MISSION TO CALLODAS: Part 7

by:  Padawan Zol-Tan
Feedback to:  zoltan@wattosjunkyard.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


N.B. Thoughts indicated by // and Italics


Obi-Wan returned to the rebels with his heart pounding in excitement. Outside, the stars had come out and the only light was a faint grayness in the west. It was time to move. The little girl met him at the door, her huge gray eyes ablaze.

“Is it time?” she piped, barely able to control her excitement.

“Yes,” said Obi-Wan, trying to set a good example with a calm facade. “Just let me make a quick announcement, then we’ll go.”

She tugged on his sleeve as he turned to go. “When we do, will you walk with me?”

The question caught Obi-Wan by surprise. He looked down at the child, who stared back with hopeful enthusiasm. He couldn’t see how it would hurt, and he hated to disappoint the one genuinely cheerful person he had to talk to.

“All right,” he said kindly. “I’ll be back in just a minute.”

As he entered the cavern, a path was cleared for him to the middle of the crowd. It was scarcely necessary to use the lightsaber, but he felt it was expected. As he held the glowing beacon over his head, a subdued and worried silence fell.

Obi-Wan swallowed, still not quite accustomed to being the center of so many people’s attention.

“It’s time for the big evacuation,” he said. “This is probably going to be the most difficult part of this rebellion. We’ll have to stay perfectly quiet because we’ll be leaving the tunnels for a time. We’ll also have to keep out of sight. I’ve been told we can have everyone moved in only an hour or two, but we can’t afford to; we’re going to take our time and concentrate on not getting caught. The move will probably take all night, but we cannot allow ourselves to get clumsy. Where’s Garret?” The rebel stepped forward.

“This man will show you where to go.” He glanced pointedly at Garret, who bowed mockingly. “You are to obey him implicitly and can trust him with your lives. We will operate the same way we did this morning. In five minutes Garret and I will take the first group. Meet us at the door.”

As the crowd began to assemble their children and elderly, Obi-Wan and Garret walked back to the door side by side.

“Are you up to this?” asked Obi-Wan abruptly.

“I guess I’d better be,” said Garret. “You didn’t give me much of a choice.”

“That’s because I knew how you would have chosen if I had,” replied Obi-Wan curtly.

“If we both survive this, I’m going to beat the Force right outa you, Jedi,” snarled Garret.

“You’re welcome to try. I’m glad to see you becoming so optimistic about this.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, pardon me if I’m mistaken, but yesterday I don’t believe you would even have considered our survival.”

“Shut up,” Garret grumbled.

In spite of himself, Obi-Wan smirked.

The little girl met them at the door. One by one other children appeared along with a few old women and men. Briefly, Obi-Wan caught sight of Corena, who smiled at him. When the last of the group had appeared, Obi-Wan gathered them together.

“This is the plan,” he said, careful to speak slowly and clearly for the benefit of some of the older refugees. “We’ll all go together to the end of the passages. At that point, Garret and I will take three or four of you at a time to our new camp. It is vital that during that part of the evacuation that everyone do exactly as ordered and stay perfectly silent, even those who are waiting. It will be tedious, but please try to be patient and stay still once you’re at the door. Let’s go.”

He led the way down the tunnels, falling unconsciously into step with Garret, who looked at him with a look of what might almost have been approval.

Obi-Wan felt an eddy in the Force and looked down as the little girl grabbed his hand. He had never really noticed before, but the girl almost radiated Force potential.

“Um, how old are you, er...” He had also never learned her name, he realized.

“I’m KeRaad,” she said proudly, “and I’m eight years old.”

//Too bad,// he thought. //If the Council had found her two years ago, she could have been trained. She would have made a good Jedi.//

Aloud he said, “I’m pleased to meet you, KeRaad. I’m Obi-Wan Kenobi, but you already knew that. You can call me Obi-Wan if you like,” he added, trying to sound calm and mature, but feeling very awkward; he had never been very good with children, even when he had been one himself. “Where are your parents?” He asked casually, then regretted it immediately as the girl’s thin shoulders sagged and her eyes went dark.

“Oh,” said Obi-Wan. “I’m sorry.” He didn’t know what else to say. He had never expected that the girl would be an orphan. Her parents must have been killed in the last attempt at rebellion . He groped for words, but nothing appropriate came to mind. He wondered if he should bend down and embrace the child or if she would rather he just left her alone for awhile. Obi-Wan squeezed the little hand in his, hoping it would serve as a comforting gesture.

“It’s okay,” she said after a while, even though they both knew it wasn’t. She tried to smile and change the subject.

“What’s it like being a Jedi?” she asked, wiping her eyes.

