arguments, you give." Yoda admonished Qui-Gon, who immediately lowered his eyes. "Listen to Windu, you must."

Mace sighed and rose to approach Jinn. He stopped within two meters of the other man and lowered his hands around Padme's shoulders. "Your action was well received, Qui-Gon, both from the view of this council and from the members of the council on Naboo. You acted in accordance with the creed, however, it was the method by which you followed through that has caused the problem."

Silence blanketed the room as Qui-Gon raised his eyes to Mace. " I don’t…"

"A flick of your wrist, Qui-Gon, a throw of your sabre, these were acceptable actions. To use your power with the Force to deflect the blow from the queen, that would have been the method preferred. Rather you shielded her with your body. This was not the action of a Jedi knight, Qui-Gon, but rather a man."

"It should matter not…" Obi-Wan began, before his master’s hand landed in a vice grip on his arm.

"Quiet." Qui-Gon hissed, admonishing his student. "A point they have made here, Obi-Wan."

Mace nodded, squeezing the shoulders of the young queen, "Personally, Qui-Gon, I thank you for your action. The daughter of my student was saved because of it, but as a council member, I cannot vote against the tide. I agree. Your action was controlled not by the Force. And as such, the action is not under the jurisdiction of this council. The life-debt remains."

Padme lowered her eyes to the floor and then raised them to the tall Jedi in front of her who was swallowing convulsively. Qui-Gon and Padme’s eyes met for a scant second. "Then I must find her a place here on Corsucant to remain during my missions."

"That is impossible." The tall member from the back of the chamber called out. "Padme is Naboodian. Their culture states that she must remain with you, under your guidance. Until she is of legal age, she must remain your companion. Upon her 21 season anniversary a decision can be made as is outlined in the Sacred Code of Naboo."

Qui-Gon lowered his head with defeat. Mace’s soft voice carried to his ears. "Qui-Gon, old friend…"

"Our missions are dangerous at times, Master." Qui-Gon whispered in return. "I cannot guarrantee her safety, or her return, any more than I can guarantee my own."

"Trained, she is." Yoda answered, "Powerful she is. Knowledge she has for one so young. Learn she will to help herself. Foreseen is, this, young Jedi, foreseen it is. Padme will follow you."

Padme sighed deeply and shivered in Mace’s hand grip. She turned to Qui-Gon, still standing proud in front of the council of his peers. "Jedi, it appears that I have found a new direction in my life."

"That you have, young Padme, that you have." Qui-Gon sighed and frowned at Mace. "All right, then, in accordance with the council, I will take Padme Amidala as a companion. But train her, I must be allowed to do."

"You and your Padawan, young Kenobi, will see that she learns the ways of the Jedi. But be mindful of her powers, Jinn. Train her as you see fit, but a full Jedi, she must never be." Mace turned Padme and kissed her on the forehead. "It is a promise that I made your father, Padme, and one that I cannot break. Learn to save yourself, but never take the trials." He turned to Qui-Gon, "she is entrusted to you, Jinn. Be mindful of your teachings and our admonishments. Be mindful of the living Force, Jedi. Go and prepare for your next mission."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||