ALL ALONE IN THE NIGHT: Part 1

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


About ten years before TPM

Several armed guards burst into Qui-Gon's spartan hotel room. They were all Thalons, winged, tall and pale. The Jedi sat upright on his blanketless cot, clad only in a pair of leggings, blinking at them. "What the... what are you doing here?" he said, getting to his feet.

ZAP! The lead guard swung a high-power force pike at him, catching him in the chest. Qui-Gon fell against the wall with the electric shock, gasping for air and holding onto his chest. He was only able to see the gray-clad legs of the guard passing by him, and a high-pitched chuckle. "A lightsaber. So, we HAVE found the Jedi." A hand grasped Qui-Gon by his long chestnut hair and pulled his head up, for the shattering view of the leader clipping the lightsaber to his belt.

Four rough hands grabbed him and yanked him forward, almost off his feet. "Move, scum!" the one to his left hissed. "Extra commendations for taking you to the camps!"

"Sorry... to disappoint you," Qui-Gon choked, sucking in a breath. "But... I'm not going to any... camp!"

The guard sniggered. "You wish, Jedi." He yanked Qui-Gon sideways, out into the street, broken-up and burned. Qui-Gon's vision was blurry; the twelve guards surrounding him were no more than pillars of gray and beige and white. "Without your laser sword, you are NOTHING."

Qui-Gon only smiled a little lopsidedly. He still had the Force.

He fought through the pinkish haze that clouded his vision and his mind, made it virtually impossible to think. He focused on all twelve guards, on the blasters on their belts...

Twelve simultaneous blaster bolts, slashing burning paths down the guards legs. They screamed, clutching at themselves. Qui-Gon threw his arms out, calling his lightsaber from the lead guard's belt to his hand. As it hummed to life, his mind seemed to clear someone.

"BLAST HIM!" the leader shrieked in agony.

Qui-Gon leaped from the street to an awning, feeling the strong material begin to rip under his weight. Gathering the Force around him like a robe, he hurled himself from the awning to the flat rooftop, the blaster bolts hammering only inches from his ascending legs.

He landed in an exhausted heap, on his stomach. He could hear the guards screaming down below him... and knew that he had to keep moving. He deactivated his lightsaber and crawled across the rooftop on his hands and knees, still dazed. The cold winds blew across his bare chest and back, making him shiver and try to move faster. The tiles bit into his bare feet, making the going slower and more treacherous.

Finally he reached somewhere where the shouting was quieter. And the shouting seemed to be ever-present... someone was screaming wherever he went.

He continued on his rooftop trekking until he reached his hotel. He swung down from one balcony to another, feeling the skin slowly scrape from his fingertips. As he swung into his room, he came face to face with another guard.

It can't be easy, he thought with a mental sigh.

He swung out with his lightsaber and struck down the guard before the Thalon could fire his blaster. Shaking with spent adrenaline and the accumulated trauma of the morning's activities, he went to the closet and yanked it open. He slipped on his shirt, boots, and Jedi robe, quickly tying the sash.

A military coup. It was the only thing that he could think of. The military was taking over the planet... for what reasons, he didn't know. And it sounded like they wanted HIM dead in particular.

The clatter of boots alerted Qui-Gon to more soldiers. He slipped out the window and onto the ledge near the balcony, then hopped down to the street, on top of a smoking grate.

He didn't know where the grate would lead to, but it had to be safer than the streets. I wish Obi-Wan were here, he thought morosely.


It was a small planet. Insignificant. Qui-Gon didn't even know what was going on, fully.

He had been roaming the sewers for hours, gasping at the stench. The stone walls were dripping with slime and putrid matter. His lightsaber was held in front of him, but the green beam let out only a faint glow that allowed him to see a few feet in front of him.

He stopped at a dead end, and pulled a fold of his robe across his mouth and nose, breathing shallowly. He couldn't walk quickly; the floor was too uneven and slippery. And though he couldn't see himself clearly in the glow of his lightsaber, he suspected that he was coated in the same slime as the passage was.

I feel sick, he thought miserably.

The effects of the force pike were slowly wearing off, pulling away the haze that had shrouded his mind for the past few hours. He began to recap, to try and figure out a way off this paradise-turned-hellhole.

