BANISHED: Part 6

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Obi-Wan raced into the palace, amidst a sudden swarm of servants and guests, all shouting and racing from one place to another. And in the middle, he saw a familiar figure like a monument in chaos...

"Obi-Wan!"

"Master!"

Qui-Gon's tan clothes and long hair emanated a slight smell of burning as he emerged from the crowd. Obi-Wan stared in horror at the bleeding cuts and scrapes on his leonine face and large hands. "What happened?" he asked breathlessly.

Qui-Gon looked back over his shoulder grimly, at the hallroom. Obi-Wan could see the star-studded sky through a gaping hole in the ceiling and wall. "A bomb—situated near the Sovereign's throne. Someone meant-"

"SILENCE!"

The booming voice of the security captain rang through the hall, and instantly silence fell. The only sound that Obi-Wan heard was his own embarrassingly-loud gasping. Qui-Gon's hard face softened a little at the sight of a silvery figure wending past the guests and servants.

The Sovereign looked as bedraggled and burned as Qui-Gon, flanked by Risoin and the huge, armored captain. Risoin's eyes narrowed, and Obi-Wan realized sinkingly that he must have heard him address Qui-Gon as "Master."

Her large brown eyes ran over the people, rested on Qui-Gon, then turned back to the armored captain. "Captain Sahimar," she said in a clipped voice. "I want the grounds closed off as of now, with the border forcefields."

"Already done, my lady," Sahimar rumbled.

"No one leaves the palace without my permission," she added burningly, crossing her slim arms over her chest. "No one leaves until the asssassin is found."

"It's a little late for that," Obi-Wan panted, wiping at his forehead.

All eyes turned to the apprentice, including those of the Sovereign. He wriggled a little under her steady gaze. "Kenobi!" hissed Risoin, anger rising in his tanned face. "How-"

The queen held up her hand for silence, eyes still fixed on Obi-Wan's. "Obi-Wan," she said quietly, stepping forward. Obi-Wan steeled himself and looked up at her eyes. "Did you see him?"

Obi-Wan nodded, horribly aware of Risoin's hard gaze on him. "I saw him escaping. I told him to show himself, and he killed himself."

For a moment, she simply looked at him, as if summing him up. Then the corner of her lips twitched upward in a half-smile, and she swept away into the crowd with her cloak trailing behind her. Sahimar was only a step behind her, as she ordered, "Have young Kenobi lead you to the body, and have it placed in a cryo pod. Report to me in my quarters."

Just before the burly captain seized Obi-Wan's arm and drew him outdoors into the cool air, he spotted Qui-Gon smiling approvingly at him.


Daylight dawned on the capitol of Aladell, golden in the dark skyline. The deep color slowly faded to pale blue on the horizen...

Qui-Gon Jinn lay on his back on the narrow, ornate bed, watching as the first rays of sunlight streamed through the window. He ached all over, every nerve in his body twanging furiously in response to the slightest movement.

I wonder how Saleil feels, he thought with a faint smile. She hit the railing pretty hard...

As the scent of burning mingled with flowers drifted in the window, his thoughts altered suddenly. He vividly remembered the look of irritation on Risoin's face when he had asked where Obi-Wan was. A Jedi cares where his padawan is during a crisis...

A pang of guilt ran through him. Because he was no longer allowed to train Obi-Wan, was he judging Risoin unfairly in an effort to find something he could have done better?

A faint knock of the door rang out. "Come in!" he called, sitting up on his bed.

A stocky, dark servant girl slipped in and bowed slightly, hands folded. "The Sovereign respectfully requests your presence in the gardens, before the body of the bomber is examined."

"I'll be right out," Qui-Gon said, his former worries quashed down. As the girl closed the door, he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stretched. It was going to be a very, very long day, but at least it was starting off well.


The Sovereign was sitting on a stone bench when Qui-Gon reached her. While the tattered gown of the night before had been replaced by a pure white sheath and shawl, her face was still lined by faint red marks.

She was looking at three obelisks, carved out of dark obsidian, framed by flowers and plants that were smaller and less showy than the rest of the gardens. He sat down beside Saleil and put his large hand on her smaller one for a moment, comfortingly.

She sighed. "I'm having the palace sealed off for the time being," she announced.

"You don't think the assassin was working alone?"

"Whoever is doing this would value their life and position too much to throw it away unless they were defeated outright." Her face softened a little in amusement. "Poor Sahimar is ready to arrest anyone and everyone, he's so nervous." She paused. "You trained Obi-Wan well."

Qui-Gon chuckled humorlessly. "Not well enough."

"Do not say that," she reproved him sternly. "He reminds me a great deal of you at that age—only less serious," she teased.

"Ouch." Qui-Gon pretended to wince.

She uttered a throaty chuckle, then became serious again. "I will do whatever is in my power to help you, Qui-Gon," she said quietly. "You are like a son to me, and I know how much this banishment hurt you." For a moment, her eyes drifted away.

Then she rose and drifted through the paths to the palace, with Qui-Gon walking just behind her.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||