FATE: Part 3

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Anakin Skywalker wasn't happy to leave, but he knew he had to. He couldn't stay on Naboo forever if he wished to be a Jedi. And he was! He was really going to be a Jedi!

"This is so wizard," he breathed.

"What was that Ani?" Queen Amidala said as she walked beside the boy with Captain Panaka to see him off.

"Nothing," Anakin replied, trying to suppress the wide grin he could feel just waiting to break out.

The young queen looked at Anakin with a smile, but was that a trace of sadness beneath that painted face? "I'm going to miss you Anakin. It might be a long time before we see each other again."

"Maybe," Anakin said. "But I have a feeling we'll see each other again very soon. Very very soon," he said confidently.

Amidala could no longer suppress the smile. He was always so sure of everything. She missed that kind of assurance in the world that younger people had. Strange, she thought to herself. She wasn't that much older than him, but duty and pressures had robbed her of some of the faith she had in the world. Take the whole mess with the Senate. She prayed nothing like that would again afflict her people.

"You seem very sure of that. I hope you're right."

"I know I'm right."

She was about to say more when Mace Windu approached them as they arrived at the main hangar. Anakin felt a small shiver as the quick flash of memory of the day when this place was filled with droids and that dark clad man fought with his friends.

"I'm ready to go," Anakin said, guessing at what the Jedi master was going to say. "Where's Qui-Gon?"

"He's helping to get the ship ready," Mace said. "But you're not going to Corsucant."

Confusion furrowed Anakin's brow for a moment. "I'm not?"

"No. We've decided that you and your master will return to Tatooine. To retrieve your mother."

Immediately, Anakin's heart exploded with joy. "Really! You mean it!"

Even Mace, a man of quiet dignity, couldn't help but to smile with the boy's happiness. "Yes, really. Now this may not be easy, but some resources will be used to help. You understand you need to be careful."

Anakin was hardly listening now, but he understood. "Yes, I understand." Before anymore could be said, he had practically sprinted into the small gray ship that was a few yards ahead of him with a few cries of "Yippee!"

Now Mace was laughing. "I thought that might make his day."

Amidala was once again very curious and Panaka could see it in her eyes. He really hoped she was thinking what he thought she was thinking.

"I remember that man who owns his mother. A very unsavory man. And a greedy one," Amidala said thoughtfully.

Mace nodded in agreement. It was what he suspected.

"Qui-Gon said that greed can be a strong ally. I'm sure I may have something to offer that might be used. It certainly would at least help in taking back his mother."

"Any help would be welcomed," Mace said. He was starting to catch Panaka's bad feeling.

"Of course, if I am to offer my resources to help, I would like to.. oversee the process," Amidala said, not bothering to mask what she was planning to do.

"That may not be a good idea," Mace said, uncertainly.

"I've already decided," Amidala said firmly.

"Your Highness," Panaka began.

"Like I said, Captain, I've already decided.


Callisto walked into Jabba's palace without announcement. She thought it was better that way. Catching one's enemies off guard was almost always a good strategy. She didn't particularly think of Jabba as an enemy, but she wouldn't trust him outside the range of her blaster. She didn't really like dealing with this kind of people, but if you wanted any sort of security on Tatooine, you had to have connections, the higher the better. And in Mos Espa, there wasn't anyone higher than Jabba.

In the corner of her eye she could see a bounty hunter in some form of protective armor, watching her movements carefully. There were no bounties on her, if there were she probably wouldn't even be in there walking. She would be out looking for the fool who put one out on her and ended it quickly. She watched him as she walked and he did the same. She supposed it was mutual curiousity on both their parts. Everyone wondered who both of them were, and neither wanted to answer.

Several heads turned with interest at the newcomer who had blatantly walked in with speed. A scathing glance at them was enough to turn the heads away, but eyes were still on her. That was okay, Callisto was used to it by this point.

"Callisto, michalla cal token," Jabba said, his slug like body slithering in her direction.

"Basic, translated, or nothing at all," Callisto said crisply. She spoke Huttese of course, she just hated the sound of it coming out of her throat. It felt dirty and disgusting, much like its owner and home.

