FORBIDDEN: Part 10

by:  Jenn
Feedback to:  ipomea@email.msn.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


'And so it was that a Galactic Republic was formed. Before time, and for all time; for thousands of generations a Senate has existed. Created in equality and for the representation of all systems, the governing body exerts its power through equal vote and as the final word on all interplanetary interactions. The position of Supreme Chancellor was created to serve as a leader, a mediator, and the embodiment of parliamentary procedure, but also as a mediary between the Senate and the enforcement arm of the government: The Jedi Knights. The Knights were formed thousands of seasons before the Republic as a philosophical and educational sect, striving to learn and master the Force. They now stand as the force of righteousness in the galaxy. Success has been achieved in the government's ability to check and balance amongst itself.'

- Excerpt from Galactic Government: A History.


The new dawn broke on Corsucant. The aging sun rose on the glimmering planet, reflecting well off of the large and powerful buildings outlining the horizon. As the rays swept across the surface, they alighted on the Jedi Temple, a tall, strange looking building. It’s dark and imposing structure reflected the severity and control that the students within were taught to emulate. It held a peaceful visage, though, on the outside. Inside, however, was another story.

The halls of the great building were scarred, burned. Several portals looked as though they had been slashed with a large knife. Bodies lined the hallways, mostly those of students and those just accepted by the order for study. Cloaks were lying abandoned on the floors, sabres, both lit and unlit, lay next to their fallen owners. The halls spoke of carnage, of pain. It seemed as though all inside had met a horrible fate.


Bail Organa was a young man, barely thirty. His hair was of the deepest black and his eyes were a warm friendly chocolate. And although others might view him as a force not to be involved with, the man was known as being one of the most forceful voices in the Galactic Senate. His home planet of Alderaan was one of the oldest members of the Republic and was known for its peaceful and diplomatic nature. The man that had been born into the ruling family was no exception to its rule, but he knew of the need for enforcement of the peace. As he stood on the deck of the Republican cruiser, he was dressed in very utilitarian clothes: a pair of black pants, a loose white shirt and a vest. Barely concealed under his vest was a standard issue blaster, its safety off. The man was ready for trouble.

As the door slid open behind him, he turned on his heel. He had expected to see Padme Amidala, the unseated Queen of his sister planet of Naboo, but instead was faced with a formidable presence of Qui-Gon Jinn. Bail stood straighter and addressed the Jedi as he came into the room. "Jedi Master, where is Padme Amidala. I was told that she was aboard and I wished to meet with her to inquire after her family."

Qui-Gon tilted his head to the side to address the guards that had accompanied the ambassador on board. "The ambassador will be safe here. You have my word as a Jedi." Turning to Bail, he continued. "Padme is not able to get out of her bed right now, but has implored me to ask you to come to her."

A look of shock and of relief crossed Bail’s face. He nodded to his guards to remain in the room. Quietly, he followed the much taller man out of the room, shadowed in the man’s cloak. Organa was silent until after door shut and then whispered to draw the older man’s attention. "Qui-Gon."

The Jedi nodded, and ushered the man further along until they could talk safely. Once distance had been placed, Qui-Gon motioned for him to continue. "I have news from Corsucant, and it is not good, old friend."

"I have news from Padme that is not either, I’m afraid." The elder man stepped toward his cabin.

"The Jedi Temple has been attacked."

Qui-Gon stopped and swung around to face the younger man. His eyes bore into the others with disbelief. "Attacked! By whom? I felt nothing." He cursed himself as he realized that he had been dealing with Padme at the time.

"No one is certain, but the few Masters and Padawan that escaped swear to believe them to be Siths." Organa sighed. "There are a blessed few names that I have heard that escaped."

Qui-Gon leaned against the wall, almost as if needing its support. "Who?" he whispered. "Do you know where they are?"

"Windu, Yoda, a couple of students, that is all." Bail was quiet as he knew that the information would be a heavy blow for his friend. "Naboo is giving them…."

"Naboo!" Qui-Gon shouted, pushing the door mechanism, causing its metal hunk to slide aside. Padme, startled, sat upright on the bed. She met the eyes of both men as they entered the room. Qui-Gon continued, "They are definitely not safe on Naboo. Who offered them asylum?"

Padme swung her feet to the ground, standing with trouble, but maintaining her balance. "Who has gone to Naboo, Qui-Gon, Bail?"

"The Jedi Temple has been attacked, Padme." Qui-Gon answered with terse tones. "The few remaining Masters that were located at the temple have been offered solitude on Naboo."

"Oh," she sat again on the bedding, wincing as she did so. "Was it my sister, or Palpatine that offered the asylum, Bail?"

"Palpatine, supposedly on the orders of the ruling family." Bail answered, moving to embrace the young girl. Padme returned the hug, but quickly returned to business.

"Palpatine is a traitor and a pretender, Bail." Padme began, her eyes meeting and staying with Qui-Gon’s tight blue ones. "He murdered my father, and remained in office due to the lack of an argument against him. He does not have the power and the authority to be in office let alone offer asylum. Besides…"

Qui-Gon continued to meet Padme’s eyes, serving as a support for her as she continued. "the person that delivered my father’s death was a Sith apprentice, and called Palpatine, master." She ended, almost talking to herself, as if realizing the fact for the first time. "Palpatine is a Sith."

The two men remained silent for a moment, allowing the severity of the situation to sink into their minds properly. Qui-Gon then moved to the wall comlink and summoned Obi-Wan to his quarters. To the others, he relayed what further information that he had in possession of his mind. "If it was the Sith that attacked the Jedi Temple, they also have information about the other Jedi that are currently training, on a mission, or in seclusion. They can track us all." His voice was hoarse. "We will have to plan quickly."

Padme moved over to stand with her father’s friend. Padme continued to recount what information that she could to the younger man. "I remember the night that you and father talked about Palpatine; I was in the room hiding because I sensed trouble. I watched them kill my father. In the confusion that existed afterwards, Palpatine remained in office. My family always looked to him after that occurrence as a structure of continuality from my father’s rule to ours; a show of the strength of our lifestyle and culture. He has no power; the vote was in error."

"He has been elected Chancellor." Bail answered, grimacing.

"Regardless, if his councilship from his home planet is in question, he would have to forfeit all." Padme answered, a harshness coming into her voice. "He will be made to forfeit."

Qui-Gon walked across the room to lay a hand on the girl’s shoulder, holding her firmly. "He will, Padme. But not by your hand."

Obi-Wan entered the room, quickly bowing to the ambassador and moved to his Master. As soon as the door slid shut, the Master Jedi recounted the occurrence at the Temple and of the dream to his Padawan, watching as the younger man tried to deal with the shock and pain. It was a short battle, for Obi-Wan was quickly becoming a formidable Jedi.

"We must plan." Qui-Gon sighed, "And plan quickly, we can not fail."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||