FORBIDDEN: Part 1

by:  Jenn
Feedback to:  ipomea@email.msn.com

Author's Notes:  Hi.  (insert sheepish grin here)  Welcome.  This is a little foray into my real overactive imagination.  It is essentially The Phantom Menace told through a twisted mind.  It is alternative universe, meaning that the characters are there, but the situation is all screwed up.  Anyway, this is the first part of a very long story.  I cannot seem to cut it down.  Thanks for your time and I hope that you enjoy.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


'The plan by which life’s activities occur is not for the understanding. Rather, it is the Jedi’s responsibility to see only that the plan flows from the Force. Nothing happens that is not preordained; nothing is an accident. Therefore, be mindful only of the occurrence of the plans in life; strive to follow faithfully on the Force’s direction in your life. Do not ask why. Be patient and at peace, young Jedi, be calm. Time will reveal what it will.'

Excerpt from the Memoirs of a Jedi Master to His Apprentice, Author unknown, Old Republic, Cycle 23503.


The early morning sky above the capital of Theeds was aglow with purples and reds. The wisps of the new morning stretched as far as the winds might carry it, ruffling the gatherings of the native baruntha flowers and filling the air with their fragrance. A lowly browning leaf of the plant was gathered and thrown aloft into the air to float towards a stately building of old, graying stone. As it passed the steps of the building, water mist from a nearby waterfall glistened on its outer sheath. It’s added weight then propelled it into the open windows of the building rather than above it.

Young Queen Padme Amidala stood at her window, as the bustling of several handmaidens and courtiers behind her grew to a blaring pitch. Earlier, she had traded her stately gowns that showed her true Naboodian heritage for a collection of roughened material. Her hair was devoid of its usual theatrical twists and lay solemnly against her head in a simple braid. At her side was a small issue blaster, tightly attached to her belt with a holder. She looked nothing like the ruling persona that she was, but rather a peasant, eager and clean and at ready to defend her homestead against unknown assailants. Those around her, though, knew of her rank and her bearing and strove to emulate her even at this time of crisis.

"Queen Amidala." The aging man behind her that had served her family well for years approached her with a solemn look on his face. " I am not sure that your father would have approved…."

"My father is dead, Sio. And he has left this planet under mine and my sister’s rule." The young queen’s voice was quiet, and devoid of any particular feeling.

"But blasters, Padme…."

Amidala turned from the window to pin the man with an unwavering glance from her brown eyes. "Peace, my old friend, sometimes needs a helping hand. Sometimes we must defend it, preserve it."

"But war will place your people into a position of which they know nothing. War is unheard of…Naboo has not had war in two millennia. They will be pursued and killed."

Padme turned her saddened eyes back toward the window. "They will be pursued and killed regardless, Sio, of this you know. At least we will have a fighting chance to preserve our heritage in this manner. Besides, all that is needed is for the Viceroy to be killed, and the plans that the Trade Federation has for us will be unable to come to fruition."

Captain Panaka’s panicked voice broke through the din to announce: "The Viceroy and his entourage has broken through the outer security’s front line." The response to the line was for the remaining handmaidens and courtiers to take up flanks on either side of the great hall. Padme pushed herself against the wall behind a pillar. She turned her gaze to her younger sister, Sade and nodded imperceptibly. Sade pushed to the back of the room, as two men dressed in dark, roughened hoods flanked around her. The elder of the two men looked thoughtfully at the girl and moved his hand to his belt at the same time.

The younger man had already drawn his lightsabre, allowing its bluish tinge to glow in the room. He turned his head to the taller man and nodded in Padme’s direction. His question was directed towards Sade. "And your sister, Your Highness…?"

"She will remain where she is." Sade turned her eyes to the Jedi in front of her. "It is our plan."

"What would that be, young queen?" The elder Jedi turned towards the girl as his lightsabre ignited to glow green.

