THE PAST REMEMBERED: Part 27

by:  PHO
Feedback to:  phowmo@mindspring.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Yes, Director, I am very aware of the time in DC. However, this is a national security issue. ... Yes, sir, one of my people has been abducted, and I have reason to suspect that someone in your department is thwarting our attempts to locate him. ... No, I am not implying complicity. I do not believe your people have all the facts. ... Yes, sir. That's correct. ... Doctor Daniel Jackson. ... Our investigation indicates that someone may try to take him out of the country. ... No, I cannot tell you why, merely that it is in this country's best interests for Dr. Jackson to be found quickly. And the President agrees. ... Yes, Director, our president. ... Thank you. I'm sure you will." George Hammond returned the phone to its cradle and sighed in satisfaction. Amazing, he could get the FBI director out of bed and cooperating in the middle of the night, eastern time, but he still hadn't received the paperwork on Airman Barkley, even though his counterpart at Bolling Air Force Base had assured him it was being expedited immediately.

Sighing, he reached for the phone. Even with the scarcity of the information, Colonel O'Neill deserved an update. He knew the SG-1 team leader well enough to be sure that the man was probably silently climbing the walls about now. Many more delays and O'Neill would be extremely unpleasant to be around.

The phone rang loudly just as his hand reached it, causing him to start violently. Cursing under his breath, he pulled the handset to his ear. "Hammond. ... Signed out? When? ... Why didn't, oh never mind. Airman, have Major Harris paged. And get a security team to Lieutenant McIntosh's home.... No, he is not under arrest. The security is just a precaution. They're to take no action until Major Harris arrives." Slamming the phone down, Hammond fumed. He'd ordered McIntosh to stay on base, but had never posted the orders to the gate. Dammit to hell. A really bad thought found its way into his brain, and he grabbed for the phone. "Hammond, here. Has Mr. Teal'c by any chance signed out? ... He has? ... How long? ... Thank you, Airman."

George stared bleakly at the phone. Jack was not going to like this. Hell, he didn't like this. Hopefully, Teal'c would do nothing to McIntosh. Hopefully. Dammit, he should have anticipated this. Teal'c had not believed the NID officer when Harris told him of McIntosh's apparent lack of involvement. Reaching for the receiver, he dialed the number in Virginia where the colonel said he could be reached. And really hoped the man wasn't there.


Daniel met Parker's glare with one of his own as the older man struggled to maintain control of his temper. After a short moment, he smiled coldly, "That was one, Daniel. Do not make me reach three. You will not like me, if I reach three."

Discretion being Daniel's true nature, he bit back the Jack-comment about not liking the other man now, and settled for a non-committal, "Oh. I see."

"I doubt that very seriously, but given the reports of your tenacity, I suspect you will." Parker sighed. "I know better, but I must really ask -it's only civilized - are you ready to talk with me now?" He held up a quick hand. "And no, not about the weather, Daniel. I wish to know about the journals, the map, the trail to Ra's hidden temple, and of course, the Doorway to the Stars."

Daniel's involuntary gasp of surprise was fortunately buried in a hacking cough that seemed to go on forever. By the time he'd stopped, he'd managed to get his brain around the idea that this man knew the original name for the Stargate. His coughing jag had caused him to double over in pain, and he was grateful for the solid door behind him that provided a little more cover than did his skimpy outfit. He stood to find the older man eyeing him coldly, but maintaining his distance.

"That is a very nasty sounding cough you have, Daniel. You really should take better care of yourself." If Parker was disappointed that his young prisoner did not take the bait, he did not show it. Instead, he moved toward a set of cabinet doors and opened them wide. "The journals would be nice to have, Daniel. They contain a complete inventory of what was found in Ra's tomb... what came back with your parents, as well as what stayed."

"What stayed?" The question slipped out before Daniel could prevent it.

"My dear boy, your parents were not stupid people. On the contrary, they were unusually intelligent. A miscalculation on my part, I admit. They brought back only enough artifacts to satisfy an ordinary backer's greed. They, of course, were hoping to gain the support of a museum, go back, and make a gigantic discovery, which would leave me out in the cold." He laughed loudly. "Unfortunately for them, I already knew that what they'd removed wasn't all of it."

"If you know so much about the artifacts, why haven't you gone back and gotten the rest of them yourself?"

"I had considered it, but the only reference I have to the location is on this ancient map," He pointed to the yellowed parchment behind him, "which does not correspond to any map known today. As you can see if you compare the old map on the left, with the modern map on the right. ... Oh wait, without your glasses, you cannot see it. Do come a little closer, Daniel."

Curiosity waged war with discretion in Daniel's mind. Curiosity won. Tugging absently at the hem of the short robe, he moved toward the map. The ancient document was protected by a thin layer of Plexiglas. The hieroglyphics drew Daniel in, and it wasn't long before he recognized the ancient cities of Thebes, Memphis, and Abydos on it's wildly inaccurate topography. And centered in the distortion were the hieroglyphics denoting the name of Ra, in what should be the southern part of Egypt. Southern Egypt? Heliopolis, the city of the sun was north of Cairo, in the ... A hand on his shoulder caused him to jump back in alarm. He'd forgotten Parker was in the room.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||