THE DAUGHTER

by:  Kim Drago
Feedback to:  dlkp@netscape.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


  Obi-Wan woke up screaming from his usual nightmare. Qui-Gon slain by the Sith beast. Only this time the energy fields weren't holding him back.

  He just stood there not helping him. Then it was Qui-Gon's demise that woke him up as usual.

  Obi-Wan sat up, wiping sweat off his brow. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Pulling himself together, he told the person to come in.

  The door opened and little Skywalker came rushing in. "Master! Are you alright?"

  "Yes, Anakin, I'm fine."

  "Was it the nightmare?"

  Obi-Wan nodded.

  "You can't keep worrying about it, Master. It wasn't your fault."

  Obi-Wan forced a smile. "Thank you, my young Padawan, but I'm afraid it's very late and we need to resume your training tomorrow morning."

  "Padme will wonder what happened."

  "Tell her the usual."

  "Yes, Master, goodnight."

  "Goodnight, Anakin."

  And he left. Obi-Wan sighed. The boy was right. It's time that he stopped blaming himself. Still, if only.no, no more "if only's", no more "what ifs", it was over and done with.


  It was very early in the morning when Anakin ran into Obi-Wan's room. "Master! Master!" He shook him. "Master wake up!"

  Obi-Wan's eyes reluctantly opened. "What is it?"

  "There's been a huge crash! Someone was hurt! We may need your Jedi Healing." Obi-Wan sat up. "How bad is it?"

  "Bad."

  Immediately, the Jedi Knight stood up from the bed. He looked at his Padawan. "Is Padme there?"

  Anakin nodded.

  "Tell her I will be there shortly."

  "Yes, Master." He rushed out of the room.

  Obi-Wan sighed and began to get dressed.


  When Obi-Wan got to the courtyard of the Theed Palace, he immediately saw the ship. It was a Nubian, battered, broken, and half of it was on

  fire. He looked around but he couldn't find anyone who looked to be injured. Anakin ran up to him.

  "Anakin, who's been injured?"

  "A girl, Master."

  "Where is she?"

  Anakin pointed to the Queen's throne room. Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows. He followed the young boy there. Once they got inside, there was a large crowd. Padme (or in this case, Queen Amidala) looked up at Obi-Wan. She walked up quickly to him.

  "Thank goodness you're here," she said. She placed her hands on his shoulders.

  "What happened?"

  The Queen frowned and pointed to the crowd. Obi-Wan strode to it. The crowd saw him and opened a path for him. He gasped when he saw the girl. She looked strikingly familiar. He didn't remember where he saw her before. But he did remembered seeing her before. It must have been a while.

  He knelt next to her. Her face had blood patches as well as bruises along her body. She was knocked out cold. He tilted her head a little.

  He looked up at the mob. "Get back. Back away."

  The Queen pushed the crowd back. Anakin came up to him and knelt beside him.

  "Is she going to be okay?"

  "I'm not sure." He placed his hands on her head. He closed his eyes and felt the Force flowing through him. The Healing power was coming out of his hands and onto the girl's skin. He felt the blood patches disappear. He glided his hands up and down her body, making sure to get every injury that was inflicted on her. When he was done, he opened his eyes and looked down at her.

  She looked so much like Qui-Gon. Her straight, light brown hair spreading across the floor. She had his skin, his face; even her mind was Qui-Gon's. Qui-Gon did have a daughter, but Obi-Wan knew it wasn't her because she died long ago.

  "How come she's not waking up?" Anakin asked.

  "It will take a few minutes."

  And it did take a few minutes before the girl woke up. She slowly opened her eyes. She looked around a little bit.

  "Where am I?" she said, stuttering somewhat.

  "You're on the sovereign system of Naboo." Obi-Wan answered.

  She turned her head to him. Her eyes suddenly widened. "Obi-Wan?"

  This took Obi-Wan by surprise. This couldn't be her. He looked up at the crowd. "Can we be excused please?" he asked. "The Queen and Anakin may remain."

  Everyone nodded and they left the throne room.