"So sorry, Callisto. What can I do for you today," the Hutt said with far too much cheer than she would have liked. "If you are looking to gamble we have a new board in today, a very good one."

Probably rigged, she thought. "Something has come to my attention that is bothering my conscience."

Jabba laughed. "Ho ho ho, conscience?"

She feigned amusement. "I know, a funny word coming from me."

"Well, my dear, what is bothering you? A business rival? I can see to it that it is quickly ... severed." He looked in the direction of a couple of bounty hunters who frequented the place.

Callisto smiled thinly, "For this matter, that won't be necessary, but the gesture is appreciated. I'm afraid this matter doesn't completely concern me ... in a small part it does, but it concerns you more."

"Really?"

"Yes, It would appear that there may be something wrong with some merchandise you were given in some winnings."

"Oh now?" Jabba said. He never really questioned the truth of anything Callisto had to say. She made a point to be honest about everything. You never knew when you really and truly had to lie. That one time would never be suspected. This wasn't the time, but it was coming soon enough.

"It involves Watto. It would appear his compensation that he gave you, the computer parts have a very serious flaw. A very old virus that he wasn't able to get rid of, despite all his talent. You can't detect it at first, but once you hook it up, good-bye financial records."

Callisto kept the grin suppressed. Jabba was now very angry and it was not wise to screw with powerful underworld characters, especially if you were a small time junk dealer. In one effective swipe, she had nailed the second to last nail on the Toydarian's coffin. the final one would come in a few more days.

Jabba went off in a slur of Huttese curses.

"I hope you didn't apply these damaged parts to anything," Callisto said, forcing concern in her voice.

"No, no, but I was about to sell them. Would have made many credits. Deal will be dead now. He will pay for this. I will take everything I would have made from him."

Callisto knew what he meant by that. It would mean he would also take Shmi, who was right now, Watto's most valuable possession.

Jabba would be very angry indeed with Watto if Shmi wasn't there.

This was going well, she thought. Very well.

She fought back her joy. Overconfidence could easily be her undoing and she was going to make damn sure this worked. It had to. Ever bit of it.

"Perhaps there is something I can do to help?" Callisto said cheerfully?

Jabba looked up at her.

"But it's going to cost you."

The Hutt nodded. She did nothing for free, but exceptional work. And he trusted her.

Callisto was counting on that.


Anakin knew he was supposed to be sleeping right now, but all he did was lay beneath a blanket with a wide grin on his face. He was going to see his mother again ... and free her!

Qui-Gon Jinn sat in the next room inside the ship. He could sense Anakin's excitement. He didn't blame the boy for it, but he wished he would at least try to rest.

Speaking of rest, that was something he himself should be doing. He was still quite sore from the encounter with the Sith Lord.

Apparently, Obi-Wan Kenobi was as well. His former apprentice sat across from him with a bag of ice planted on his left shoulder, touching his cheek, and a pained grimace on his face.

"I think he kicked me on the face just to annoy me," Obi-Wan said.

Qui-Gon laughed at the attempt to lighten the situation, even though it made his ribs ache slightly.

"Then perhaps he was trying to annoy you to death," Qui-Gon said.

"The council believes us now?"

The Jedi master nodded. "Somewhat. There's still some argument, but the truth is on the table. The remaining few see it, but only need to pick it up."

"This does not bode well."

"No, it doesn't. It is obvious to me that he was working with the Trade Federation for a long time perhaps. It would explain why they suddenly had the backbone for that kind of invasion."

Obi-Wan nodded.

"We must be careful, Pada... Obi-Wan. They snuck up on us once, they can do it again."

"At least next time, we have some idea what we're up against, less of a surprise."

Qui-Gon knew what he was trying to do. They both knew that the Sith had nearly killed him. If that laser wall had come down a moment later, he wouldn't be there. He could have died.

And that bothered him. It bothered both of them, but no one was saying anything

"You should rest. Tatooine is not the kindest of places and when we arrive," he sighed. "To put it lightly, it will prove exasperating."

Obi-Wan nodded and got up to go to his own quarters.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon said.

The younger Jedi lingered at the door.

"Thank you."

Obi-Wan paused, taken a back for a moment. Then he nodded and left.

Nothing else could be said.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||