"One of us will be protected. It was my father’s dying wish that there would be two rulers. We are women, Jedi Master, and Naboo has not had women rulers in a millennia. My father knew of the hatred of the Trade Federation for our planet and its heritage, and knew that they were abiding their time for attack until we took the throne." Sade nodded towards Padme. "My sister has my father’s aim and state of mind. She is the more able to lead this attack."

Obi-Wan Kenobi nodded at the other woman, as blaster fire was heard down the hall. "It is your call, Master, this one or her sister…which one do you wish to accompany?"

Sade laid a small hand on the young Jedi’s arm. "It is my sister’s order that you both remain here." Her next sentence was cut off as a pair of piercing blue eyes met hers. The eyes belonged to the elder Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, and caused the girl to step backwards.

Qui-Gon nodded solemnly towards the queen and stepped towards her quietly. The sounds of the battle were getting closer, and the Jedi had little time to argue points. "With all due respect, your Highness, the orders that I follow are those of the Jedi Council on Corsucant, and those of my creed. When it is necessary, I follow those of whom I am to serve, but too often there is corruption and evil. Our given orders are to help foil this plan and to return peace to this sector in any way that we can within our creed. Regardless of what our plan was, however, we cannot knowingly abandon it or its conceptulizer. Padawan, remain here with the queen." With the last sentence, the tall man stalked off towards the other older, yet smaller queen.

Obi-Wan sighed and pushed the younger queen towards a small outcove in the throne room. "This way, your Majesty." Sade allowed herself to be placed into the small indention in the wall. The Jedi then placed his larger bulk in front of the girl and stood at ready. His gaze was drawn towards his master, and eye contact was strong, but brief. Qui-Gon stood slightly in front of the other queen, much to the girl’s annoyance.

Padme’s retort to the unanticipated appearance of the Jedi in front of her was cut off as the door burst inward into the throne room. The blaster fire then ran thick. The air was alive with the smell of burned flesh, heated plasma and the sight of brilliant red flames. The stately halls of the Grand House appeared to be on fire. Padme watched as two of her handmaidens were cut down in the fight, crumpled less than five meters from her. The fire of the enemy’s blasters had not reached her, as the Jedi was returning the blasts with well-placed and timed swings of his sabre. Minutes pasted like hours. Padme leaned slightly to the side to see a break in the advancing enemy’s line and a clear shot of the Viceroy. Crying out, the young girl threw herself forward past the Jedi and his protection. Padme ran across the hall, drawing fire, and yet avoiding it. Captain Panaka shouted in warning, aiming at and finding several targets to meet his blaster fire.

Upon reaching the other side of the hall, which was less protected, and yet affording a greater advantage point for fire, Padme dropped behind her father’s statue and took careful aim on several of the ranking guards. Two or three fell before the enemy located the source of the fire and returned it. At the same time, as the fire was lessened toward the other side of the hall, Qui-Gon and several others pressed forward. The Jedi led, as his sabre gave protection. Soon, the enemy’s numbers were decreasing steadily. Padme was given the opportunity and exploited the opening for bringing down the Viceroy, Nute Gunray. Within a short period of time, the firing ceased and guns were laid down. With the Viceroy dead, the droids that had been accompanying the rouge Neimoidian were without guidance and ceased to attack. Quiet rang like a loud bell in the suddenly silent hall.

Padme regained her footing and moved back toward her remaining security force. Her small frame was shaking with exertion and tears of strain fell freely from her eyes. "Captain Panaka, we need count of those downed, and wounded." She shouted as she neared those that she held most dear.

The murmuring of those wounded and those attending them began to fill the vacated area of the noise of the battle. Padme slowed her walk to breathe deeply. In the back corner of the room, Obi-Wan moved away from the wall to come toward the rest, leading a shaken, but unharmed queen. It was his shout that alerted the rest to stray plasma gunfire.

Qui-Gon was moving before Obi-Wan’s shout rang out. With a mighty leap, he threw himself in front of Padme, taking a plasma shot in the shoulder. It was the young queen who caught his crumpling form before he hit the ground, and it was her shout that filled his ears as his vision went black.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||