IN TIME OF NEED: Part 16

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 16: Hammond  [by PHO]

One thing's for certain. Dr. Jackson has many friends at this facility. Friends that would put their careers on the line for him. Or at the very least, risk a written reprimand for insubordination.

Feretti I can understand. He's been a good friend of Dr. Jackson's since the beginning, but Makepeace? The man has depths I never knew were there. Amazing, but indicative of how our archaeologist / anthropologist / linguist can get under even the toughest skin.

Major Feretti's impassioned plea not to destroy SG-1 ended with my promising to think about the impact that the loss of Daniel Jackson would have on both the team as well as the SGC. By the time he left my office, we'd both calmed down, he'd apologized for 'conduct unbecoming an officer' - didn't even know he used such language - and I'd decided to end our, uh, conversation with a verbal reprimand, off the record. Can't let junior officers get away with too much, I do have a command to run.

Colonel Makepeace took me entirely by surprise, arriving as he did shortly after the Major left. The knock on the door should have clued me in; anger always translates into pounding.

"Come."

"General. Rumor mill has it that Jackson's been kicked off SG-1, sir."

"Rumor mill is correct, for once, Colonel."

"May I ask why?"

"Not that I have to explain my decisions, Colonel, but I should think his conduct speaks for itself. You of all people should understand the need to maintain discipline at all times. This is just the latest incident in a string of mishaps, and fortunately that's all they were, that have led me to remove him from active duty."

"What did O'Neill say, sir?"

"He protested, but my decision stands. Daniel Jackson is off SG-1. From now on, he will undertake nothing more dangerous than translation or artifact analysis."

"With all due respect, General, you're making a mistake. … Hear me out, sir. Jackson has proven his worth time and time again. Hell, it's so obvious even Ray Charles can see it."

"Colonel, you're pushing…"

"I'm not through, sir. How many times has this civilian died, or almost died to save his team, this facility, or this world? How many times have his theories saved our lives as opposed to putting them in jeopardy? He made a mistake. Fine. Proves the man's human. Reprimand him, on the record, if you think it's necessary. That's hurtful, but not fatal. But don't destroy everything the man's done under the guise of trying to protect him. It's just, dammit, not right. … Sir."

"Are you quite finished?"

"Yes, sir, I am."

"Excellent timing, Colonel, because I will not stand for any more interference with my decisions. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Fine. I will take your recommendation under advisement, but my final decision will not be argued, by you, or any one else. Am I clear?"

"Crystal. Sir."

"As long as we understand each other. Dismissed."

In the end, I decided to leave Dr. Jackson on SG-1, provided the team still wants him. I hope I haven't made a mistake.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||