Two days ago, his transport's hyperdrive had broken down near the planet Thalon, on the way from Malastare to Coruscant. He had thought, at the time, that there were worse places to be stranded for a week. The Thalon were cultured and intelligent avians, with a civilization full of art and beauty.

Qui-Gon had spent those two days touring their museums and opulent palaces, admiring the work of centuries of Thalon artisans. He had noticed the gray-suited military officials that were following him, but they changed so often he had concluded that they were just curious.

The Thalon people themselves were the guide that he went by in determining their position. They seemed happy, well-adjusted.

Face it, Qui-Gon thought. You got SLOPPY.


Obi-Wan had been standing on the huge, levitating landing pad for Qui-Gon's transport for almost four hours. His leg still tingled, reminding him of the reason he hadn't been able to come on this mission.

Beside him, Master Yoda had been quietly watching the transports snake by the platform to their destinations. Obi-Wan kept his eyes fixed on Coruscant's pale sky, partially to overcome the faint acrophobia that twisted him every time he looked down. Partly because Qui-Gon was supposed to have arrived almost half a day ago.

Yoda looked at Obi-Wan with huge shiny eyes. Obi-Wan knew that the tiny Jedi Master was looking at him, but he pretended not to notice. "Worried you are?"

"Yes, Master Yoda," Obi-Wan said quietly.

For a moment, he thought that Yoda was going to reprimand him. "So am I," Yoda said with equal quietness. "Beyond overdue his transport is."

The tiny Jedi turned around and walked with surprising quickness to the sleek Jedi shuttle docked at the end of it. For a moment, Obi-Wan cast a single, hopeful glance at the sky, then followed him.


A faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, gleaming like Qui-Gon's hopes. The Jedi felt like his throat was bleeding as he climbed up the narrow tunnel, his big frame barely fitting. The sudden, nightmarish fear that he was going to get stuck in this slimy sewer hole flipped into Qui-Gon's mind.

His robes were a wreck, beyond repair, he had greenish slime in his eyes, coating his face and hair. He wasn't certain what he was going to do when he got onto the streets again. Thalon was on the very edge of the Republic... it would take several days for news of this coup to reach Coruscant. Several more for ships to arrive.

Now his legs were pressed together, only barely able to twitch his arms as he scraped his way, inch by painful inch, toward the street grate that had become the main focus of his life. His hands were shaking as he scrabbled for a handhold...

A waft of fresh air reached his nostrils. Qui-Gon breathed deeply, started to pull himself further up the shaft...

And stopped. Thalon soldiers were standing outside the grate, rasping at each other. Qui-Gon sucked in a breath and started to push himself back--then stopped as a jab of pain hit his ribs. He was stuck.

After a moment of hyperventilation, Qui-Gon found that he could ease forward--just not backward. Well, he'd just have to pray that no one looked too closely at the grate.

He felt a bit like a man being digested, coated with slime and wedged in the small round space. At least, he thought with a faint glint of humor, he could breathe normally.

Several booted feet entered his field of vision. One Thalon stood apart from the others--he could only assume that he was the commandant.

"Where is the Jedi?"

Silence. Qui-Gon's breathing sounded thunderous to his ears.

"SPEAK!"

"He has... vanished, sir. He somehow defeated our unit and escaped onto a rooftop."

Silence. Qui-Gon strained to hear, hoping that they hadn't tracked him into the sewers. It would be fairly difficult to escape if he were stuck in this shaft.

"Incompetants!"

Blaster fire. Qui-Gon winced as one of the officers dropped, a hole burned through his chest and folded wings.

"Commander!"

"Yes, sir!"

"Find the Jedi, now. And try to take him alive. General Tathor has plans for this man, this... Qui-Gon Jinn."

Well, this was certainly interesting. Qui-Gon knew of no "General Tathor" and had no idea why this man would want him alive... or have plans for him. The commandant said the words with no especial malice or relish, but they sent a chill down Qui-Gon's spine just the same.

The commandant barked out another order in his native tongue that Qui-Gon did not understand. His heart sank as all the soldiers left... except two. They stood at attention beside the grate where Qui-Gon was hidden, standing like sentries. So they might as well be, Qui-Gon thought morosely. To go forward would mean his death.

Qui-Gon fought through his growing despair. He trusted the Force.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||