A SPIRITUAL JOURNEY HOME: Part 3

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.
The lyrics are for the song "Charlie Smalls", as sung by Stephanie Mills.


"It's only for a day or two." Your boss Agent Megan Shar informs, pacing in front of you. "I realize your time with us is limited but you must understand-- that while she seeks refuge on our planet her welfare is in our hands."

Shar's footsteps thud against the plush carpenting inside her expansive office.

"The political machinations between principalities are a dangerous game. I am told that the authorities and the Jedi are quite close to flushing out her would be assassins. In the meantime, her wedding ceremony is scheduled as planned. And we must keep her safe until she can be safely escorted home. Do you have any questions?"

You gather your thoughts, "Several actually. First, why me? I haven't been in the field for about two years. Second, where is she staying? And lastly, doesn't she have a compliment of personal security?"

Commander Xiloft moves away from his position behind Agent Shar.

"You have been chosen because you are the most qualified person to handle this detail. Unfortunately, most of my personnel aren't quite up to the task. And yes the duchess, Ms. Prevette, has security but they were relieved of their duties when one tried to assassinate her in her private quarters."

You nod wondering if you are mentally and physically up to the task. You stopped your intensive training regimen a year ago. Yea, you use to thrive on this stuff but now...

Then it occurs to you they hadn't answered your question.

"Where is she staying?"

"With you." Agent Shar answered.

"Me?!" Were they out of their damn minds?! "That's out of the question." You insist jumping out of your seat.

"I suggest you check yourself sargeant." Commander Xiloft warned.

"Excuse me," You sneer, "but I no longer work for you."

"This is true," Agent Shar adds, "but you still work for me. And it is up to both of our discretion whether you qualify for your retirement benefits."

You calm yourself in light of her trump card. You need those benefits, it's the main lifeline of your household. The credits that Qui and Ardeth receive are mainly to enable them to successfully carry out their missions--not to support a household.

Though the Order does not forbid lifebonding, most of the ones that take place are between fellow Jedi. Which then naturally leads to a life in and around the temple where much is already provided. A Jedi's life is meant to be completely dedicated to Service with little expectation or time for anything or anyone.

"I oppose this arrangement and my spouses may oppose this as well." You clasp your hands behind your back.

"I suggest you work something out. Because the Duchess is in the next office waiting for you." Shar hands you a holster which contains a mini-blaster, a shiv and a comm-link. "Surely you can spare the room one day and is it not apart of the Jedi code to have compassion for the needy.

You coldly glare at them. What the hell do they know about the Code?

You salute the two and turn to leave.

"And Sgt. another thing," Xiloft adds, "her things have already been delivered to your home."

You nod gritting your teeth. Hopefully the Tech Shop already delivered SWee to your home. At least there won't be a stack of sand covered bags on your porch.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||