COMPARE AND CONTRAST: Part 1

by: Elaine Mc
Feedback to: elainemc@burkittsville.org

Author's Notes:  For Julia, who asked about an Obi-Wan/Anakin story.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to write that.  Still, we do what we can.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The Jedi stood in the doorway, arms folded into his sleeves. The many windows lining the corridor showed the Coruscant skyline, slowly darkening, providing the starry heavens as a backdrop. His expressive blue eyes surveyed the room, seeking his master. And, finding him, Obi-Wan Kenobi said, in his quiet, cultured voice, "I may burst into tears."

Qui-Gon Jinn looked up. "Well, don't do it in the hall. Come in, Obi-Wan."

His former apprentice did so, pulling his cloak off and tossing it on the back of the sofa before collapsing. "I can't believe I'm this tired. He's just a little boy."

"Mmmm." Qui-Gon went back to his reading pad. "Worn out, are you?"

"Exhausted." He glanced over at his master, who was apparently fascinated with a report. "The situation on Delagdry?"

"Yes. There's tea, if you like."

"I like." But he made no more to get it.

*A very bad day, then,* Qui-Gon diagnosed. Not entirely unwilling, he set aside his work, and moved to the sideboard to pour Obi-Wan a cup of hot tea, then refilled his own cup. He took a seat beside Obi-Wan on the sofa. "Here you are."

"Thank you, Master."

"What happened?"

"Nothing, really. That's what's so awful. It was a perfectly normal day. One in a string of them, I suppose."

"Mmmm."

"He asks the most impossible questions. He never sits still. He always wants to know something, or to do something, or to say something. We'll be going on our first assignment in two days, Master, and I can't imagine what I'm going to do. The trip itself will be nearly eighteen hours. Eighteen hours, with a hyperactive child." Obi-Wan shuddered.

"Mmmm."

"I know what you're thinking?"

"Oh?"

"You're thinking of every time I ever asked one question too many after a long day. You're thinking of every time I did something entirely inappropriate or strikingly self-destructive. You're thinking of the time with the Andorian ambassador's son. And you're thinking, Serve him right."

"You're a wise man."

Obi-Wan sat straight up, then, eyes slightly wild. Qui-Gon regarded him with a slightly quizzical expression, serene and untroubled. The younger man smiled, ruefully. "I don't feel as if I were. That's the worst, you know: I feel as if I'm completely and utterly not up to the work. Isn't there some training for this, Master? Some class to take, in Jedi Masterhood, perhaps? Some meditation that will provide me with wisdom and knowledge?"

"No, Obi-Wan."

"Didn't think so." Obi-Wan sank back again. "Master?"

"Yes?"

"Did you ever feel like that? As if you were entirely unqualified for your work?"

"Did I? Let's see... no, not often."

Obi-Wan sighed.

Qui-Gon considered. "Only once or twice a day during the entire time you were my apprentice, I suppose."

Without sitting up again, Obi-Wan turned his head to look at the Master in shock. "Every day?"

"Mm-hmm."

"The entire time?"

"When the Sith... impaled me," Qui-Gon said, thoughtfully, "I remember very clearly my thought on the subject."

"I can't wait to hear this."

"As I faced my death, I thought to myself, 'Oooops. Didn't see that coming.' "

Obi-Wan blinked. Qui-Gon's face was bland.

The younger man snickered, then sobered, horrified. "I'm sorry, Master. It isn't funny--"

"Well, it wasn't at the time," Qui-Gon agreed. "But there's a certain amount of humour in it now." He glanced at Obi-Wan. "I can see you're not convinced. It's been-- what? nearly six months, now?-- I've had plenty of time to see my mistakes. My over-confidence almost cost me my life; your competence saved it." The words 'thank you' remained unspoken; but were expressed, nonetheless.

Obi-Wan took a sip of his tea.

"My point is, we are mortal, and fallible, my friend. You have many new and exciting mistakes ahead of you. Get used to it."

"Master?"

"Yes?"

"Please stop reassuring me."

Qui-Gon chuckled.

The next instant, the door slid open again, and a rather damp Anakin Skywalker, fresh from an evening children's swim time, rushed in. Obi-Wan twitched slightly.

"Hi, Master Qui-Gon! Master Obi-Wan, I had a wizard time! Master Tsanah let me go on the diving board, and, boy, did I make a splash. I kinda belly-flopped, though. Still, I made a big splash. A really big splash."

"I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourself so much," Qui-Gon said, as soon as the child paused. "It's nearly your bedtime, though. Go and wash, and then a snack, and then bed." *For all of us,* he sent to Obi-Wan.

Anakin was outraged. "Wash up? But I've been in the pool for ages!"

"Now, Ani," Obi-Wan said, firmly.

"Yes, Master," was the meek reply. He bowed, then and hurried off. He was back in a few minutes, face pink from scrubbing. Obi-Wan had set a plate of biscuits and a glass of milk on the low table before the sofa; Ani helped himself, then climbed up next to his Master, suppressing a yawn.

"Looks as if everyone's had a long day," Qui-Gon said.

"Y'hv no idea," Ani managed, around a mouthful.

"Manners," Obi-Wan murmured.

Ani swallowed, then took a drink of milk. "It's been busy, sir."

"That's the life of a Jedi," Qui-Gon said. "Sometimes, the busiest days happen right here at the Temple," he added, meditatively.

"Oh?" Ani asked. He leaned forward a little, recognising the note in the older Jedi's voice. Obi-Wan slumped; he knew what was coming, too.

"Absolutely. In fact, one of my busier days came about thanks to your master."

Ani grinned widely. The hour or so before bedtime, when he sat with both the Jedi, being talked to as if he were a grown-up, was probably his favourite time of day. And best of all were the times when Qui-Gon told stories about when Master Obi-Wan was a padawan. Hearing those stories made him respect and admire his Master even more, in fact; if Obi-Wan Kenobi, one of the Temple's finest Jedi, could make such mistakes and still be so wonderful, surely Ani himself could turn out well.

"How old were you, Obi-Wan? Nine or so, I suppose-- you'd been my student for less than a year, I remember that clearly; it was the most hectic year of my life."

"But this past year, sir, you almost--" Anakin cut himself off.

"Almost died, yes." Qui-Gon finished his sentence gently, but firmly, not wanting the boy to brood. "But trust me, Ani-- a near-death experience is easy to bear, compared to bringing up your Master...."


Part 1    Part 2

Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||