BANISHED: Part 10

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


She glided like a silvery shadow into the pillared stone pavillion, her breath misting on the evening air. She touched a hidden switch, and the circle of life-sized, colored holograms of the Jedi Council spun into being around her. She slowly turned to face Mace Windu and Yoda, relaxed and seated in their low soft chairs.

"Masters," the Sovereign said with a slight inclination of her head.

Mace Windu rose and bowed as a sign of respect to her, then reseated himself with a smile. "Good day, my lady."

"Good evening," the Sovereign replied, seating herself on the stone throne. "I have come before you to speak of Qui-Gon Jinn."

A deep weariness passed over Mace Windu's dark face, as if he were unhappy but immovable about the subject. "My lady, if you have heard it from him, you have only heard half the story-"

"Yes," the Sovereign replied, her eyes falling to where pearl-tipped fingers twiddled a computer chip on the arm of her throne. "I heard his story, full of shame and misery, deserved or not. I also made inquiries on the planet of Meidal'izan and read his report on the matter."

Her eyes roved over the faces of the Councillors, narrowing ever so slightly. "None have convinced me of any wrongdoing." They rested on Mace Windu, flashing. "Tell me, Master Windu—what would you have done if Qui-Gon had chosen to save the corrupt monarch of Meidal'izan at the expense of nearly a thousand innocents on the surface?"

Windu appeared to be thinking it over. He looked frankly at the lovely woman sternly gazing at him. "I do not know," he confessed quietly.

The Sovereign's eyes hardened slightly. "Are you fully aware that the Jedi Knight whom you sent me, evidently ambitious and eager to prove himself, nearly had an innocent man arrested? And that the very Qui-Gon Jinn whom you refuse to acknowledge as one of your own uncovered the assassin?"

The Sovereign leaned back in her chair, now fixing on the huddled, wrinkled figure of Master Yoda, bright eyes shining even in a hologram. "Nearly thirty years ago, Qui-Gon Jinn risked the very punishment he now suffers for my sake. He is personally responsible for my life and the safety of my world today, because of his bravery and clear vision."

Her elfin face softened slightly. "Though he is revered and remembered on my world as a great hero, he has not been recognized by the Jedi Council as having done anything on Aladell."

"We were unaware of the extent of his actions," Adi Gallia replied, frowning deeply. "He did not specify what happened."

Saleil rose from her throne, drawing herself to her full height. "If the life and opinion of a planetary monarch means a great deal, then know now that Qui-Gon Jinn has saved my life more than once, and he is the one of the bravest and most worthy men alive in my view."

There was a long silence, as the Jedi watched the queen. She seemed to be above them for a moment, her shadowy eyes passing over them in the dark, looking like a mail-clad spirit of confrontation in the dark night air.

Then Mace Windu looked at Yoda, who gave the smallest hint of a nod. He tall dark man rose and faced the Sovereign with a faint smile. "Qui-Gon Jinn is to be welcomed back to the Jedi Order."

The Sovereign nodded to Mace Windu, then bowed deeply. It was a sign of respect that no Aladell would expect to be given by their revered ruler to a Jedi, but Windu understood the gesture of acceptance and unspoken thanks. He bowed deeply in return, and the holograms vanished into the night air like ghosts.

For a long time, the Sovereign stood in the garden pavilion, her dark hair and silvery gown stirred by the soft breeze. A soft smile crossed her pale face, as she pulled the thin cloak about herself and glided out, back to the warmer stone passages of the palace.

She breathed deeply as she made her way to Qui-Gon's chambers. The high windows had been cycled open for the coolness of the night, letting the scent of her gardens waft through the chambers.

She slipped in the door and looked at the low leather couch by the door, where a tall man was curled up, not even having removed his boots. Qui-Gon was fast asleep, but stirred slightly as she sat down beside him and stroked his long brown hair. His huge fists were curled hear his face, where a few dark stains on the leather betrayed where a few tears had fallen.

The Sovereign watched him for a long minute, then leaned down and pressed her lips to his forehead. She slipped out and into the night, to her own chambers.


The Sovereign raised her head as Qui-Gon entered her throne room. His long hair and tan clothes were rumpled, as if he had dressed quickly. But he was smiling delightedly, eyes shining like stars.

Saleil smiled at his joy as she rose from her throne, pure-white gown shining as she descended from the dais. "I had not expected to see you so happy for a time," she said quietly.

A faint shadow of uncertainty crossed Qui-Gon's joy-filled face. "The Council rescinded my banishment," he said quietly. "I'm being recalled back to Coruscant on the next transport." For a moment, he stared at the window, as if ashamed.

The Sovereign smiled and shook her dark head. "Qui-Gon, I thought that the Council might rescind their decision. As much as I enjoy having you here, knowing that your life is being a Jedi is enough. Someday you may come here, but not now—" she paused, as if weighing the words that she was to speak, "—my son."

Qui-Gon's head came up sharply, his eyes filling with tears of joy and surprise. The Sovereign raised her arms to him, and he hugged her tightly, as if he were her own.


Obi-Wan had long abandoned his cloak in the pounding midday heat, leaving it aboard the transport to Coruscant with the highly-subdued Risoin. The young man looked as if he were having a nervous breakdown, but Obi-Wan was finding it disturbingly difficult to find pity for him. He was in serious trouble, from the sound of it...

Qui-Gon and the Sovereign appeared on the pad, flanked by half a dozen red-armored guards. Qui-Gon's robe had been left on Coruscant, but his lightsaber dangled at his belt. Obi-Wan smiled in satisfaction—he had smuggled the weapon off of Coruscant amidst his clothes. He had no intention of it being shut away, and he remembered clearly Qui-Gon's delight at having it returned.

The Sovereign rose on her toes and kissed Qui-Gon on the forehead, then was enveloped in a sturdy hug, her lace-shrouded arms wrapped around his neck. For a moment, Obi-Wan just watched them hug.

Then the Sovereign slid out of the hug and stepped over to Obi-Wan with a smile. As the young man started to bow, she held up her hand. "I ask you as a friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, not as the Sovereign of Aladell."

"Yes, my lady," Obi-Wan asked, slightly confused.

She smiled a little. "When you detour to Aladell on missions—come with your master to see me, please?"

Obi-Wan felt a grin coming on despite his desperate attempts to hold it back. "I'd like that," he replied shyly.

Saleil's small smiled widened as she leaned forward and gave Obi-Wan a small peck on the cheek. As Obi-Wan followed his master into the transport, he thought he saw a shadow of loneliness pass over her lovely face. She waved a little as the transport took off, a lonely white figure. Obi-Wan waved to her, feeling that she had just bestowed some kind of blessing...

As the transport vanished into the sky, the Sovereign Saleil clasped her hands and walked back to the palace...


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||