ALL MY DAYS ARE DARK: Part 2

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.
Lyrics to "Here With Me" belong to Dido.


Let us alone. What pleasure can we have
To war with evil? Is there any peace
In ever climbing up the climbing wave?
All things have rest, and ripen toward the grave
In silence; ripen, fall and cease:
Give us long rest or death, dark death, or dreamful ease."
~from "The Lotus-Eaters" by Tennyson


Qui-Gon Jinn stepped back into the main chamber of the Jedi Temple.

Inwardly, he sighed. How many times had he been before them on so many different occasions? He had long since lost count. He remembered times of discipline for the things he had done, the times where there had been trouble elsewhere, and the rare commendations. He preferred the first and the third far more than the second. It was for the second he was there.

"You believe trouble there will be?" Yoda asked, stroking his chin. In the past he would have doubted Qui-Gon's suspicions, but experienced had taught him otherwise. The much younger man had proved to be right more often than wrong.

"Yes, Master," Qui-Gon said, nodding. "I wish I had more information to provide, but only one person could provide more answers and at the moment, she is no where to be found."

"Callisto," Mace said.

"Yes," Qui-Gon said. "She returned from her abduction, but has said nothing about what happened." He set his lips together in a thin line. He had not seen her, but Obi-Wan had. Something had clearly happened. *It changed her,* Obi-Wan had said.

"Find her you must," Yoda said. "The key, I sense she is to this matter."

"I'm in agreement with Master Yoda," Oppo Rancsis said. "I sense a disturbance, the same one you all do. It has been growing for some time now. I'm not entirely sure if these two things are related, but I personally am not willing to take the chance."

"I concur," Mace said. "Things have been placed into motion. We must know what they are. Master Jinn, since you have made more progress on the subject than we have, it would be best that you looked into this."

"If possible, I would like the help of Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Mace nodded. "Him as well. Before you go, I ask that you exercise caution. These underworld types are not be trusted and are trained well in the arts of lies and deception. A wrong step could easily result in tragedy. May the Force be with you."

Qui-Gon bowed once and departed.


"This is almost funny how we keep running into each other."

Anakin grinned sheepishly. "Funny in a good way, right?"

Queen Amidala smiled. "Of course. Why wouldn't it be?"

The two strolled together down the halls of the Senate building together, flanked on either side by handmaidens and royal guard. Anakin had just been delivering a message to the Senator from Alderaan that Qui-Gon would be missing a meeting when he had bumped into the Queen... literally. He had been racing out of the building in hopes of catching an earlier transport when he had crashed into her head on, knocking the female sovereign onto the ground. There had been much laughter after everyone had gotten up. Anakin was still blushing even now.

"So, what brings you to Corsucant?" Anakin asked.

"Business. The Gungans have offered up a Senator of their own. Boss Nass decided it would be wise to have a representative of his own people in the government so now his representative will work with our own."

"That's great," Anakin said. "I'm very happy to see how well your people are cooperating with them."

"It pleases me to no end. It truly is a wonderful coming together."

"Coming together is a good thing,," Anakin nodded.

"Yes, it is."

There was an awkward silence for a few moments as other meaning to the sentence were taken in.

"So."

"So."

"I guess, I'll see you later. I mean, I hope I'll see you later. Can I see you later?" Anakin said.

Amidala smiled. "I would like that very much. I plan to stay here for a week."

"That's great," Anakin said, not noticing how eager he sounded. "So, I'll come by later, that is if Qui-Gon doesn't have anything for me to do." Oh, he hoped he wouldn't have to do anything.

"I hope so. Good bye, Anakin."

"Good by Amidala. I mean, Your Highness." He quickly trotted down the hall.

It took a few minutes for Amidala to register the grin she had on her face. It was only when she looked at Sache's smirk did she realize it."

"What?" the Queen asked crisply and slightly embarrassed. The she quickly walked forward as her handmaiden's exchanged meaningful glances.


Qui-Gon folded an extra robe and casually tossed it in bag as Obi-Wan leaned against a wall, watching.

"So where are we going, exactly?" Obi-Wan asked.

"I thought Rodia might be a good start, seeing how it is exactly where the trouble started," Qui-Gon said, poking around his things, looking for a communicator he had misplaced.

"Are you sure that is wise? We will stick out rather badly there."

"I know. It is what I am hoping for. We may draw out involved parties or at least those attached to them. Either way, we will get some kind of answers."

Obi-Wan agreed silently. "Will Anakin be accompanying us on this mission?"

"No. "

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow. "Strange."

"Ha!" Qui-Gon said as he found the missing communicator and placed it in his bag. Without turning around, he addressed his former apprentice. "Why is this strange?"

"You never sought to protect me from dangerous missions. Why him?"

Qui-Gon smiled warmly. "That's not true Obi-Wan. I did once do the same thing."

Interested, Obi-Wan got up from his lean and walked closer. "When was that?"

"Do you remember when you were about is age and sent you on a vacation?"

"Yes. I went to Alderaan with a few friends for two weeks. Now that I think of it, I didn't now where you were."

"I was on Malastare... on a mission preventing an attack."

"You never told me."

"I didn't want to. At the time, you were still unprepared for the types of people I would be encountering. Death was literally all around me and you were still very bold. Discretion was the key there. I didn't want to chance losing you there while you were still unprepared."

"Yes, but why did you never tell me?"

Qui-Gon shrugged. "It never came up."

"I don't believe you."

"Believe what you will." He opted to change the subject. "Any word from Callisto?"

Dejected, Obi-Wan looked at the ground. "Nothing. Her usual haunts have showed no sign of her and her contacts have nothing to offer."

Qui-Gon looked down as well. He had been hoping to hear differently, both for the sake of the mission and for his friend. This proved what he already knew: that something was terribly wrong.

"I'm sure she will turn up soon, Obi-Wan. She always does."

"She has never been gone this long."

"I know."


A black leather gloved hand silently swung the door open.

He stepped into the room, looking around quietly.

The room was a mess. Things were thrown about in complete disarray, almost if a fight had taken place. None had as far as he could sense. the whole place had the air of flight about it.

Had she known he would be coming? No, that was impossible. She couldn't know. The only one who would know would be his master and there was no chance of that option.

So, she had packed up and left. Why? Had she known anything about what was taking place? Had the fool who had betrayed her said anything before he was killed? Perhaps the man she had slain in battle had spoken before she cut him down.

He didn't like this. There were too many "what ifs" at play here. He had to narrow them down quickly. He had to find her and deal with her as the situation permitted.

Under the hood, he smiled.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||