THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 38

by: PHO
Feedback to: phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Daniel was standing tiredly in the center of the office when a boy opened the door. The guard gaped as the kid groaned. "Damn! I was hoping this was the bathroom. Hey! There's a door over there. Is that one?" Not waiting on a response he practically ran across the room, trailed by a few of his friends.

To Daniel's horror, the guard moved to retrieve his weapon from its hiding place under his jacket. The young archaeologist leaped to block the man's aim, gasping a warning. "Kids, look out!" The next few moments were a madhouse of activity.

As Daniel leaped to block the guard's shot, a muscular, young linebacker tackled the scientist, driving him heavily onto the floor. The guard's gun rose high in the air only to suddenly drop as the hand that held it fell forward, accompanying its owner to a place near Daniel. And through it all, the businessman managed to look bored as he slipped unnoticed out of the office door.


Small arms fire got the attention of both Jack and Sam, but they deferred to the NID captain as he shook his head. "Not just yet, sir, ma'am."

The two SG-1 members exchange a puzzled look, then glanced at Benjamin as his radio suddenly crackled to life. "First floor's secure, sir. Other floors are being secured. And Dr. Jackson's safe."

"Good work, Captain. On our way." Sighing he rushed to catch up to the two senior officers.

Jack and Sam had, by silent agreement, started for the house as soon as they heard Daniel's name. Jogging past a group of youngsters sporting guns, they paused briefly by the cursing figure of Colonel Roland Parker, face down on the ground, hands behind his back, and a petite young girl seated nonchalantly on his back, handcuffing his wrists together. Jack did a remarkable imitation of Teal'c as his eyebrows headed toward his hairline. Benjamin's laugh wisely disappeared into a sneeze. "Colonel Jack O'Neill, Major Samantha Carter, meet Lieutenant Amy O'Rourke, NID." Before Jack could register the introduction, Benjamin focused on the lieutenant. "Dr. Jackson?"

"On his way out, sir. Reports from inside indicate a total collection of twelve people so far, including Mr. Potty Mouth here." She slammed Parker's protesting mouth into the dirt. "Keep it civil, asshole, there're ladies present."

"Gently, Lieutenant, we need him in one piece, I think." Jack added doubtfully as he remembered the photo of Daniel, bound and helpless, and dressed in very, very little. He knelt by the furious prisoner who paled as Jack spoke softly, for his ears only, reminding Parker that they would ... talk.

"Jack? Oh, God, you're alive." A dazed but familiar voice pulled Jack's and Sam's attention away from Parker. A ghost pale Daniel Jackson was being steadied by a tall, muscular young man with the kind of ageless face that would be carded well into his thirties.

"Daniel!" Jack and Sam sprinted to his side. But before they could reach him, he doubled over, coughing violently. Only a quick move by the young man next to him prevented a fall.

The linebacker saluted as he spoke. "Captain Mike Murphy, NID."

Jack took another look at the 'kids'. Gone was the carefree, gonna-live-forever, attitude of moments before. It had been replaced by a variety of expressions, ranging from seasoned professional to eager-to-please novice. "You're all military?"

"Yes, sir. Captain Benjamin's instructions were that anyone who had to show id to get into bars in DC was to get on the bus."

Nodding his confused approval, Jack turned his attention back to Daniel, who now had Sam glued to his arm. "You okay?"

"I'm fine, J..." Another round of coughing caused Sam to frown as she tightened her grip.

"There's an ambulance on the way, sir. He's got a high fever, sir. And from the sound of that cough, I'd guess pneumonia."

"No, I don't need... I'm fine. Just a cold." Daniel wheezed irritably as Jack moved forward to place a hand on his forehead. Angrily batting it away, he stammered. "D..Don't!"

"Daniel?" Jack's eyes narrowed as thoughts he did not want raced through his mind.

The younger man blushed. "Nothing happened, Jack. Lotsa talk, lotsa threats, lotsa innuendo." He paused to catch his breath and glared at Parker who was now on his feet, still cursing loudly. "Lotsa nothing."

A siren in the driveway caused Daniel to groan. "God, I do not..." His words died on his lips as Parker suddenly stopped cursing, gave a burbling gasp and collapsed to the ground.

"Sniper!" The astonished lieutenant who'd secured him dropped beside him, rolling him over as she did so. Immediately, all personnel were on guard as a widening bloodstain appeared on the dead man's shirt. Murphy and Jack collided as they moved to protect Daniel, while Sam, Benjamin and several others took defensive positions. The tension was palpable as all personnel scanned for the sniper, waiting for more gunfire, but it was soon evident no more shots were to come.

Smiling an apology at the colonel, the captain waved down the ambulance as it wailed its way into the yard. At the sight of the vehicle, Daniel began another protest which ended when a spell of coughing drove him to his knees. As his friends helped him to his feet, Daniel could tell, even through watering eyes, that his fate lay with the ambulance. A pair of overeager paramedics maneuvered him onto the gurney, and began their appraisal of his condition while Daniel struggled to speak. "Wait... I ... just... journals?"

Jack smiled, trying to hide the concern in his eyes. "Safe, Daniel. They're with..."

"...One of my staff." Benjamin interjected. "I'll get them to you at the hospital."

Daniel relaxed for a moment then his eyes widened. "W...Who?"

Sam gently touched Daniel's shoulder as they walked beside the gurney. "Captain Benjamin. One of the good guys."

The three officers stepped back as the paramedics loaded Daniel into the ambulance. Sam waited for the colonel to follow him, and was surprised when her CO turned to her. "Carter, go with Daniel. Do not let him out of your sight."

"Yes, sir, but I thought you'd..." Her words faded away as Jack shooed her toward the doors.

His face was grim as he spoke. "I'll be along, Carter. Right now, I'm looking for someone." He took a quick survey of the prisoners kneeling in the courtyard. "Someone who doesn't seem to be here."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||