FORBIDDEN: Part 11

by:  Jenn
Feedback to:  ipomea@email.msn.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


A lone sleek vessel gently nudged the top of the trees and settled in amongst their shadows with little fanfare. It was Alderaani in origin, carrying few weapons and three passengers. It’s silver exterior was quickly covered by the dense foliage and the persons within drew a deep breath of relief. Waterfalls could be seen from the landing site, alerting that the city of Theeds was close at hand. Obi-Wan Kenobi was the first being to emerge from the cockpit, reaching back into its depths to pull Padme out on the surrounding metal cage. Qui-Gon Jinn followed behind the girl, rising to stretch his long legs. A quick terse comment was shared by the elder Jedi to his apprentice commenting on the ease and the wellness of position for the landing. The girl nodded and jumped to the ground, followed quickly by the co-travelers.

“Theeds is twenty minutes to the east.” She stated, swinging a pack on her back. Her clothing had been quickly changed before departure from Alderaan. In place of the practice clothing, she wore a light tan tunic over blue pants, belted with a man’s belt that was knotted and fell to her knees. Attached to the belt were several utilitarian items and her sabre. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had fully dressed in their Jedi tunics and cloaks, and had their sabres clipped to their belts. The two men nodded to each other, clasping hands for a moment and then parted. The Master embraced Padme before he moved off into the dark damp of the surrounding forest. Obi-Wan grabbed the girl’s arm and motioned the way to the east. Within minutes, the two parties were a kilometer from each other.

“I hope that he finds the other Jedi quickly.” Padme whispered, easily keeping pace with Kenobi as he rocketed through the forest.

“He will.” Obi-Wan answered, “He has the easy mission, I might add. We will have our hands full.”

“You mean, Ben,” Padme shot back as branches flew over her head, “ that I will have my hands full, you are simply to keep my back covered while I convince the council against Palpatine.”

“An easy job that is, Padme. What with you being a powerful speaker and all.” Obi-Wan smiled suddenly, grabbing her arm. “You will have them wrapped around your finger in moments I bet.”

“Right.” Padme answered none too happy. “But at least I have the hologram message from Bail if they don’t believe me. There might be hope in that. Remember, I have been gone for almost two seasons.” She was silent as they continued on their way, the forest growing less dense with the passing time. “It will be good again to see my sisters and Sio.”

Obi-Wan smiled as the woods came to a sudden end. Ahead was a small waterfall, light blue and sparkling in the sunlight. The houses and buildings of the capital city of Theeds on Naboo, touched by the sun held a light, yet homely hue of gray, brown and pink mixed together. “Let us hope that they listen quickly, young diplomat, or we will have serious problems.” He nodded towards the street below. “Let’s get moving.”

Qui-Gon pummeled through the brush at a tremendous speed, leaving very little tracks behind him. Branches and leaves were swept aside easily and smoothly, not detracting from his vision in the dim light of the deep forest. It was good that he had been able to reach Windu and inform him that speed and hiding was in order. The full story had not been told but enough that the need for cloaking was given. It would be less than a kiloparsec, he gathered, before he was to the place that they had taken as a hideaway.

Before he could travel more than twenty parsecs to the southwest, his trek was stopped by the sound of a twig breaking to his left. He stopped quickly, drawing his lightsabre, prepared for battle. From the fog, however, came two Jedi. One was very young, maybe in his late teens and of Corellian descent. The other was Mace Windu. Both were moving at a fair clip. With just a glance of recognition, Qui-Gon replaced his sabre and called lightly to the two.

Mace drew up and stopped quickly, turning to meet his friend. “Qui-Gon. Thank the Maker.”

“By the Force.” The younger Jedi answered, moving to grasp the elder Jedi’s hand. “Master Jinn.”

“Hello, Farre, Mace.” Qui-Gon nodded, his eyes sweeping behind the men. “Is there trouble? I don’t sense anything.”

