DOWNTIME: Part 1

by:  Judy
Feedback to:  willow_bend@hotmail.com

Author's Notes:  Qui-Gon has just returned from a welcome massage session with his favorite masseuse Kayla and is enjoying a light dinner with Obi-Wan before "catching up" later that night with some old friends, notably Raven, ElaineMc, Sharon, Tammy, Laura, and Kim, et al. (That's for Qui-Gon's crew. He,he! This story is for Obi-Wan's girls!)



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Well, Master, it'll be good to have some downtime for a change," remarked Obi-Wan Kenobi with a smile as he and his mentor, Qui-Gon Jinn, ate dinner in one of the mess halls serving the Jedi Temple. They had found a quiet table near a window that allowed a nice view of the Coruscant twilight sky.

"Yes, it will, my young Padawan," Qui-Gon breathed in deeply, taking in his surroundings. They were home, finally.

"At least our debriefing with the Council is over," Obi-Wan couldn't resist an unrepentant grin. He could feel his Master's inward grimace. Qui-Gon had developed a slight aversion to going before the Council since the older man usually was called on the carpet for something when required to appear. So although everything on this last mission had gone smoothly, and more importantly, by the Code, Obi-Wan had still offered to go in his Master's place. "I could make the report if you like," he had said. "Seeing as how there really isn't anything to report, other than 'diplomats delivered safely, everyone's happy.' But Qui-Gon had refused, as his apprentice knew he would.

"No, Obi-Wan, although thank you for the offer, but this is part of one's duty as a Jedi Knight. Sometimes you must do things which you may find..." Qui-Gon had grinned down at Obi-Wan's knowing and amused look. "...less than pleasant." But the day apparently had gotten better for his Master, Obi-Wan thought, returning his attention to the present.

The Jedi Master had returned from a massage session in very good spirits. Obi-Wan knew why, but he said nothing, his gaze following that of his Master's---to the Coruscant skyline.

"Yes, my young Padawan," Qui-Gon sighed, sitting back, looking at his apprentice. "At least that is over with."

Amusement shone in his eyes. Obi-Wan knew him too well, Qui-Gon reflected. But he knew his apprentice well too and could tell the young man was eager to be off. Well, they both had some catching up to do with friends and uh, acquaintances. He rose, impossibly graceful for such a large man. Obi-Wan followed his Master's lead. They mirrored each other, with their flowing robes, hands tucked discreetly away, the purposeful yet controlled stride.

Obi-Wan spoke first, "Good night, Master."

Qui-Gon placed a hand on the young man's shoulder. "Good night, my Padawan. I'll see you at 0600. Be ready for a training session."

"No rest for the weary?" Obi-Wan replied, a grin lighting up his face. There was rest and then there was idleness and his Master couldn't stand the latter.

"No, no rest for you, Padawan." Qui-Gon tried to keep a straight face, but his eyes were smiling. Obi-Wan no doubt sensed his Master’s amusement anyway. Qui-Gon nodded, turned and headed for his planned rendezvous. Obi-Wan watched his Master go. 'Does he know that I know where he’s going,' he thought. 'Well, I suppose it really makes no difference, does it?' [No it does not, Padawan.] came the reply. Obi-Wan rolled his eyes, then started off to his quarters to prepare for the evening’s festivities.


Amandia wasn't certain how she wound up outside the Jedi Temple. She had just been running for what felt like forever. Hiding behind a pillar, she dared a peek around. Surely, the person or persons chasing her had not been able to follow her all this way. Wait?…How far had she run exactly? Her heartbeat was pounding in her ears, her breath coming in gasps. She'd never been so scared in all her life.

She squinted in the darkness. She wished she could tell how many were after her, but she’d been too busy trying not to get caught. No one appeared to be out there, but shadows were everywhere thanks to a constant stream of ships above and the towering edifice of the Temple. It stood alone on Coruscant, the other buildings near it looking miniscule in comparison. How had she come to be here? Amandia recognized the Temple from pictures, but she'd never been to this part of the city.

She chanced another brief look, then darted toward an entranceway. The adrenaline was beginning to wear off and her legs were turning rubbery, but something in her spurred her on. She heard footsteps running behind her. 'NO!' she thought. He, she, it…they… still can't be there! She was almost to the door--by the Gods! she thought suddenly, would she even be able to get in? Desperation rose. The footsteps were getting closer and closer. She could feel them. Suddenly, she was at the door, a side entrance. It didn't open. A control panel was to the right. Amandia was gasping now. Tears were forming. No, no, no! Blindly, she pounded on the control panel. Something had to work! Then “whoosh!” the door slid up.

Amandia leaped inside and smack into a solid figure. She fell back, stumbling. Glancing up, she screamed. A robed and hooded figure stood in the doorway. ‘Oh Gods, I’m surrounded!’ was all her fear-clouded mind could think.

Acting purely on instinct, Amandia turned to flee, but before she could move the hooded figure pushed her to the ground. A blue stick of light…a ‘lightsaber’ her mind registered fleetingly…suddenly glowed from out of nowhere and just as suddenly deflected four laserbolts. Two yelps of pain could be heard from the darkness and before Amandia could pick herself up, the task was being done for her as the hooded man dragged her inside. The door hissed down to seal quickly.

Amandia lay on her side just inside the doorway trying to control her rapidly beating heart. The hooded figure bent down and gently touched her shoulder. “Are you okay?” came a cultured voice, but Amandia was still too caught up in fear to notice the gentleness of the touch or the voice. She scrambled blindly away from both.

“Stay away from me!” she screamed. “Don’t touch me!”

“It’s all right, you’re safe now. No one’s going to hurt you.” The voice was soothing. Strong hands gripped her shoulders again and again Amandia just reacted. Striking out, she solidly connected a fist with the person’s jaw.

“Ow!” came the voice inside the hood as the person rose quickly. “Watch it now! I’m not going to hurt you. Honest!” This time the voice was laced with exasperation and his words finally registered with Amandia.

She looked up from her crouched position, her fists still clenched before her. Her wary gaze took in the brown robe and hood. The person wasn’t all that tall really, not on a second look. Not that she’d been paying that much attention the first time around. The person had seemed huge when she had run into him.

Two hands appeared out of the robe and pushed back the hood. A youthful and handsome face was revealed with glimmering hazel-blue eyes. Curiosity shown in them and amusement danced over his face with the hint of smile forming at the corner of his mouth. His hair was spiky on top and a long braid hung to one side.

He reached out a hand to help her up. Without thinking, Amandia took it…something made her trust him…and allowed herself to be pulled up. She couldn’t tear her eyes from his face. He was beautiful. Amandia wouldn’t be able to remember later if she’d spoken that out loud, but regardless, the beautiful man responded.

“Well, beautiful isn’t the word I would choose, especially after that neat right hook you caught me with. How I’m going to explain the bruise, I just don’t know.” His tone was chiding and teasing all at once.

She’d hit him! Amandia realized. Suddenly she couldn’t seem to breathe. She’d never hit anyone before.

“Oh dear…” she said weakly, her hand moving towards his face. Then she promptly fainted.

Obi-Wan Kenobi easily caught the girl. Shaking his head ruefully, he chuckled, “Now, this is a first. Girls falling at my feet.”


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||