“Well, it’s ... it’s kind of hard to explain,” he stuttered. He hated that question. He’d been asked it many times by many people, but the could never find the words to describe it. “It’s like having another pair of eyes. You can see what can happen in the future and what people are thinking. You also ... well, you’ve heard of the Force?” She nodded. “That’s like ... like being connected to everything and everyone, especially yourself. We’re taught to use the Force only to help people or defend ourselves, because you can’t have a power that great without great responsibility.” He’d have to remember that one for the next time someone asked The Question. “We’re trained to be in tune with the Force so we can use it and obey it.”

“You mean it tells you what to do?”

“In a way,” he said, awkwardly. “the Force has ... an idea of what the future should be, I suppose. The Jedi are here to make sure the right things happen so the future turns out right ... um, sort of.”

“So you control peoples’ lives?”

“No!” Obi-Wan felt hopeless. “We just ... do what we can to follow the path the Force lays out for us, and advise people to take the wisest course of action for them; we cannot control other people’s lives; we take vows against it.

“Besides, the will of the Force is that good is done and things stay balanced, not that people get into trouble or do things that aren’t good for them.”

“So what does the Force want me to do?” asked KeRaad, eyeing Obi-Wan testily.

“Um ...” he said, “well, I guess it wants you to do what you know is right.”

“That’s stupid,” said the girl moodily. “I already knew that.”

“Then I guess you’re already doing what the Force wants you to do.” Obi-Wan realized he’d better change the subject before he dug himself into an even deeper hole. With a pang of remorse he wished Qui-Gon were there.

“So, um,” he began desperately. What kind of thing would interest a little girl, he wondered. “What kind of music do you like?”

//Lame, Obi-Wan,// he scolded himself. //Very lame.//

“Can I see your laser sword?” she asked, completely ignoring his question.

“Uh, no. No. It’s too dangerous. Sorry.” He would have to try again. “Ever been to another planet?”

“No,” she answered quickly. “Are you a slave?”

“What?” That one had taken him completely off guard.

“Well, you said you have a master, so you must be a slave.”

Obi-Wan chuckled nervously. “No, I’m not a slave. I’m an Apprentice. My Master is the person who teaches me everything I need to know in order to be a Master myself someday. I go everywhere with him and he instructs me.”

“Oh.” Finally KeRaad seemed satisfied.

“Well, we’re close to the exit now, so we’d best stop talking. It’s been a pleasure speaking with you, KeRaad.” He bowed politely.

“It’s been a pleasure, Obi-Wan,” she said solemnly and bowed back. Obi-Wan fought the urge to smile.

The party stopped at the door. Not a word was spoken as Obi-Wan picked out four children, KeRaad among them, to make the first trip. He leaned over to Garret.

“You lead,” he whispered. “I’ll bring up the rear.”

Garret nodded and slowly pushed open the door. The world outside was nearly pitch black and completely silent. Cautiously, the group stepped out into the cool night air and began weaving their way slowly through the streets.

Obi-Wan stretched out around them with the Force, searching for guards who might be a threat. There were only a few nearby, and Obi-Wan delicately touched their minds, directing their attention away from the rebels.

Garret led them onward for several minutes, pausing occasionally to get his bearings. Soon they came to the door of a small dilapidated house. Garret climbed the front steps in a low crouch, motioning for the rest of them to stop. Obi-Wan watched curiously as Garret’s fingers searched the side of the doorframe. Obi-Wan saw Garret’s hand pause and twist slightly, as though he were turning a key or knob.

An eternity passed, then the door opened a fraction of an inch. It had been hard for Obi-Wan to adjust to non-electric doors, but he was slowly growing accustomed to the swinging motion and the crack of light appearing from the side of the frame instead of the middle or bottom. //One thing I can say for them,// he thought, //is that they’re certainly quiet.//

Garret whispered something into the crack and the door opened wider. They were all ushered inside. As soon as the door closed behind them, they were greeted by a bearded middle-aged man who embraced Garret warmly.

“My cousin,” explained Garret. They were shown down a dusty flight of stairs and into a low-ceilinged basement that stretched out much farther than the perimeter of the house above.

“How do you know this is safe?” asked Obi-Wan. “It seems a little obvious.”

“I don’t,” answered Garret. “But my cousin’s pretty smart -- almost as smart as my sister. Plus, he’s on pretty good terms with the Government, and he’s got some good connections. We’re safer here than we are anywhere else.”

“Good enough, I suppose,” said Obi-Wan. “You stay here with the children. I’ll go back for the next group.”

“You sure you won’t get lost or something?”

“Trust me. I’m a Jedi.”

“Fine. Turn the key behind the doorframe when you get back.”

Obi-Wan left musing. He’d like to get to know this cousin of Garret’s; anyone who could get away with hugging Garret had to be quite a person.