“None, friend.” Mace answered, sweeping his cloak to reveal a comlink. He activated it quickly and nodded behind him. Within seconds, Yoda, two other council members and one student emerged from the thicket to race toward them. Yoda was strapped to the back of one of the younger members of the pack. Qui-Gon nodded in greeting and turned back to Mace.

“Where are you heading?” Qui-Gon was quick to ask. “Why are you not hiding?”

“In return, young Qui-Gon, why is your Padawan and charge not with you?” Mace asked, grasping his friend’s arm and swinging him around back the way he had originally come.

“It was decided that we should separate. Padme and Obi-Wan were to go to Theeds to convince the council of the need to remove Palpatine from his position as Senator and I was to go and find you and bring you back to Theeds so that a plan could be developed. I sent Obi-Wan with Padme in case of trouble.”

“I only hope that you have taught your Padawan well.” Answered one of the council members, drawing to remove his sabre as he turned to begin walking. “For it is into a trap that you have sent them.”

Qui-Gon stopped momentarily and sighed. “One or the other, if not the both of them will be able to tell that then. Neither one of them is without the facilities from determining a trap. What kind of trouble…”

Windu grabbed his arm and hauled him back toward the city. “Yoda has foreseen the arrival of the Sith warriors. They will mean to remove all problems and questions concerning Palpatine’s right to office and all problems from the home front. The fact that Padme and Obi-Wan are both very talented with the Force will only serve to arouse their blood lust. We must hurry. We saw your ship as it landed; we can only guess that if the Sith are indeed here, they must have seen it also.”

Qui-Gon shut his eyes for a moment, and turned to run after his friend. “Then a plan must be formulated now as to where we go when we return. Naboo is not safe.”

“No, “ Mace answered as he moved a branch from in front of his face.

“No, safe it is not, Master Qui-Gon,” Yoda sounded. “A planet it must be though. Not friendly to the Republic, it must be. Communications to reach the others we must have.”

“Padme Amidala has suggested Tatoonine.” Qui-Gon answered, running ahead with Mace as the others fought to keep up. “She states that it is not considered a true member of the Republic, joining in only when it suits them. It is a desert planet, two suns and the terrain is only for the strong at heart. It is also on the very furthest reaches of the galaxy axial arm. Bail Organa has added that it is the best place as any. Plenty of space ports, the civilization that it has is compact and leaves large stretches of the planet unsettled.”

“Controlled by the Hutts, it is” answered Farre, grimacing. “Not very good company we would keep.”

“If Organa mentions its merits, then good it must be.” Answered Yoda, holding the shoulder of the student he rode. “I have seen two suns. Tatoonine it is.”

Mace grimaced and sighed as he drew on more speed. “Another planet it might be for us, but unless we get to Theeds and get transportation, it will be a very short trip.”

“And Obi-Wan and Padme?” Qui-Gon asked matching his friend pace for pace.

“If found they are, then with us they come.” Yoda stated. “Found and gathered must all Jedi be. Young Amidala included.”

Obi-Wan drew up inside the Grand House, holding his younger friend’s hand. Something was not right, the interior of the house was silent. Almost too silent. Padme could sense the uneasiness also; it was almost a feeling of dread and of anticipation. “Stay sharp.” The elder friend admonished as he darted down the hallway, girl in tow. They hugged the shadows. As beings rounded the corner ahead of them, he pulled Padme into an outcropping in the wall and placed himself in front of her. Using the Force, he hid himself from those that passed. Those that passed were wearing black cloaks and carried formidable sabres in their grasp. Between the two middle persons in the procession was Sio Biddle, his corpse carried unceremoniously through the halls of the house he had once served.

Padme shut her eyes as she saw the horrid display pass. Careful to mask and damper her feelings so as to not project them. She kept her eyes shut until Obi-Wan pulled her after him further down the hall. The room into which they stumbled was filled with carnage. Sabres, by their nature, do not leave blood trails, as they sear and seal the wounds immediately. The art of sabre dueling is a clean one. However, the sight bodies cut by sabres can affect even the strongest of warriors when large amounts of bodies are placed in one area. For Padme, the sight was terrifically horrible, as the persons surrounding her were either family or those that had served her family.

