FATE: Part 8

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


From the outside, Callisto kept her face without expression. She personally believed that to show her own emotions. In retrospect she realized she was being hypocritical. She had no problems with showing someone she was angry or irritated. However if she was sad, upset, or amazed, she buried it. In her mind, those were weak emotions, and she never showed her weaknesses. It left her open to attack, She could fend off attack, but when it was personal it was a little bit more difficult to deal with. It took a lot of effort to suppress her excitement of arriving on the city planet. Never in all her life had she seen anything like it. Immediately, the scientist/explorer part of her kicked in, wondering about all the workings of it. How was this place able to support and atmosphere when it was all city? How was it able to just flow so smoothly? Already she couldn't wait to walk its streets and visit its corners, both light and dark.

Anakin tugged on her jacket. She winced slightly as the leather brushed against the bandaged wound, but the young boy didn't take any notice. Unlike his friend, he was brimming with elation as Ric Olie brought the ship down onto the vast planet.

"That's the Senate building over there," Anakin said. "I didn't get to inside it, but I was in the one over there when Queen Amidala was talking to a senator."

Callisto looked over at the buildings. "Big, aren't they?"

"Yeah," Anakin nodded. "I've never seen anything like it. Have you?" He looked up at her for an answer.

She pressed her lips together while in deep recollection. "I think once, but I can't remember it very well. For all I know, it might be my own imagination, the memory of a dream or something like that."

Anakin pulled her jackets again, turning her a bit to the left. "Over there is the Jedi Temple. I got to go there."

"I remember. You told me before in my room."

"I know. I just wanted to show you what it looked like. I can't wait until we land. When we do, I'm going to take you there ... and I'm going to take Mom. There are so many things I want to show you. I think you'll really like it."

Callisto frowned. Sure, she did want to take a look, spend some more time with the kid since he had the nice habit of always making her feel better, but she didn't want to somehow get conned into staying longer. That was what he was trying to do, she could tell. It would probably be a good idea to put a stop to that right away.

"I don't know, Ani. I can't really stay very long."

Anakin pretended like he hadn't heard her. Inside, though, the wheels were turning. He didn't want her to go away for two reasons. One, he liked her and he knew his mother liked her, especially since she had done her best to protect them both for harm and had always kept them together. Once, he remembered Watto had tried to sell Shmi, but Callisto, unknown to the Toydarian, had completely botched the whole thing. The second reason was that he was worried about her. He knew that if he voiced his concerns for her on his own, she would dismiss them since he was still a child. Yeah, he was just a kid, but he knew when something was wrong. Callisto had led a painful life and had a habit of digging herself into places that weren't that pleasant. She had made a lot of unpleasant enemies over the course of the years, some weak and others who carried weight. So far she had gotten herself out of each and every one of them (at least the ones he knew about), but luck like that didn't last forever. The reason he was worried for her the most was the events of the last few days. She had in a sense stolen from Jabba. He might find out what she had done and send someone out after her. That, he was pretty sure she could handle. He had seen her do it a number of times. What bothered him more was that fight she had been in with the Sith. If Obi-Wan hadn't shown up when he did, he was pretty sure she would have died. Whatever that man's name was, he was still out there and would remember her, and possibly seek revenge. It didn't sit well with the young padawan.

He was going to have to o something about that. He would talk to Qui-Gon and Amidala about it. Maybe they could help.

Callisto shifted on her feet. Something was making her uncomfortable and she wasn't sure what it was. She thought perhaps it was the company she was with. So many important people...and then her. She didn't feel right. She felt so out of place.

She stepped outside of the cockpit area without a word. Anakin turned around quickly, watching her as she passed too quickly for him to utter a word. Obi-Wan stepped into the place where she had stood only a second ago.

He looked down and smiled down at him. "You'll begin training soon," Obi-Wan stated softly.

Anakin smiled. "I know. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"What's going to happen to my mother now?"

"I'm not completely sure. Amidala and I had spoken about this earlier while you were asleep. She has offered to give your mother residence on Naboo."

Anakin nodded. That was a pretty good idea. Something about his mother and Amidala being in the same place made him feel warm and safe inside. It was a much better feeling than that cold worry mixed with fear.

"What about Callisto?"

Obi-Wan paused at the mention of her name.

"That had yet to be decided."

Anakin let his gaze linger on Obi-Wan for a moment, then shifted it back to the main window. The worry was back.


Callisto leaned against the wall near what had been her quarters, her lips pressed to a thin line with her head slightly down. She felt a little bit dizzy and it was not from any sort of physical ailment. It was not a pleasant sensation and she wanted it to go away.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. She lifted her head slightly and brought it around to see who it was. The longer haired Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn was looking at her with some concern.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

She faked a smile. "I'm fine, never been better."

His smile was wistful. "Somehow, I don't believe that."

Callisto shrugged. "Your choice, even if it is the truth. I'm off Tatooine so I've never been better than that."

The Jedi turned her around to face him slowly with his hand. She didn't bother to resist. There wasn't much point to it.

"That isn't the whole of it, we both know that."

Now she felt a bit more uncomfortable. She didn't like the fact she felt like she was being backed into a corner, especially since she wasn't. It just was a hard fact for her to swallow that there was an actual being out there who was showing true concern, even without knowing who she was.

She shook her head. "I just... This just isn't my scene. I don't belong here."

"Then where do you belong?"

"Not here, that's for sure."

Qui-Gon smiled again. "Are you that certain about it. How do you know without any sort of doubt what your place is supposed to be? It might very well be here."

"And how would you know that?"

"Because you are here."

"It's all just a coincidence. I'll be gone soon, don't get attached."

He sighed. "Nothing happens by chance. There is a reason for everything. You may not believe it, but you don't always have to for something to be true. I feel that there was a reason for this. I don't know what that is exactly, but I am sure you are in 'the right place'. Don't be so quick to rush off."

"And what if I am?"

He smiled. "I don't think you will be." Then he turned and took his place besides Obi-Wan. She could see him turn to Anakin and say something that made the boy laugh.

Callisto shook her head.

"Jedi," she muttered.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||