IN TIME OF NEED: Part 12

by:  Jmas and PHO
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 12: Daniel  [by PHO]

Teal'c's timing has never been better. I couldn't have feigned sleep much longer, but neither Jack nor Teal'c noticed that I was awake. Jack must be more tired than I'd thought. I'd never have fooled him otherwise.

As I peer around the door, I know that I don't have much time. Teal'c wants to spell Jack for a while … let him, Jack, you're too tired … but Jack's having nothing to do with it. Good, they're focusing only on each other. Now's my chance.

Yesss, the elevator's at this level, and no one's around. For once, luck is on my side. Now if I can just … Close, dammit! Easy, Daniel, punching the button repeatedly isn't gonna close the door any faster. But it surefeelsgood.

Finally. The elevator door's closed, but where do I want to go? Where can I go? Off base? Not a snowball's chance in hell. My lab? No, first place they'll look. Well, after the storage closet, that is. Where? Gotta press a button soon or the damn buzzer will go off. Topside? No, Sam'll think of that. Shit! Okay, go down a couple of floors. That'll at least get me away.

Think, Daniel, think. Where? Storage levels. No one's ever there, or at least hardly ever. Which one? All of them, dammit, just press all the storage level buttons. That'll tie the elevator up for a while.

My luck's holding, fifteen floors, and the elevator hasn't stopped, yet. Now if it'll just hold a few floors longer.

I made it! Even going past the first few levels, my luck still held. … Oh. It must be night. That's why no one needed the elevator. Stupid, Daniel, real stupid. Just like back there, in the mines.

It's cold down here. I've only just arrived, and I'm starting to shiver. It's not right. It oughta be hot … and dirty. With no food, and no water. … At least that part's right. How could I have left them? Why didn't I see that they were suffering? Sam looked so, so tiny in that mine. I shouldn't have let Shyla talk me into getting into that thing. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Ouch. That hurt. I wiggle my fingers. They all move, maybe nothing's broken. Nothing except the team. I broke it. Into two pieces, them and me. I don't fit anymore, if I ever did. At least they'll be safe without me. I've almost killed them too many times. General Hammond's right. I'm nothing more than a liability. I should resign. That's it. I can't get anyone killed if I don't work here.

I try to push myself up off the floor, but nothing works, hands, feet, nothing. What?

Oh, God, the pain's coming back. "J'ck?"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||