Obi-Wan wasted no time in backing out of the room and pulling the girl into another empty room. “Padme.” He whispered, holding his sabre in one hand and her face in his other. “Padme, you must mask your emotions. The Sith are here, they will latch onto it and follow it.”

Padme raised her eyes to Obi-Wan and nodded, steeling her mind. She knew of her sorrow, knew of her pain, accepted its existence and thereby placed it out of her conscious mind. Obi-Wan continued to grasp her face until he could feel just the slightest glimmer of emotion. “Good, Padme. I promise you when we get out of here, you will mourn, as will I. But not now, not today. We will get out of here.”

Padme nodded, removing her sabre from her belt. “That’s right, Jedi. We will.”

“They will have closed off the outside of the house if they know that we are in here. They will force us toward one exit or room, that is assured, it is the Jedi way. And whether or not they agree with us, they still study the Jedi arts.” Obi-Wan thought aloud. “We will have to go for the main entrance, avoiding all of the other areas. They will expect us to avoid it, I know I would normally, but if they expect us to go elsewhere…”

“Regardless, Ben.” She stopped him with a hand on his arm. “We will have to fight our way out. And possibly to the hanger, if we cannot get back to our ship.”

He nodded. Pulling her away from the wall, he sprinted down the hall. As he rounded the second corner, nearing the main stairwell in the house, they were met with a small contingent of Sith warriors, carrying their blood red sabers. Obi-Wan quickly shed his cloak and readied himself for battle as Padme turned on her sabre and bounced on the balls of her feet.

“And so it begins.” She said quietly, calming her mind as the swing of sabres began.

Qui-Gon drew up with a shudder as he passed the last of the trees near the edge of Theeds. People were seen running and evading an unknown presence. In his mind, he felt the calmness of battle, knowing that his students together were facing an enemy. “They have met the Sith, Mace.” He said quietly.

“I know, I feel them also.” Windu grasped his sabre closer to his body as he fought through one contingent of people as they ran. “The Sith must have them cornered in the Grand House.”

“They will need help.” The other master answered, moving toward the large ruling house atop of the hill in front of them.

Mace nodded to Qui-Gon and held up his hand. With quick waves, he chose one student to accompany he and Qui-Gon. To the others, he pointed toward the hanger. Yoda frowned and sighed knowingly. “Surprising it will be if they live, Mace.” He answered solemnly, “Powerful is the Sith, even for a Jedi fully trained.”

Qui-Gon frowned and moved off toward the house, his other friend shouting orders and following quickly. Mace tried to slow the man down with a shout, but was brushed off. “I sent them there, Mace, and I will get them out.” Was all the younger master said.

“I know, friend, I know. But calm your mind, or announce our presence you will.” Mace answered, sprinting through the streets. “And Padme might be the last of the ruling line to survive if she lives. We must ensure her survival.”

Qui-Gon’s terse nod was all that was given for an answer.

Obi-Wan leapt into the air and performed a flip, using the force to launch a small statue at the head of one of the Sith. The Sith was knocked in the head and shook it viciously. The young Jedi’s hazel eyes flashed as he swung his sabre to cut the arm of the Sith. Once it was severed, the rest of the body was set asunder. He saluted momentarily and spun to meet his next opponent.

Padme had already dispatched one Sith and was valiantly fighting her own against another. Her leaps were much higher and more concise than any of her previous practice attempts had been. She swung her sabre powerfully and with accuracy. But the sheer number of Sith, two for each warrior, was more than she could have ever anticipated. She kept time with her opponent, keeping a feeling on Obi-Wan and his fight. She heard Obi-Wan yell in warning as a statue flew at her head. She leapt to avoid it, but caught herself off balance as she came back to the ground. The Sith that she was fighting took the opportunity to swing at her torso, grazing her ribs. She gasped in pain, but continued to fight the being with control.

