THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 41

by: PHO
Feedback to: phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Long eyelashes fluttered once, twice, three times, then slowly followed the eyelids open. A gambit of emotions, primarily fear and confusion, raced through the blue eyes as they tried to focus on their surroundings. Soon the pale green walls and sterile surroundings took shape. 'Oh. Hospital. Again.' "Whe..."

"Easy Daniel. You're safe. You're in the hospital. Walter Reed, to be exact."

'Know that, Jack. Why aren't these places ever painted yellow? Oh. Military. Green. Figures.' "Wha..." 'Blast, could use some water about now.'

"Here, take some ice chips. They'll soothe your throat."

Daniel gratefully let some of the ice melt on his tongue and swallowed. "T..Thanks. How long?"

"Four days asleep. Helped along by the infamous happy juice."

"Oh. Sam?"

"Right here, Daniel. It's about time you woke up."

"Indeed, Daniel Jackson. It is good to see your baby blues again."

"Teal'c, when, how? ... Baby what?" Confused, Daniel turned his attention back to Jack.

"Carter's been introducing him to old movies."

"I see. ... Did I miss anything?"

"Not a lot. You remember the rescue?"

The young man nodded as he swallowed some more ice. "I think so." His face clouded in confusion. "Those kids weren't really kids, were they?"

"Nope. Captain Benjamin did very well. Figured that they wanted you alive and probably would take extra precautions to prevent you getting killed. And a group of dead school kids arouses the ire of just about everyone."

"Worked. Parker's dead?"

"Yep. No great loss there."

"W..Who killed him?" Daniel's memories of the incident were fuzzy but he didn't think Jack had done the deed. At least he hoped not.

"Not sure, but I suspect it was the same man who brought me to the house. Still looking for him, by the way. But that's NID's problem. They lost him. They can find him again. We found the vault."

Daniel sat bolt upright, only to find himself forced back on the bed by Teal'c. "Remain prone, Daniel Jackson. You will not heal otherwise."

"Teal'c's right, Daniel. You need to rest." Sam patted his shoulder as she spoke.

The young archaeologist's voice was frantic, but weak. "Can't. Need to see it, see what's in it, take inventory. See if..." His words trailed away but Jack could plainly see his mind was mentally cataloging everything he needed to do.

"Whoa, hold up. SG-2's already cataloged and moved the items in the vault. They've been set up in a warehouse and Ferretti's made sure that everything's been laid out for proper review." Jack grinned as he spoke.

"That's right, Daniel. The vault was so crowded you couldn't examine anything." She looked at Jack. "Sir?"

"Go ahead, Carter. Give 'em to him."

"The journals?" Daniel's eyes lit up as he saw them. "You've got the journals, they didn't get lost. Parker wanted information in them to find the tomb my parents started excavating. He seemed to think they hadn't emptied it." He was gasping for breath as his words died away.

Jack looked concerned and oddly embarrassed. "Take it easy, Daniel. And, uh, I kinda read some of them. Looking for clues ya know. And it looks like there might have been a Goa'uld sarcophagus in the tomb. ... Don't get up!"

"What! Parker never even alluded to ... or maybe he did, I can't remember. I wish I wasn't so tired."

"You're sick, Daniel. And we're going to let you get some rest. But I think Carter has something else she wants you to see."

Sam smiled as her friend turned to look at her. "Artifacts weren't the only things in the vault, Daniel. It looks like ... the bad guys took some of your parents' belongings as well. I brought you a few things. Maybe you'll recognize them."

Jack pushed the rolling dining cart over the bed. Daniel's tired eyes widened as she laid a money clip and a charm bracelet on the cart. A badly shaking hand retrieved both items. "These were, were. Oh, God. The money clip was my Dad's and the bracelet was my Mom's."

"We hoped it wasn't the other way around."

Daniel missed both Jack's sarcasm and the dirty look Sam shot her CO, as he continued. "I thought these were gone forever. Thank you."

"There's more stuff in the warehouse, Daniel. But..." Jack held him down on the bed this time. "...you've got to recover before you can go there."

"And that, Dr. Jackson--"

"Huh? Who..?" Daniel's eyes widened as a nurse swiftly entered the room, the reaction of his teammates not going unnoticed by the patient.

"--is not going to happen if you don't rest." She injected something into one of the IV tubes. "This will take affect shortly. Everyone, out!"

"Nurse Adams," Jack started. "I don't think--"

"Obviously. Out!"

Even as Sam and Teal'c slipped quietly out of the room, Daniel's eyes were starting to droop. "But, need to, gotta..."

"Rest, Daniel. We're looking for clues to the tomb's location, and experts from the SGC are taking care of the items your folks excavated. SG-2's keeping guard over the stuff that belonged to your parents. You've got nothing at all to worry about."

"Colonel..." The woman stood at the door, hands on her hips, waiting for Jack to leave, her words dying on her lips as he held up a hand.

"'kay, Jack."

"Good dreams, my friend." Jack sighed as Daniel's blue orbs disappeared behind heavy eyelids. "One SOB is dead, and sooner or later, we'll get the other one. Your parents' murderers will not go unpunished. I promise."


"Excuse me, Sergeant, maybe you can help me?"

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"I'm trying to find Captain Arthur Benjamin."

"Do you have an appointment, ma'am?"

"Yes, I do."

"Second hall on the right, ma'am, then follow that for about fifty feet. Captain Benjamin's desk is the third office on the left."

"Thank you."

In a matter of minutes the young lieutenant stepped into a large office where a solitary captain, whom she didn't recognize, stood pondering a map. She was certain it was the right office, but Captain Benjamin was nowhere to be seen. Gulping, she nervously approached the officer, who looked up as she drew near. "Yes, Lieutenant?"

She saluted, taking in his name tag as she did so. "Captain Murphy, I'm Lieutenant Andrea Simmons. I was ordered to report here to Captain Benjamin, sir."

"Yes, Lieutenant Simmons. You've come highly recommended. Captain Benjamin's been called away for a short time. Welcome to the NID."

"Sir, I'm flattered, but also curious, I've tried to transfer to the NID before. My last request for transfer is over a year old. What happened?"

"We were told that your talents were wasted guiding officers around the Pentagon, and that we would be stupid not to snatch someone with your eye for detail and independent thinking."

The young woman blushed. "Oh. I, uh, I..."

Murphy laughed. "Colonel O'Neill said you'd probably be a little overwhelmed."

"Colonel O'Neill?" Her eyes widened. "Oh! He, uh, Wow!"

"Yes, he did. And for your first assignment, we're looking for an ancient Egyptian tomb. Think you can find it?"

"Sooner or later, yes. ... Sir."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||