A SPIRITUAL JOURNEY HOME: Part 6

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.
The lyrics are for the song "Charlie Smalls", as sung by Stephanie Mills.


You continue studying your notes as the duchess sits across from you.

"I just want to say thank you. For saving my life."

You are uncertain of her sincerity but accept her gratitude anyway, "You're welcome." You reply turning your attention to her.

"I suppose we never got a chance to formally meet--I'm Theo." She holds out her hand gregariously.

Your alarm over this behavior is evident. You manage to shake her hand.

"Yea, not what you expect from nobility hunh?"

"No."

"Well, I wasn't raised with money I kinda came into it."

She continues under your questioning gaze, "Illegitimate but next in line."

"Oh," you nod. "I guess you missed out on palace intrigue hunh?"

"Not really," She purses her red lips, "it's always there waiting whenever I go to court. My father has an estate in the country, our principality is small but important."

Theo's gaze is far off--distant.

"Well you'll be lifebonded soon. And you and your mate will create a life of your own separate from the others."

Theo shook her head, "That's not how it works. I have to give up my freedom, my life, to marry a man I hardly know and have kids I don't even want."

You shake your head only half paying attention to the last of the information on record before you.

"Don't get sanctimonius with me." She says sourly, "This whole situation stinks. Well, I've got duties. And unlike you, I don't get to lead an adventurous life with a dashing knight. My betrothed barely knows my name. My bonding with this man could be vital to the welfare of my planet, it is a convenience. Not love."

"Hence your attempted getaway."

"I had to try." She rolls her eyes.

"That was really dumb. Haven't you heard? There are people out to kill you."

"Death would be better than the prison I'm in."

You sneer at her, "You say that because you have never faced death."

She cocks her head, "How would you know. You're just a body guard for fat beaurocrats!"

"What happened to that adventurous life you mentioned earlier."

"I suppose hanging on the coattails of a man can provide an outlet."

"Spoken from experience?" You are passed irritation and well into anger.

"I want a life with meaning, adventure."

"An adventurous life?" You're hung up on that phrase.

"Yes! You heard me. When I get home, everyday, every second of my life is monitored. People always wanting to know what I eat, drink, wear, where I'd like to go. Not to mention my thoughts on topics I know nothing about. And Gods forbid I say or do something wrong then it is a complete and total embarrasment."

"And don't forget the assassins trying to kill you." You retort, she is obviously missing your sarcasm.

She waves her arms, "And there's that! Where and why they have chosen me as a target, I'll never know! But my ass is out there on the line everyday so don't look at me smuggly with your safe boring life."

You stare at her. You are so enraged you don't know whether to scream, cry or knock the crap out of her. "You don't know shit about me. And you probably to don't care to."

You slam the datapad down, "I'm real sorry about your poor fucked up noble life. But some of us don't give a shit. I didn't ask for this assignment, it was given to me in spite of my opposition. We all have problems but some of us don't put other people's lives in danger trying to escape them."

"What? The transport?!" Theo yells, "I don't want your friggin' protection and I didn't ask for it! Unlike me, you can quit at the end of the day."

"No! Like you, I can't quit. And UNLIKE YOU I LOVE MY BETROTHED and I want kids!!" You stop yourself and listen to the remark as it hangs in the air.

"All women say that until they have some. And then they're like my mother, they just want you stay out of their hair. Kids wreck your body, men wreck your mind and both steal your life."

"You've got a lot to learn." You stand up, "It does not have to be that way. I dare you to come back and tell me that bullshit after... and only after you carry your children for nine months. Feeling them move inside of you, connecting with you and then giving birth only to give them away to quite possibly never see them again!"

You lean in close, "And then have to live with the possibility that every time your spouse leaves your bed it may be the last time you see him. Or the fact that on a daily basis you risk your life for people who don't give a shit about you. When you know these things...then we can TALK!!"

You straighten up. "Get dressed, I'm dropping you off."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||