Obi-Wan immediately retaliated against his opponent, by cutting its sabre out of its hand and by cutting it in half when the opportunity presented itself. He turned to help Padme to find her leaning against a column fighting to the best of her ability against the Sith. He raced to help her, only to be intercepted by flying debris. As he neared, the girl pushed herself away from the support and launched at her attacker. As they rocketed through a nearby door, the door shut, closing Obi-Wan off from her and her from his help. The other Jedi stared at the door in disbelief and frowned, searching desperately for the mechanism to open it.

Inside, Padme Amidala was valiantly struggling to keep her sabre in blocks with the Sith’s parries. She was trying to reach inside herself and touch her instincts to hear what they told her. Her mind was focused on the here and now, the living Force. The girl was trying to seal off her pain in her mind to stop herself from needing to address it. As her opponent tried to lead her deeper into the room, she resisted, knowing that once Obi-Wan opened the door, she would need to be close so he could join the fight. She thought that she heard the door open and glanced for the fraction of a milliparsec to notice that it was a trick. She quickly swung her sabre to avoid the swing that she sensed was coming and stepped back. It was then that her ribs began to bleed from the extra strain that she placed on them. She gasped as her hand fought to hold her torso as the other swung in protection. The Sith swung his free hand to hit her torso, and as she went down, he put his sabre through her shoulder.

Obi-Wan searched in vain for the door mechanism finally realizing that it was located on the side that Padme was. He cursed silently, replaying their trek there to see if there was indeed another way into the room. As he turned to run, he lit his sabre as two beings rounded the corner ahead of him. Instantly recognizing his teacher, he gasped. “Padme’s inside, and the door is locked on that side.”

Qui-Gon cursed as he approached the door, checking the area around the outside to see if there was a way to trigger it. Seeing none, he gestured to his student to run back the other way. Mace had already run down the other hall towards the back of the room. Qui-Gon stayed where he was, hoping that someone would trigger the door from the inside and he could enter.

Padme gasped as her body hit the floor, her sabre still in her hand. Unable to resist another blow, she resorted to sliding forcefully across the stone floor. As she moved, her mind envisioned the throwing of several of the small tapestries toward the opponent. They instantly flew toward the being, tangling his arms for one second, as the girl reached down to hold her torso, fighting to stop the bleeding with her mind. It was then that she noticed the door mechanism. It was on the inside of the room and not on the side that Obi-Wan was. She lifted her hand toward the door and flicked the switch with the Force. It flew open.

As the door opened, Qui-Gon instantly entered the room with his sabre drawn. He engaged the Sith with speed and purpose. Mace was the next person to enter the room and sped toward the pair of duelers. When he saw Padme on the ground, he changed direction and ran to grab her. He could see that the girl was pale, but centered on the fight. Her mind was still in combat mode, unable to change her mindset. As he grabbed her, he saw Qui-Gon swing his blade straight down and with sheer force, cut the Sith’s red sabre in half at the handle. Quickly, he delivered the deathblow.

“Qui-Gon” Mace shouted, as the younger master ran towards them. “There will be more.”

Qui-Gon reached down to grab Padme about the arms and hauled her against his body away from Mace. “Then we must leave quickly, Mace. Which way is the hanger, Padme?”

“Down the east hall, through the central plaza, second left and two blocks down.” She gasped, but the words were clearly heard. Obi-Wan appeared through the door that Qui-Gon entered as they were leaving. He ran to meet them and smiled as he saw Padme grimace in greeting.

“We need to practice, Ben.” She whispered in pain.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, Padme. You were quite good back there. You definitely impressed me.” He answered, lighting his sabre and joining the other student in front of the entourage.

Qui-Gon and Mace tried to keep the girl on her feet and moving. However, as they began to go through the main plaza, her feet gave out. Qui-Gon hooked his sabre and bent to sweep her up into his arms. Mace quickly swiped his hand over her brow with a frown as the younger Jedi adjusted her. Padme’s head fell back against Qui-Gon’s shoulder with a sigh and she fell into slumber. Qui-Gon nodded thankfully to his friend, tucked the girl’s head into his shoulder and picked up the pace.

