FATE: Part 18

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Another celebration," Obi-Wan muttered. He shook his head wistfully.

It didn't seem all that long ago that he had stood in the city square of Theed, watching the confetti and ticker tape rain down from above in the midst of a jubilant crowd. Actually, it wasn't that long ago, barely a few weeks.

In retrospect, it was nothing short of amazing how much could happen in such a short space of time.

He knew Qui-Gon understood that. His former teacher sat across the great hall from him at a small table, his arm around Shmi Skywalker, both looking quite at ease as if they had always meant to be where they were now. Perhaps it was so, that fate had brought them together to that place. Not even Qui-Gon, with the strong attunement he had to the Force could have foreseen it. If he had, then that expression of happy surprise whenever he looked down at her wouldn't flit across his features so much.

Not far away was Anakin, who spoke to another apprentice about his own age. The young boy would glance over his shoulder at his new mentor and his mother, and smirk like he knew a secret. He was clearly pleased to see the two together, and why shouldn't he be? Obi-Wan was content with it, to see his master happy. Also, Anakin had the pleasure of seeing his mother free and with a smile on her face. If there had been any fear in his heart, it had to have disappeared instantly at that sight.

Obi-Wan smiled, turning his head away from the crowded room. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Queen Amidala walking into the room with her cadre of handmaidens. As he stepped out, he heard the quick, unmistakable sound of Anakin scampering up to greet her. Obi-Wan chuckled. He was beginning to think the little apprentice had a crush on the young queen.

Breathing in the cool night air, Obi-Wan sighed and squinted in the direction on the far east, where what remained of the temple stood. The last of the burning embers had long since expired, but he could still imagine the flaming wreckage he had seen when he had come there with Callisto. He had been told it had looked a lot worse earlier. How any of that could have looked worse was beyond his imagination. That place had been his home as far back as he could recall. He had grown up in the building which had been half reduced to cinders.

"Of course it's being rebuilt," Mace Windu said. Obi-Wan looked over his shoulder to see the Jedi master leaning against the wall, half obscured by shadow.

"I figured as much," Obi-Wan said.

"Other facilities are being used. It's a bit of a strain, but it is manageable. It's also the hard way of showing us that we've become a little too dependent on things which are never completely permanently. It is something that will have to be worked on."

Obi-Wan nodded. He then noticed a burn on Mace's cheek. "From the battle?"

Mace nodded. "I count myself lucky. I haven't kept up my practice with the saver. Now I know better." He shook his head sadly. "Why must everything be learned the hard way?"

"I suppose that sometimes that is the only way a lesson can be learned."

"Yes, Sad, but true. You did well, Obi-Wan Kenobi. If it hadn't been for you and Qui-Gon, we would all have been lost."

Obi-Wan lowered his head in a display of mild modesty. He tried to change the subject. "Has a successor to the chancellor be named yet?" He couldn't keep the disdain out of his voice at the reference to the Sith's day job.

"A brief meeting was taken by the Senate and Bail Antilles has been named. He had come in second the last time so it really came as no surprise."

"We've had a few too many of those lately."

There was a long pause.

"All this time, he was right here, walking among us," Obi-Wan said, stating the fact that no one had said outloud since Palpatine's true identity had been revealed.

"I had tea with him," Mace said.

"We should count ourselves lucky. I sense the outcome could have been much worse."

"Do you Jedi always dwell on what ifs? Or is this just to pass time?" A third voice said. Callisto limped out onto the balcony with them.

"You shouldn't even be out of bed," Obi-wan said with almost a laugh. Trying to offer Callisto helpful advice was like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

"You should get your hair...oh, you did," Callisto said.

Obi-Wan patted his hair. "I'm no longer a padawan so the braid is no longer required." He noted Mace's subtle retreat back to the inside. "After knighthood, it's optional, though most cut if off right after the trials."

She leaned against the wall for support. "Why did you keep it for so long then?"

"I was too busy for a proper hair cut."

"The truth, Obi-Wan."

He sighed and leaned against the railing, remaining facing her. "I..I just didn't feel I was ready. I know that my training was complete and I had passed the trials, but it felt like it had all happened too fast. I just didn't feel...complete."

"And now you do?"

This time he didn't answer. He just smiled.

Callisto returned it, but it faded in a moment. "I received some interesting news I thought I might share. Apparently there will be no burial for our older Sith acquaintance. A cleanup droid, I was told, took his body as garbage and brought him to the trash incinerator pile."

"A fitting end," Obi-Wan said bitterly.

"I agree. Any word on our other friend?"

"It's too difficult to tell. They did find a few bodies in the wreckage, unfortunately. Most of them were too...damaged...to make identification yet. As soon as we know, you'll be told. Provided of course, we can find you."

Callisto walked farther out to him. "Who said I was going anywhere?"

"I assumed..."

"You assume too much," and with that, she kissed him, surprising both him and herself. She pulled away, shocked by her own actions as much as Obi-wan was. they stood there, just looking at each other, not sure what the next move should be.

Then their lips met again, Obi-Wan's arms, wrapping carefully around her, the cool night air blanketing the two, sharing their embrace.

From inside, Qui-Gon looked up outside at them from where he sat with Shmi.

And he smiled.


The wreckage smoked still, even a days after the fiery explosion that had rocked that part of the city planet.

Above it, the ships had long since resumed their passages through that sector of space. The temple's destruction was little more than something to look at from the business point of view. It cause some gaper's delay, but little else. From high in the sky, it was a black smear and was quickly ignored. The people inside the transports, groaned at the idea of the reconstruction it was sure to cause delays, but it was something that had to be done.

Someone had to lift the rocks. Someone had to clear away the wreckage.

At the base of the structure, someone was.

Rocks tumbled down, smashing into one another, causing tiny avalanches.

A bird paused to watch, curious at this new movement. It heard some grunts and a few pained moans, but then the tiny rockslides began. It hopped closer for further inspection.

A hand rose out of the charred shrapnel, covered in dust and grime. The sudden motion frightened the bird back into the sky.

Slowly and methodically, the hand worked its way out of the fallen temple and back into the world.

There were things that had to be done.


TO BE CONTINUED...


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||