Throughout the night, Obi-Wan and Garret took turns escorting various groups of rebels into the safety of the cousin’s basement. Obi-Wan didn’t want to admit it to himself, but he was weakening. His excited energy had long since run out and his steps became less sure as the night wore on. He was dizzy, his stomach ached with hunger, and the faces of his allies tended to blur before his eyes.

Still, the Padawan forced himself on, making himself be careful and keep his constant connection to the Force. Somehow he kept going, guiding the rebels to their new fortress, keeping them silent and calm even though he had to consciously force his breathing to be quiet and even.

It was a struggle to evacuate the wounded quietly. Many threatened to give them away with groans as they were carried awkwardly through the rough streets. Obi-Wan walked beside them, calming them with the Force, asking them silently to be still and quiet until they could reach the shelter.

Eventually, although it seemed an eternity, the wounded rebels were safely hidden and Obi-Wan returned to the cave for Qui-Gon. He went alone, for the others had spent the night in fear and deserved a rest.

Obi-Wan smothered a yawn as he hoisted his Master onto his shoulders. This time Qui-Gon remained conscious, although the tightness of his muscles told Qui-Gon that the Jedi was still in great pain. Even so, the Padawan felt extra Force-strength filling him as he staggered under Qui-Gon’s weight. He plodded doggedly through the streets, scarcely bothering to be silent. He focused only on putting one foot in front of the other and breathing deeply.

Suddenly, Qui-Gon shouted a warning into Obi-Wan’s mind, and the Padawan heard booted feet approaching rapidly from all directions. He must have stumbled or scuffed his boot heel against the pavement without noticing. He was still too far away from the refuge to make it in time, even if he could run, which he doubted, and he was too weary to win if he fought. His only remaining choice was to hide himself and Qui-Gon until they could escape.

Obi-Wan set Qui-Gon down in the deep shadow beside a nearby porch and pasted himself up against the adjoining wall, wrapping his cloak around him to hide his pale warrior’s robes. His breathing was heavy and loud and he struggled to control it while Qui-Gon mentally shielded them, throwing the approaching guards psychic hints that they should search the other side of the street first.

Obi-Wan’s mind raced as the soldiers began searching. He didn’t think he could get himself and Qui-Gon off the street without being seen or heard, and he couldn’t stay hidden much longer. Maybe he could manage a distraction that would divert the guards to another street and give himself time to escape with his Master. His heart sank. Even with his full powers, it would have been difficult, but in his current state it was impossible.

He was about to give up and let himself be taken and hope someone would notice his absence and send a search party. Then at least Qui-Gon would be safe. He drew a deep breath, and his hand went to his lightsaber. He would not be captured or killed without a fight. Then someone tapped him on the shoulder.

Obi-Wan froze and slowly looked over to see who it was that stood beside him. It was Garret. Obi-Wan could have wept for sheer relief. With Garret there, he might have a chance.

//Garret, can you distract them?// he asked into the rebel’s mind.

Garret looked at Obi-Wan, at Qui-Gon, at the troops drawing constantly closer. He seemed for a while to be absorbed in an internal struggle of some sort. Then his face hardened.

“You’re on your own, Jedi,” he whispered. “I like my life.” And then he was gone.

Obi-Wan watched, stunned, as the soldiers came closer, trying to pinpoint the source of the whispers the Padawan knew they had heard.

Garret had betrayed him. He repeated it over in his mind, not quite able to understand it fully. Garret had been given a chance to help him, and he had not. //I shouldn’t be surprised,// he thought. //Garret never was one to value anyone’s life over his own safety.// He felt bitterness threatening to overwhelm him and forced it down. Garret was gone. He would have to live with the fact and somehow rescue himself and Qui-Gon without the rebel’s help.

A blinding light shone into Obi-Wan’s face and he knew it was too late. He rolled sideways, igniting his lightsaber as he came up. Surprisingly, there was no blaster fire. He blinked away the spots in front of his eyes and saw to his left a soldier gripping Qui-Gon around the neck, a blaster pointed at the Master’s temple. The rest of the soldiers simply watched, waiting for Obi-Wan to act.

Qui-Gon’s face was composed, but from the tightness of his Master’s lips and eyes, Obi-Wan could tell the soldier was hurting him terribly.

//Padawan,// said a voice in Obi-Wan’s mind, //the people need you. Even if it means I die, you must lead them.//

“No, Master,” said Obi-Wan aloud. He was a Jedi Padawan. His loyalties were with his Master. He extinguished his lightsaber and laid it on the ground at his feet.

The soldier holding Qui-Gon, who Obi-Wan took to be the captain, smiled crookedly. “Blasters on stun,” she said. The troops cocked their weapons, twisting the little knobs on the sides to the stun setting. They took aim and, as one, pulled the triggers. Obi-Wan’s mind cried out in despair, then the world went black. He never felt himself hit the ground.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||