As they neared the hanger, the second of the students waved from the door. As they entered, they saw a collection of four Naboodian fighters manned with R2 units. The youngest student and the other members of the council were standing near the fighters, apparently preparing them for departure. With the entrance of Obi-Wan and the others, they began to hurry to enter the fighters, knowing that the Sith would not be far behind. Yoda, riding with the student was lowered into a cockpit and was followed by his charge. Mace held out his arms for Padme and his friend handed her over as he leapt to the cockpit of another fighter. Inside he noted that there were two seats and various controls written in Standard Basic. In the back of the spacious fighter was a single bunk; it was obvious that these vessels were for long distance traveling. As he moved his cloak to make a bed for the girl he noted his Padawan jumping into another cockpit. The two men met eyes and smiled. They would travel apart on this one.

Mace shouted for the Jedi to hurry. As Qui-Gon turned to finish with the bed, a crash was heard from the entrance of the hanger. Several Sith warriors entered. Mace cursed as he saw the black cloaked men and turned to Qui-Gon. He released the girl and she floated upward to the younger master. Qui-Gon swept his arms across the space in front of him to move her to the bed and lay her out. He turned to help his friend only to see a warrior standing on the nose of his own fighter. He withdrew his sabre with calmness. He knew that all that was needed was to dislodge the humanoid from the ship; he need not destroy it. Mace suddenly appeared on the nose of the fighter with the other warrior. He swung his sabre as Qui-Gon brought his sabre straight down. The combined effort was too much for the Sith. The being fell from the fighter to the ground with a howl. Without thinking, Qui-Gon activated the cockpit door, sweeping his friend inside with a push. The two men fell to the seats with groans and activated various controls.

Across the hanger, Obi-Wan fought side by side with a member of his student order. The two flipped over the two Sith warriors, swinging their sabres with one hand. Obi-Wan deviated in his plan of attack to land a blow on the warrior that was fighting Farre. The two blows quickly ended that battle, leaving the Sith lying on the floor of the hanger. Both men turned to handle the remaining warrior only to see the remaining elder of Jedi council running toward them. He leapt over their heads to land in the cockpit of the fighter. The two younger men looked at each other and back toward the way that the man had come. Without a second thought the two men jumped after their elder, landing in the cockpit and activating the door. The fighter momentarily lifted off, gliding across the floor, as twenty Sith ran into the hanger.

Obi-Wan grabbed the controls and swept the fighter into a controlled low roll and pointed it toward the door. As the yellow hued Naboodian fighter left the hanger, he sighed with relief. He turned to Farre with a grimace and wiped the sweat from his brow. “Almost as bad as having to practice against Qui-Gon.” He commented.

Farre swept the brown fur back from his brow with a knowing grin. “Have you ever practiced against Mace?”

The two men shared the joke as a clearing of a throat came from behind them. They wiped the grins from their faces and set about programming a roundabout course to Tatoonine. The elder waited for several parsecs and then laid his hands on the students’ shoulders. “You both did very well. You have come far in your training. I will speak to Yoda concerning your trials; if there is still such a thing.”

Farre grimaced, pushing several buttons. “With all due respect, Master, there is still a thing, it just seems to be misplaced right now.”

Obi-Wan nodded in agreement. “We will triumph, sir.”

Mace groaned with tiredness as he pushed the button to take them a sub-light speed to Danodia, and then to light speed to Tatoonine. The deviation in the course programming, he hoped would be all that was needed to keep Sith confused momentarily. Qui-Gon wiped his brow as he nodded to his friend. “Your student was exceptional, Mace.”

“As was Obi-Wan.” Answered the other. “It seems that they both may be ready for their trials.”

“We do need the help. I’m getting too old for this.” Qui-Gon answered, rising from his seat. Padme lay on the cot, motionless, where the men had left her. She was exceedingly pale, a pool of crimson blood was gathering on her tunic around her rib cage. The shoulder wound was completely cauterized, but was in need of attention. He removed his sabre belt and took off his cummerbund, looking around for liquid. Mace murmured as he tossed a container to the other man. The Jedi caught it and knelt next to Padme as he opened the flask. The odor caught him off guard. “Whiskey?” he asked Mace.