  Obi-Wan looked back at the girl. "Yes, I am Obi-Wan."

  "Oh my. whoa! I can't believe it. I thought I was never going to see you again!"

  "Who are you?" Anakin asked before Obi-Wan could.

  She gave him a surprised look. "Why, I'm Kala Jinn. I'm Qui-Gon's daughter."

  Anakin's eyes almost bulged out of his sockets. The Queen lowered herself down on the floor.

  "Qui-Gon never told us about a daughter."

  "You didn't know Qui-Gon that long enough for you to know about me. Also, I have been presumed dead for quite a long time." She looked at Obi-Wan. "It's really good to see you, Obi-Wan."

  Obi-Wan was speechless. "N-now, if you don't mind Your Highness, I would like you to excuse us. You, too, Anakin."

  "Yes, Master." He got up. He started to walk out when he turned around. "Are you coming, Your Majesty?"

  The Queen nodded and stood up. She followed Anakin out of her throne room. When the door closed, Obi-Wan threw his arms around Kala Jinn.

  She hugged him back. "You didn't recognize me at first."

  "Well, it's been so long," he replied holding back tears. "We thought you were dead. After that battle on Versa 5."

  "I was dead," Kala interrupted, letting go of him. "I was dead. But, somehow, the Versans found me and they took me to the Jedi Council. I stayed there until the Jedi could resurrect me. It took them a long time, I can tell you that. I stayed there until all my strength came back. Then I left to find you and Father."

  "How long ago was that?"

  "About 5 years."

  "Oh Sith! Why did your ship crash?"

  "I'm not sure. It was on autopilot and I guess it broke. It was on a course for Naboo. I wanted to see you and Father."

  Obi-Wan hesitated. Did she not know about Qui-Gon's death? "Kala, how much of the Force do you have in you?"

  Kala shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I had enough to know that you were here. While I was at the Jedi Council, they refused to retrain because I was "too old"." Her face turned to concern. "Why? Did something happen? Where's Father?"

  "I'll show you."


  Obi-Wan led Kala to the place where Qui-Gon died. She looked down the bottomless pit.

  "Long way down," she commented.

  "Yes, it is."

  She looked around some more. "So where's Father? You told me he would be here."

  Obi-Wan motioned to the empty spot where he died. She looked at it, then realized what he meant. She shook her head in disbelief.

  "No, no, it can't be. Obi-Wan, tell me it's not true."

  All Obi-Wan could do was nod.

  Kala still shook her head. She walked over to the spot where he died. She dropped to her knees. She closed her eyes.

  After a minute, her eyes snapped open. She took sharp breaths. She turned to Obi-Wan with tears in her eyes. "W-when d-did this happen?"

  Obi-Wan took a deep breath. "Six months ago."

  "Sith, why didn't I feel it?"

  Obi-Wan walked up to her and sat next to her. "You said that the Jedi Council wouldn't train you again. Maybe you couldn't feel it, then."

  "But I was in space for 5 years, surely-"

  "I'm sorry, Kala."

  She shook her head again. "This is something that I cannot accept. This is something that I cannot accept." She hid her face in her hands, bursting into tears.

  Obi-Wan put her arms comfortingly around her. She twisted her body and threw her arms around his stomach. He cradled her head gently and slowly rocked her back and forth. He could feel her tears sinking into his robes. Sinking into his heart and soul.

  Before he knew it, he was crying along with her. He never knew that he would be mourning over Qui-Gon Jinn with his daughter Kala Jinn. It had been years since he saw her. Qui-Gon had always talked about her. He wondered if she was one with the Force. If she really did come back from the dead and resumed her training. It didn't matter now. What mattered now was that he was holding her in his arms, mourning over the one person they loved so much.


  "I'm sorry, Obi-Wan." Kala said as she sat down on a bench next to him.

  "Why? There's nothing to be sorry for."

  "I know, but that whole time, that whole 5 years, I wasn't able to find you. I tried my best to use the Force but it always made my head hurt."

  "I can't say I understand what that feels like."

