DOWNTIME: Part 2

by:  Judy
Feedback to:  willow_bend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


“Oh shit!”

Obi-Wan leaped up from his floor pallet, his heart pounding. Did that chronometer say what he thought it said? Nearly falling back down when he tripped over his cloak, the young man grabbed for the clock. His shoulders sagged. Yes, he was doomed. “He’s going to kill me!”

06:10.

That’s what the chronometer had been blinking when Obi-Wan had groggily opened his eyes. It had only taken a few moments for the adrenaline to kick in. Now, he rushed around his room grabbing his workout gear. He flew into the bathroom, making no effort to remain quiet.

Amandia sat up slowly, blinking her eyes and glancing about trying to remember where she was. She was in his bed, the Jedi’s. Curses could be heard coming from the bathroom. The next moment, Obi-Wan came back out hopping around on one foot while trying to get uncooperative leggings on.

“Damn.” he kept repeating. The sight was so incongruous with the gallant young rescuer he’d been last night that Amandia had to giggle.

Obi-Wan looked up, a frustrated glare in his eyes. He pointed at her. “Stay here. You’ll be safe. We’ll talk later.”

Amandia just blinked at him, still grinning.

He huffed, then hooked his belt, picked up his cloak and headed out the door.

Obi-Wan could hear her laughter follow him down the corridor.


Obi-Wan screeched to a halt outside the practice room he and Qui-Gon used regularly. He was in for it. He was supposed to have met the Jedi Master at 0600. He was late, but he wouldn’t have been quite as late if he hadn’t had to go back halfway here to retrieve his forgotten lightsaber. Amandia had still been laughing at him. A good morning, this was not.

Qui-Gon was leaning against the wall, arms crossed and eyes closed. They opened as soon as Obi-Wan stepped across the threshhold.

“I was wondering when you would finally get her, Padawan. You’re twenty minutes late.”

“Yes, Master. I apologize for my tardiness.” Obi-Wan knew that there was no use in trying to explain now. Qui-Gon would find out about Amandia soon enough. He noticed that his Master appeared tired, with bags under his eyes and appeared to shifting uncomfortably. “Damned whipped cream.” Obi-Wan wasn’t sure if his Master had spoken that aloud or not, but stifled a chuckle nontheless. It appeared neither of them had gotten much sleep although leave it to Qui-Gon to be punctual no matter what.

“I’m ready for my lesson, Master.” Obi-Wan said. He tried not to yawn. Qui-Gon indicated his apprentice should move to the mat and the workout ensued.


Four hours later, Obi-Wan dragged a very weary body into the quarters he shared with Qui-Gon. His Master had put him through the wringer this morning. Obi-Wan didn’t even want anything to eat--unusual for him. Qui-Gon had decided to go for a swim--something about soothing sore muscles. That was just fine with Obi-Wan, who just wanted to take a nap.

“Ahh,” he sighed as he sank down on the couch in the living area. Maybe he would just stay here for awhile. Not only was he exhausted but he had a couple of singe marks to deal with too. Gods, had he gotten chewed out for that, well, chewed out in his Master’s quiet but deadly serious-puts-fear-in-the-hearts-of-men-and-other-assorted-creatures way.

“Focus, focus, focus.”

Obi-Wan felt himself drifting off.

“Umm...hello?”

His eyes snapped open at the soft voice. Staring down at him was the girl from the night before…Amandia.

“Are you okay?” she asked, observing a scorched part of his tunic.

“Yes,” he groaned as he sat up. “I’ll be fine.” He looked at her for a moment.

“You’re still here?”

“Well, you did tell me to stay put and considering what’s waiting for me out there...” Amandia’s voice trailed off as she watched him climb to his feet. He nodded, then walked stiffly over to the kitchen. He didn’t look pleased.


Now, Amandia began to get worried. She wasn’t sure what to make of the young Jedi. Didn’t he remember how he’d rescued her last night? How they’d talked all night as he tried to calm her down? He’d been so kind...Obi-Wan Kenobi...that was his name. He’d been so kind, she reflected again, and funny. And he’d made her feel safe.

Then this morning, it was like she was seeing a completely different person. Obi-Wan apparently had sensed her discomfort because he smiled at her as he returned from the kitchen. She noticed he was carrying two cups of something.

“Tea?” he asked, his hazel eyes showing some of the spark she had seen last night. He did look tired. She accepted a cup.

“I’m sorry for my behavior just now,” he said, sitting back down on the couch next to her. “It’s just this morning hasn’t exactly gotten off in the best way for me. I was late to a sparring lesson with my Master and he’s a stickler for puntuality, thus the lesson lasted twice as long as it would have. My punishment.”

“It looks like you’ve been tortured or something.” Amandia ventured a smile, then bit her lip.

“Well, let’s just say it was a nice lesson in stamina,” joked Obi-Wan. He grinned ruefully.

“I’m sorry if I...” Amandia began.

“No, it’s not your fault. Don’t worry about it. It was my responsibility to be there on time and I failed. I have faced the consequences--believe me.”

He stood and stretched, his muscles complaining. He groaned. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to take a shower. We’ll discuss your predicament in a bit. We’ll have to fill in my Master on the particulars anyway.”

Once again, his take-charge attitute was firmly in place. Amandia nodded, blushing slightly at the thought of her Jedi in the shower. Her Jedi! Now where had that thought come from?


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||