“It was all that was here, Qui-Gon.” Mace turned in his seat. “Use it on her torso wound. At the least it will kill any infection."

“If it doesn’t make her and I intoxicated first.” The other Jedi shot back, pouring some on his material and loosening the girl’s tunic. He peeled the material aside to gasp at the wound. It was worse than he had thought. The skin was rendered from one side of the rib cage to the other. It had the marks of a sabre wound, cauterized and clean, but the weakened skin had been pulled apart under strain of battle. Blood and clear liquid oozed from the entire wound. He pulled back the shift to see her shoulder wound: a small round wound that went clear through the joint. He sighed as he pressed the wet material to her torso wound. The girl gasped and woke with a moan. Qui-Gon laid a hand on her brow to keep her down as he applied pressure to the wound. She gulped and watched him momentarily until the smell of the liquid he was using hit her olfactory nerves.

“Whiskey?” she whispered. “Master, have you finally learned the art of healing?”

Mace chuckled as he heard the exchange. “I am afraid not, young one. Qui-Gon only has the talent for fighting and insight, not healing.”

Padme smiled gently and nodded to Qui-Gon as he grimaced at his friend. The younger Jedi shook his head with helplessness. The wound was very bad. Padme felt the exchange rather than saw it. She laid her hand on her mentor ’s to stop his movements. Mace watched the movement with interest. His eyes narrowed as the girl moved to grasp Qui-Gon’s wrist.

Padme rested completely against the cloak and swallowed. Her master shook his head to her. “I might have encouraged you to take your healing arts to the next level, Padme, but I myself cannot heal. I don’t have the ability. There is nothing that I can…”

“Yes, there is.” Padme whispered, visibly weakened. She met her master’s eyes for a moment as he narrowed his eyes. Mace leaned forward on the chair. Qui-Gon’s blue eyes widened and he leaned closer to her. “I don’t think that will work, young one. But we can attempt...”

“There is no try, Qui-Gon. Do or do not.” She answered wisely. She moved to lay her hand on top of her master’s. Their fingers entwined and he sighed.

“It will hurt.” He whispered, leaning close to her. “There is nothing for it.”

“I know.” She stated, gasping. “But the alternative is worse; this wound will kill me. I need you to channel me to myself; it is the only way. I need your strength. Just keep your hand on the wound no matter how much I fight or cry out. Do not move your hand until the skin is mended. Then move to the next section. You will see my skin, and my pain. Do not center on it.”

Mace’s eyes widened at the wisdom and tone of the girl’s voice. She had her father’s bearing but more wisdom than he had ever exhibited. The tone of her voice was one that, even while she was weakened, there was no question of disobeying her. Qui-Gon nodded in acceptance of the situation and moved to kiss her brow. “So it is, then, Padme.”

“Just picture the wound in your mind, and let me see it through you.” She intoned lowly. “Keep your hands on the wound.”

He nodded, kissing her nose. “I will, Draca.” As she lay back, he turned to his friend. “Mace, I will need you to hold her down; I cannot do that at the same time.”

The elder Jedi moved to the girl’s head, motioning that he would hold her across her shoulders. He settled down to stare at his friend. Qui-Gon’s eyes were wide in pain, tears lurking in the depths of his soul. His mouth was a straight line and his mind solely locked on the problem at hand. Padme was breathing deeply; relaxing, meditating as well as she could through the pain. The Master laid his hands on Padme’s, entwining his fingers with hers and moving them down to the wound. He shut his eyes and envisioned the wound, its depth and the tearing of the skin that accompanied it. Padme’s mouth frowned as she saw the wound through his eyes. “It is bad, then.”

The Jedi nodded his head, his eyes still closed. The girl sighed and gripped his hands. Qui-Gon moved his hand to the area of the wound that was the farthest to the right and laid his hand down with force on the wound. Padme saw her ripped skin, the scored rib and the grazed diaphragm. She swallowed as she pictured the organ coming back together and the skin cells meshing and rejoining. As she saw this happening in her mind, the warmth of her master’s hands was turning to fire. She gasped with pain and swallowed, trying to contain the pain so that she could work. With effort, she saw the rib returned to its proper condition and lastly the skin repairing itself.