  "Then don't." She made a deep sigh. "I just wish there was something I could have that would remind me of him. Since you already burned his body, I guess there isn't anything."

  Obi-Wan hesitated. Then he smiled. "I have the perfect thing. Since I just got a new one from the Council, I guess Qui-Gon would have wanted you to have this."

  She gave him a puzzled look.

  Obi-Wan took Qui-Gon's lightsaber from his belt. He looked at it and handed it to Kala Jinn. She took it in her hands.

  "Father's lightsaber?"

  Obi-Wan nodded. Kala shook her head. "Oh, Obi-Wan, I don't know-"

  "He would wanted you to have it if he knew you were alive."

  Kala sniffled. "T-thank you, Obi-Wan." She looked up at the sky. "Thank you, Father." She rested her head on his shoulder. She noticed Anakin playing in the grass with an astromech droid. The little droid whirled into circles following the little boy. "Who is that boy?"

  Obi-Wan smiled. "Anakin Skywalker. The Chosen One."

  She took her head off of his shoulder and stared at him. "The One who will bring balance to the Force?"

  Obi-Wan nodded.

  "Wow. How did you come by him?"

  "It's a very long story, and Qui-Gon was the one that came by him."

  "Oh, I see." She stood up. "Is he being trained?"

  "Yes, I'm his Master."

  Kala raised her eyebrows. "How far is he?"

  "Farther than I had been when I was being trained."

  Kala chuckled. "That's very hard to believe."

  Obi-Wan smirked. He stood up, and took her hands, and pulled her to her feet.

  "Where are we going?"

  "I am going to show you the Chosen One in training."


  "Anakin! Right hand!"

  Anakin scowled and switched his lightsaber to his right hand. Kala laughed. Obi-Wan rolled his eyes.

  "Oh, I'd like to see you try!"

  Kala raised her eyebrow. She walked up to him and was inches from his face. "Is that a challenge."

  Obi-Wan sneered menacingly at her. "Absolutely."

  Kala nodded. She took out her lightsaber. Obi-Wan grinned. Anakin started to jump up and down.

  "Oh, this is gonna be good!"

  "Ani," Obi-Wan called, "could you please leave the ring?"

  "No problem!" He immediately stepped out.

  "Are you sure you want to do this?" Obi-Wan asked Kala as she ignited her lightsaber.

  "Well, I want to feel the Force inside me. This is really the only time that I can find out."

  Obi-Wan shrugged. He ignited his lightsaber. A bright blue blade appeared. He made the first move to her right. She blocked it with lightning speed. She swung the green blade to meet his. He put all his strength into the block. But Kala was surprisingly stronger. She pushed him with her eyes. He flew back and hit his back against the safety mat. He let out a sharp cough. He looked up and saw her standing over him. She smiled, placing a foot onto his chest.

  "Well, I guess I still have the Force in me."

  "That you do," Obi-Wan said. "Sith, are you sure you don't have the Force in you?"

  "I said I wasn't sure. I didn't say, I didn't have any in me."

  "I'll say you do!" Anakin's voice came.

  Kala lifted her foot and Obi-Wan jumped from his back to his feet. Anakin ran to Kala.

  "Can you teach me to do that?"

  Kala grinned. "I could try." She turned to Obi-Wan. "If your Master doesn't mind."

  Obi-Wan shook his head. "Please, be my guest. Maybe this boy can actually learn something."

  Anakin stuck his tongue out at him. "Hey! I've learned a lot!"

  "Yes, I know, young Padawan. On your own time though. Not when I want you to."

  Anakin shrugged in innocence. Then he looked at Kala. "So are you going to teach me how to do that?"

  Kala nodded. "Sure, why not?"

  Anakin squealed in delight.


  "Ok! Show me!"

  "Alright, little one!" Kala laughed at his impatience. She touched his forehead. "You need to focus on your actions. Feel, don't think, use your instincts."

  Anakin laughed. "That's exactly what Qui-Gon told me before I had to pod race."

