PATH OF LIGHT: Part 2

by: Sarah Gower
Feedback to: gower@unbounded.com

Copyright © Sarah Gower February 1999



DISCLAIMER: All characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Jack!"  Daniel continued to call frantically.

They quickly pulled the line up - no frayed end.  He wasn't cut loose. It was as if he just... disappeared, right off the line.

His eyes mirrored those of his remaining team mates, filled with worry.

"We've got to get him out of there," he said with determination.

"I know Daniel, and we will.  But before we even think about going down there after him, we should look for another way down," Sam replied, her determination just as apparent.

Daniel shook his head.

"If this is like the sinkholes I'm thinking about, and it really does look like it, then there won't be another way down.  The purpose of cenotes was for sacrifice - the victims weren't meant to find their way out."

Sam sighed, the burden of command on her shoulders.

"Okay, I'll go down and see if I can find out what might have happened."

"Are you sure this is wise, Captain Carter?"  asked Teal'c.

"Well, Teal'c, I don't really see any other way around it.  If Daniel's right, and this is the only way in, then I don't have much choice.  And we have to find out what happened to the colonel."

Teal'c inclined his head slightly, acknowledging.

"Alright, let's get me set up.  Now, if the same thing does happen to me, contact SGC and report what's happened.  The General will know what to do."

Repeating their actions, they rigged Carter up for her journey down the sinkhole wall.

As she was hoisted over the edge, she noticed the slick surface of the wall - this wasn't going to be any piece of cake.  Touching the rock, a slight sheen came off on her fingertips.

'That's odd,' she thought.

Gripping a small protruding rock, she called up, "Okay, keep it steady. A bit more slack.  Daniel, shine the torch near my hands."

They continued the same routine for another five minutes, with Sam progressing slowly.  Then they heard it.  The whooshing that occurred just before Jack had disappeared.

"Sam!  Get out of there!"

"I'm trying!  Keep pulling!  The wind's so strong!"

Carter began to feel the wind tear at her clothes, and her grip was loosening.  She tightened her hold on the line, causing her knuckles to turn white, but it was to no avail.  Her heart pounded in her chest.

'Oh no,' she thought.

With a last look back to Teal'c and Daniel, she too vanished from below them.

"Sam!"

"Captain Carter!"

They turned to each other - Daniel's face showing worry, astonishment. Teal'c's generally impassive features slightly creased at the forehead in concern.

Before either could utter another word, several people materialised in front of their eyes, satisfied smiles on their faces.

One spoke... "Thank you for the sacrifice."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||