Mace shook his head with disbelief and watched as Qui-Gon picked up their joined hands and moved it to the next section. His look of concentration was hardened. Tears were falling from his eyes as he pressed in on the next section of the girl’s body. She arched her neck within seconds, as the pain of healing overwhelmed her attempts at controlling it. He kept his hands on the wound, staring at her face. “Padme.” He whispered. “Padme, you must do it. You can rest afterwards. Draw on my strength; it is here for the claiming. Use it.”

“It hurts.” She grit out, picturing her stomach sealing itself. The skin was coming back together as she took a deep breath and pushed her efforts. The skin sealed slowly. Mace again shook his head, this time indicating to Qui-Gon that the girl was too weak to continue. The younger Master shook his head and moved to the next section of the wound.

Padme grimaced and gripped Qui-Gon’s hands. He began to murmur to her in quiet tones about completing the task at hand and about concentration. He knew that if he removed his hands now, and let the girl rest or sleep, they would never heal her. He pressed his hands into her torso with force, picturing the state of the skin as best he could. He could see her plan of action in her mind. He pushed his conscious strength into her mind. His eyes screwed shut and his breathing became as labored as hers. The skin slowly closed and he moved his hand to the last portion of the wound. It was a small portion so he pulled one of his hands from hers, and laced her two hands with his large one.

“Concentrate, young one.” He whispered. “I am giving you all that I can. Use it wisely, heal yourself.” He leaned down into her face, his other hand stroking her hair near her brow. The girl’s eyes were unfocused with exhaustion and pain. She gulped and shook her head with slowness. Her brown eyes met his momentarily and she opened her mouth.

“I can’t.” she said quietly.

“You can.” He answered, “ and you will.” His hand shook as it hooked under her chin. “You are strong, Padme. More so than I am; this will not beat you. Concentrate on the living Force. Join with it.”

She nodded quietly with a strangled laugh. “Still admonishing, Master?” The laugh ended in a gasp of pain. She sighed and closed her eyes.

Qui-Gon’s hand slipped below her neck to cup it lightly. “Only for you, Draca.” He stated. “You need to finish this. Naboo will need you. Do not make me answer to Obi-Wan or Bail about you.” He grimaced as a gasp of pain left her lips as he pressed his hand into the wound. “I need you- you and that stubborn nature and your intellect. If you cannot do this for yourself or for Naboo than do it for me. I have gotten used to you being around, do not do this just when I have gotten accustom to you.” His lips inched closer until they touched hers momentarily. When he pulled back, her brown eyes were locked on his. She nodded silently with knowledge and eased back to the covers.

“That’s it.” Qui-Gon nodded. He watched as the wound began to close itself. “That’s it, Padme.”

She groaned in pain and gripped his hands as the skin began to join. Through her gasps and light screams of pain, the skin completely joined. Once the task was accomplished, Qui-Gon nodded gravely. Padme was gasping on the bed. The younger master sank back on his hunches, leaning forward. Mace asked quietly about his state. Qui-Gon waved him off and hung his head with a request. “Mace, put her under, let her sleep. She needs the rest to completely heal.”

The elder Jedi nodded and placed his hand on Padme’s brow with gentleness. Padme opened her eyes to meet those of her father’s master and gasped. “Watch Qui-Gon- he will be exhausted.” With that, she shut her eyes and faded into a dreamless sleep.

Mace pulled covers over the girl, carefully avoiding her wound. As he tucked her in like a child, he shook his head with disbelief. Qui-Gon rose to his feet, bending over in the low ceiling of the fighter, to collapse in one of the pilot seats. He leaned back in the seat, shutting his eyes. He was bone tired, but it was a survivable level of exhaustion.