  Kala smiled. "And did you win the Pod Race?" He nodded. "Then Qui-Gon's advice works doesn't it?" He nodded again. "Now try your test. Force Pushing is very difficult the first time."

  "What do you do?"

  "What do you want to push?"

  Anakin looked around. He pointed to a small mat. "That."

  Kala looked at it and smiled. "Very well. Close your eyes and feel the Force flowing through you."

  Anakin closed his eyes. He lifted his hand towards the mat. He raised his hand a little farther and the mat started to move. It moved back and forth, up and down.

  Kala watched wide-eyed. She turned her head to Obi-Wan. He smiled at her.

  'You're a great teacher,' he sent in her mind.

  Kala almost cheered in joy to realize that she could communicate telepathically. Anakin opened his eyes and saw that the mat was moving. He squealed in delight.

  "I did it! I-"

  Before he could finish his sentence, the mat went out of control. Kala ducked and it swerved inches over her head. The mat swung around again

  and smacked Obi-Wan in the face. He flew backward five feet and slammed his head against the floor.

  Kala quickly grabbed the mat with two hands when it came back to her. It stopped at her touch and flopped to the floor. Kala and Anakin ran to Obi-Wan who was lying on his back. Kala dropped to her knees to get a better look at him.

  His eyes were shut and there was a slight bruise on the side of his head.

  "Obi-Wan?" she said.

  "Master?" Anakin echoed. He was going to shake him, but Kala took his arm.

  "No, wait. He'll be awake soon."

  "How do you know?"

  Kala shrugged. "I don't know. I just do."

  "I-I think the Force is fully in you now." Obi-Wan said with his eyes still closed.

  Anakin grinned, as did Kala. She helped Obi-Wan to his feet. He gritted his teeth as he fully stood up.

  "Are you alright, Master?" Anakin asked.

  Obi-Wan nodded, touching his forehead lightly, wincing at his fingers.

  "That was quite a blow, Padawan."

  Anakin blushed. "I didn't mean to. I don't know what happened."

  "I do," said Kala. She lowered her eyes at the boy. "You weren't concentrating. You let your achievement go to your head."

  Anakin lowered his head. "I'm sorry."

  Kala placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's fine, young Padawan."

  Obi-Wan nodded. "Why don't we take a break for a bit? Ani, you can go."

  "Can I visit Padme`?" he asked, with hope in his voice.

  "Yes, if she wants a visit."

  "Yes!" And he trotted out the door.

  Obi-Wan sighed. "He sure cares about that girl," he murmured.

  "Well, we all care about people," Kala added, nudging his arm.

  Obi-Wan smiled. He took her hand. "Come on, I want to show you something."


  Obi-Wan led Kala to a place where Qui-Gon spent some of his time. She gasped when she saw it.

  "Oh, Obi-Wan! It's beautiful!" And it was beautiful. The valley was wide and it was the blooming season for the lilacs. Kala walked around a bit, looking all over the place. She closed her eyes. "Father's been here," she said after opening them again.

  Obi-Wan smiled. "Yes. He spent some of his time here, meditating and what not."

  Kala grinned. Obi-Wan cleared his throat. He walked closer to her.

  "Uh, Kala. Before the battle at Versa 5, I never really had a chance to say what I always wanted to say."

  "I know, Obi-Wan. I know."

  Obi-Wan stared at her. "How do you.?"

  She turned around to meet his eyes. "I was trained as a Jedi, Obi-Wan and I had heard your feelings. Well, some of them anyway."

  Obi-Wan smiled. "Can you hear my thoughts now?"

  There was a silence. And Kala nodded, grinning. "Yes, I can hear them."

  Obi-Wan knelt before her. "Kala, I want you to marry me. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to grow old with you. I want to spend the rest of this life and the next Jedi life with you. I know Master would have wanted this. Please, Kala Jinn, will you marry me?"

  Kala gasped. Apparently she didn't know what he was thinking. Either that or she didn't know he was going to say all of that.

  "Yes, Obi-Wan Kenobi," she said finally. "Yes, I will."


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||