His friend joined him momentarily and sank back into his chair. He turned his head once to look at the girl on the bed. “How long has she…”

“Four standard lunar cycles.” Qui-Gon answered, his eyes closed. “She healed me on a mission without guidance. She is exceedingly strong with the force, and has the facilities to use it. I have had to teach her actually very little; it is just fine tuning what she already knows or has an idea about. If she were to take the trials, I would say that she was ready.”

Mace let out a breath with a groan. “I knew that she was gifted. I suspected since her bi`rth, but I did not know that she was that talented. How is her sabre?”

“She consistently practices at Master level. She can take on and outlast Obi-Wan. I have not trained against her.” Qui-Gon turned his head to Mace and opened his eyes. “She could become a trainer herself, Mace. She has more insight than I have ever encountered in a lifeform.”

“How are her interaction and diplomacy skills?”

Qui-Gon nodded quietly. “Very good. She acted as a mediary on a mission for Obi-Wan and myself. She handled the situation well and was able to keep presence of mind when we ran into trouble.”

Mace was quiet, turning to stare out of the view port. He quietly continued his conversation with his friend. “I cannot let her take the trials, Qui-Gon, friend. Her father was adamant and made me promise to that affect. We tested her at her birth for midi cholorians and found her to be exceedingly high. He made me promise then. He said he would let her use and hone her skills, but she was not to live the life of a Jedi.” He looked at the girl’s reflection in the viewport. “She was to marry the son of Bail Organa and seal the relationship between the two systems. And yet, here she is, lying in a fighter, healing herself while two old Jedi sit and watch her do it. Her life is not as her father wished, and, by the maker, I cannot change that.”

Qui-Gon answered quickly. “I think that she actually likes this life, Mace. It might not be as her father wished. I knew Brace, though. If his daughter found this life to her liking, he would have allowed it.” His eyes turned soft as he watched her reflection also. “I protect her as I think her father would have wanted. Protecting her has ceased to be a chore and has become a way of life.”

Mace was quiet as he shut his eyes. “You have feelings for her.” He stated.

Qui-Gon’s mouth turned to a straight line. “I will not pretend that I don’t know what you are talking about. But it is a hard question to answer.”

“As a friend, Qui-Gon. Tell me.”

Qui-Gon looked out the viewport. “I do not know what happened, Mace. One day, she was like a child to me. I felt that I had to protect her and shelter her, because she could not do it herself. Then I realized that in most instances, she could take care of herself. Then, when I knew that I should let her exercise her skills, I found myself not wanting her to. I began to notice her as a woman. Not one to protect, but one to…”

“Love.” His friend finished, turning to look at his friend who had a very stunned look on his face. “You love her, Qui-Gon.”

“I would wake up in the sleep cycle and see her eyes. I would wait in the morning to see her lips smile and her eyes sparkle. I would hear her dreams across the living quarters. When she practiced, I was impressed with her abilities and tried to teach her well, but I would begin to notice how high the shirt would pull, how her legs would move.”

“And apparently, you want her also.” Mace grumbled. He turned back forward. “I noticed the kiss, Qui-Gon. It was hard to miss. Have you…”

“No.” Qui-Gon answered forcefully. “I am forbidden to have relations like that. I cannot, and I would not want that for her anyway.”

“The kiss then?”

“I care for her, Mace.” The other man smiled a little. “Besides, a kiss does not make a carnal relation. She needed it, she needed me. That was the way that I chose to help her. If my love was what was needed for her to heal herself, then I had to show it to her. She does not return it, Mace. I am her master, not her lover. Besides, I am old enough to be her father.”

Mace was quiet before he rose to check on the girl. As he stood behind his chair, he laid a hand on his friend’s arm. “Do not underestimate the power of love, Qui-Gon. I cannot tell you not to care; that is almost as impossible as stopping a sun from setting. Guard your feelings toward her. And do not automatically think that she does not return the emotion. A woman’s heart is a mystery even to us. Watch your actions toward her. Continue to protect her. But be mindful of your wants.” With that he turned toward the back of the ship.

Qui-Gon turned back to stare out of the window and let his eyes close in pain.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||